Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-20-2017, 9:54 AM Reply   
So I want to buy my bro a new mountain bike to replace his almost 20 year old Cannondale. My budget is about 1400 max. Giant is really the only name brand that makes a full suspension in that price point in the Stance. The frame is decent, but the build kit is just meh. I'm also not a fan of how they use flexion of the seat stays for the rear suspension.

Would I be better off with something like this 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8 (He has it listed as a 2013 but searching the frame color shows 2011)

It sucks because it seems like 2k is the cut off to get something really nice but just too much for me to spend. Is going as far back as 2011 too old to compare to that 2017 Giant?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2017, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have the 2016 Anthem advanced SX 27.5 which is very similar, the maestro rear shock and linkage system is amazing, eliminates almost all pedal Bob, it is a great system.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
The trek also looks like 26" wheels which is a bit of a bummer
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-20-2017, 11:16 AM Reply   
go to pinkbike.com look under buy and sell. They have a ton of used bikes in there.

Is he looking for a XC type bike or an all mountain bike.
For XC riding ( 100mm travel ) you cant go wrong with an older version Trek Fuel. look for a 9.8 model from 2010-12. They will be spec'd nicely and are really light. I still ride my 2005 Top Fuel religiously for XC because I have yet to find another newer XC bike with Full XTR all carbon frame and full suspension and full lockout at 25lbs. It climbs great and I can whip around wherever i want on the decent..

If you are looking for an all mtn bike (130-150mm travel front and back, your options are endless. You will have to buy used and at that price point the bikes will be on the low end of components and most likely you will be getting a heavy bike. 30+ lbs. My trail bike is a 2013 Santa Cruz Heckler 1x10. It has full lockout for when i'm climbing and 5.5" of travel. super fun bike and not expensive. you can find a good used 27.5" for right around $2000 and a really good 26" for $1000+. You just have to look..
my background. I have been riding and racing XC and DH for 20+ years now and I am still a huge fan of 26" wheels. Tried 29" and didn't like i but I am a fan of 27.5" in downhill, Bike Parks ( jumps) and rocky terrain . the 27.5 excels in those applications but it never helped my times in a downhill race vs my 26". just in confidence on certain terrain.

good luck in your search!

For $1400. you will be looking at a 26" wheel bike or a lower end 29". most of the nicely spec'd 27.5" wheel bikes will be $2000 plus.