Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2017, 10:07 PM Reply   
After 10 years, my old wetsuit crapped out so I'm looking hard at new ones. I've always worn back-zipped wetsuits, but I'm interested in the chest-zip ones too. Not sure which one is easier to put on/take off. I've always been a big fan of O'niell. Any opinions?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-29-2017, 1:33 AM Reply   
Chest zip is hardsr to get on but offers more continuity in the stretch because there's no zipper to pull on your back.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-29-2017, 9:41 AM Reply   
I bought an O'Neill Epic a couple months ago and love it. But it's a back zipper and it's easiest to have someone else zip it up. Down is not a problem.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2017, 9:06 AM Reply   
Chest zip is a little tougher on/off, but the benefits are definitely worth it to me. The suit is a lot more flexible because there isnt a stiff point running down your back, and there is less chance for water to get in your suit

I use the Oneill Psycho fuze zip and its awesome.
John, the Oneill Superfreak is the same suit as the Epic, but it has a chest zip. It's a good price for a chest zip if you dont need to handle really cold conditions.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2017, 10:28 AM Reply   
My advice is spend the money on a top of the line suit. Your last one lasted 10 years so it's an investment in staying warm, enjoying longer sets and extending your season.

I have an O'Neill Psycho 2 and love it but I'm quite sure that there are better suits out since I bought mine 7 years ago. My wife has a top of the line Rip Curl and she loves it. The little water that gets in her suit dries out super fast as well because of the inner material.

The best wetsuits will keep you dry and will only let in water in a hard crash.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-30-2017, 2:19 PM Reply   
Definitely spend the money and get a high end suit. It's worth the investment. I have an Oneill Psycho 3 and love it
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2017, 6:11 PM Reply   
I usually only wear it 4-8 times a year. The last one I had was a generic suit. I'm in NorCal so delta, river and lakes is where I need it. I'm not looking to save money. I just want something good. Are there any NorCal brick and mortar stores that stock a decent selection near Sacramento? I'm sure I could head to Santa Cruz, but that's almost 3 hours away.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2017, 6:14 PM Reply   
I also just got the O'neill split toe heat boots. Never tried them before. Hope they work out.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2017, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I usually only wear it 4-8 times a year. The last one I had was a generic suit. I'm in NorCal so delta, river and lakes is where I need it. I'm not looking to save money. I just want something good. Are there any NorCal brick and mortar stores that stock a decent selection near Sacramento? I'm sure I could head to Santa Cruz, but that's almost 3 hours away.
You wont find a decent shop up there to try on suits.

It is worth it to head to Santa Cruz. There huge Oneill store has everything to try on, plus across the street from the main store is their outlet that has past season suits for 40% off. I get all my suits from the Oneill Outlet
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       01-31-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have 2 Xcel Infinity suits (3/2 and a 4/3) with the TDC interior. I was out riding at 4200' here in UT until mid nov with no problems in the 4/3. I'm impressed with the warmth and flexibility. I've also had one of their dry lock suits in the past, but I didn't like the flexibility with it. O'Neill makes great suits as well.

Chest entry is a little bit of a pain in the rump, but you get used to it. Once on though, I felt it flexed better and was warmer than older rear entry suits I have had.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-31-2017, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
I have 2 Xcel Infinity suits (3/2 and a 4/3) with the TDC interior. I was out riding at 4200' here in UT until mid nov with no problems in the 4/3. I'm impressed with the warmth and flexibility. I've also had one of their dry lock suits in the past, but I didn't like the flexibility with it. O'Neill makes great suits as well.

Chest entry is a little bit of a pain in the rump, but you get used to it. Once on though, I felt it flexed better and was warmer than older rear entry suits I have had.
I've got an Xcel 4/3 revolt and my wive has the 4/3 infiniti x2. They were between 250 and 350 each on Amazon. We have never felt restricted by it and it worked great everywhere from 50 degree to 75 degree water. (never rode it in colder). I'm sure some would say that in our temperatures we could of managed with 3/2, and I agree. But I hate being cold and I never felt restricted by the 4/3 AT ALL. So it was a win win.

The only complaint about the wetsuit is it's a hassle to put on. But this is universal with ALL wetsuits. You get used to the front zip, so it's not an issue. But putting it on when it's wet, after you have ridden once, is a big hassle.

The only thing I want to mention is that I got a dry suit this year and I haven't touched my wetsuit since. MUCH easier to put on and you stay dry. My wife and I LOVE IT. So you can always think about that option as well.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2017, 1:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
You wont find a decent shop up there to try on suits.

It is worth it to head to Santa Cruz. There huge Oneill store has everything to try on, plus across the street from the main store is their outlet that has past season suits for 40% off. I get all my suits from the Oneill Outlet
Okay, ROAD TRIP!!! Whoohoo!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-04-2017, 8:55 AM Reply   
The major wetsuit brands are all made by the same company in Taiwan with the exception of Rip Curl. The brands differentiate each other with the fit and the first to launch the newest "quick dry, super stretch" neoprene.

http://stabmag.com/news/every-wetsui...by-these-guys/

So find the brand that fits you best and go with that. You don't need to drop $400 to get a decent suit you only wear 4-8 times per year. If you take care of it: rinse it out after use, hang dry out of the sun, don't store it in a hot car/boat, they will last you many years.

I have a couple 3/2 Rip Curl e-bomb suits and a Xcel 4/3 that fit me good which I wear 100+ times per year and each of them are over 3 years old. Unless you are riding in water less than 56 degrees you only need a 3/2.
I also prefer the chest zip, I think they are easier to get on than the back zip.

Last edited by nuckledragger; 02-04-2017 at 8:58 AM. Reason: *
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-04-2017, 5:30 PM Reply   
I would have to disagree with above. There are plenty of times with water greater than 56, a bit windy, and cloudy where you would be damn glad you have a 4/3. I would say a good 4/3 is pretty awesome. I have a full dry suit and my buddy has a good 4/3 and he pretty much goes as long as me in the season.

I another friend got a 5/4/3...pretty cheap and it is awesome too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quiksilver-S...fuvAQ6TKvEx9Hw
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-04-2017, 6:21 PM Reply   
Stopped off at two of the Oneill, Billabong and Rip Curl stores in Santa Cruz on my way to San Luis Obispo to visit our daughter today. Gonna check out a shop in SLO tomorrow if I can make time and still be able to get back home in time for the super bowl. Chest zips are not the easiest to get into and almost impossible to get out of although they sure are comfy and stretchy when on. Most of the stuff in stock in Santa Cruz is 4/3.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-05-2017, 7:59 AM Reply   
Oneill Psycho or SuperFreak, the stretch and fit of the new materials is amazing. There is a back zip Psycho I believe
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-05-2017, 8:05 AM Reply   
I've heard good things about Excel. Any opinions on them?
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-06-2017, 10:09 AM Reply   
As I mentioned, my wifes Xcel and my Xcel worked great for a year. Our friend that rides with us has a cheaper xcel and has wore it down to 50 degree water this year and is happy with it.

I will also disagree with needing only 3/2 for down to 56. I am SO glad I got a 4/3. With how stretchy the new materials are, I don't know why you wouldn't. I don't feel restricted at all by it. I suppose it would ultimately depend on the person though. One of the people I ride with has a 3/2 with small hole in it and still rides with us and is fine. I think some people care more or less about being cold. There are some people that purposeful go for swins in ice cold water! You should know what kind of person you are.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2017, 11:41 AM Reply   
^^^Hmm. Maybe I should consider a 4/3. I only tried on the 3/2's. The cost difference is minimal. As for my sensitivity to cold, I'm right there with your average 3 year old little girl.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2017, 12:14 PM Reply   
In Norcal you will want a 4/3. Modern suits are so stretchy that you dont notice the difference in flex/stretch, but you will notice a big difference in warmth.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-06-2017, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
^^^Hmm. Maybe I should consider a 4/3. I only tried on the 3/2's. The cost difference is minimal. As for my sensitivity to cold, I'm right there with your average 3 year old little girl.
100% get a 4/3 then. Don't even risk it man. You will never be "too warm" from the thickness.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2017, 12:27 PM Reply   
^^^Good to know. Just wish I would have tried on a 4/3. Duh.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2017, 8:09 AM Reply   
Just skip wetsuits completely...Get a dry suit they are so much better for boat based sports.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-07-2017, 9:46 AM Reply   
Go to whiskeymilitia.com or download the app. Go into the Private Stash section. They have wetsuits for 50%+ off. I surf out here in Socal year round and go thru a couple wetsuits each year 4/3 and 3/2. You can go on right now and get a 3/2 XCEL Infinity Comp X2 front zip for $167 ( normally $320) This is a fully taped and glued seam wetsuit that I wear in water as cold as 55-65 degree water. Any colder I go to my 4/3. These wetsuits are so comfy and stretch very well.

good luck and have fun
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-07-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
take note that the 4/3 will be more constrictive that the 3/2. It may not make that much difference wakeboarding but surfing you can definitely feel it after a day of paddling out. That being said a 4/3 will be great on a cold day with cold water. But there have been times where I have had my 4/3 on in 53 degree water but 70+ degrees outside and I was miserable. I was sweating and was hot in it. So cold water and cold weahter 4/3, Cold water and warm weather 3/2. Just my .02cents
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-10-2017, 11:49 AM Reply   
i recommend a Camarao BlackTec suit. it very thin, and keeps you unbelievably warm. In fact its warmer than my drysuit.

http://www.camaro.at/en/wasserski/bl...hp?id=63279542
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2017, 7:32 AM Reply   
I bought my Xcel 4/3 for whiskeymilitia.com 4-5 years ago for about 175.00 bucks

Is say go 4/3 too. I can ride a full set and when I get out the only thing wet on me is my legs from the knees down, my arms and a-little around my neck. My bathing suit will be almost dry. It make staying warm in the boat so much easier.

I know what E Double is saying about it being to hot but all you have to do to cool off is drop the handle and float in the 50 degree water for a few moments. It will cool you off real quick even if you not getting that wet.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2017, 1:38 PM Reply   
coated seams