Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-28-2013, 9:16 PM Reply   
$5k is the budget. What bike do I need to have?

Right now I'm riding a Bianchi 1885 with Campy Veloce. It's a nice bike, but I'd like something a bit lighter and that is more comfortable over the long haul. The 1885 is fast, but the aluminum/carbon blend is rough over bumps and it's a twitchy bastard. Kinda rides like a crit bike. Sprints and climbs well. Takes a lot of focus to descend on. Never wants to go straight.

I was thinking of a bike with Campy Chorus or Shimano Ultegra. I've never ridden a bike with SRAM. I'm sure it's worth a look.

I'm kinda digging the Merlin Ultralight:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fr...omplete%20Bike

What says the WW cyclists?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2013, 9:24 PM Reply   
Comfy and fast. Outstanding value with Ultegra DI2 @ 4800:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...0/11496/55813/
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-28-2013, 9:26 PM Reply   
The Merlin is def pretty sick tho
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
I rode a kestrel evoke carbon bike for the past 8 years.

In January I picked up last year's giant tcr 2 (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/9006/48838/)

I can't believe I waited this long to get a new bike. Handling is fabulous... it's a great descender (much much better than the kestrel), and when the ride gets beyond 50 miles is where I can really feel the comfort of the bike. Yeah my old bike was carbon too, but this new generation of carbon is dialed. Makes the old bike seem so dated (and the kestrel was a huge improvement over the alu bike I'd been riding before it).
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Buy what fits and what moves you (emotional). So many options at that price point.

Around that price personally I'd look at a custom Boo http://boobicycles.com Buddy of mine has their cyclocross bike that they cloned the Argon Gallium geometry when building it. So it's kinda a beefy road bike, had road bike geometry but cyclocross toughness. Rides soooooo nice.

I love they way Ti rides, I have an older LItespeed that I've converted to a road fixie and the spring in the frame is very nice. Have done many 100+ mile days on that bike with gears and fixed. The Merlin is something I'd love to take for a ride.

I picked up a pair of Argon bikes for this season, very refined rides. In general I find carbon a bit dead feeling but I love my Argon frames. Plus you don't see many of them out there.

Regarding SRAM, you need to a take a bike with it out for a spin. You'll find it feels different than Campy or Shimano. I personally like SRAM best on the road and for Tri's, The shifting is so positive. My current Tri bike is running SRAM and set up for electronic shifting which could be a Christmas present, or maybe I *need* a new road bike with electric shifting on it... hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by magic; 05-29-2013 at 7:20 AM. Reason: .....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Sean, that's funny.... Sinclair Imports is here and I swear every second or third new bike I see out on the road is an Argon. All the fast kids have them.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-29-2013, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Sean, that's funny.... Sinclair Imports is here and I swear every second or third new bike I see out on the road is an Argon. All the fast kids have them.
I have a E116 and E99 Electron Pro I'm digging on this year. The E99 is a very nice riding track frame. Really keeps the power down and smoooooths out our local velodrome.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-29-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
5 grand bikes are way out of my league but I think you need to first figure out if you want an aggressive racing geometry bike or something a little more relaxed with a lower center of gravity, longer wheel base and taller headtube. It seems a lot of companies now are making really high end, light and fast endurance/race bikes like the Specialized Roubaix, Giant Defy and Felt Z series. The Defy andvanced 0 looks like a pretty awesome bike. I am sure there are some other companies out there that have high end carbon frames in a slightly more relaxed geometry. I like the idea of finding something you don't see every day.

Also, like Sean said actually riding some and finding one that fits you well is the most important thing.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
Ahhhh.... Decisions, decisions.

Two votes for Giant. I'll have to see if I can go ride one.

My local shop sells Argon. They look nice. I'll have to set up a ride.

I really love the Campagnolo on my bike now. The Veloce is the last of the all aluminum components. Not as light, but they sure are pretty. I was always a Shimano guy before that, and I like the shape of the hoods better for long days. I think I'll like the shape of the SRAM, but I'm not completely sold on how they shift. Do you ever have trouble with getting a down shift when you're looking for an upshift? I do love a very sharp, mechanical shift. If I have one complaint with my Campy it's that the throw from small to large chainring is pretty big. It can be balky from the drops.

I've never owned a Ti bike, but have ridden a few. I loved the compromise between weight and lively ride. All the ones that I rode had the "steel" bike feel. I actually like the way my Aluminum/Carbon bike rides, but damn it beats you up after a long ride. 45 miles in and I'm usually ready to make a break for my couch. I'd like to demo the Merlin, but I don't have a local shop that sells them.

What's the take on electronic shifting? Do I "need" it, or should I steer clear? It's kinda like an answer in search of a question if you ask me. I don't really have any issue with cables. Is it lighter? What's the point?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-29-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
+1 giant
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-29-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
If you think you might want to try ti what about a fully custom fitted Seven Axiom? You can get one with full Sram Force for under 5 grand or about 6 grand with full red. From the people I have talked to that have had these built for them they are amazing.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I've owned a serotta in the past and the tcr, which is really just giant's mass produced off the rack carbon race geometry, is so much more bike. I've ridden steel, alu, ti and carbon in the past. The latest generation of carbon has advanced a lot from where it was a decade ago. leaps and bounds.

If dead sexy is the goal, nothing beats campy hanging on a lugged steel frame. But for bang for the buck functionality and performance, a shimano equipped mass produced carbon bike won't let you down. The new shimano hoods are a lot different than they were 10 years ago (more campy like where you can run flat bar top to hoods without sticking the hoods up in the air like antlers).

I've heard nothing but good things about electronic shifting.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
You guys are no help... hahaha.

I've never owned a mass produced bike. I guess there is something to be said about the size and ability of a company like Giant or Specialized. We have another local shop that does specialized. Looks like I'll go ride a couple of those, too.

At this point I think I am leaning toward SRAM Force or Ultegra in this price range.

Next question: Most of the new bikes have compact cranks of some variety. What's the deal? Will a 50/12 combo get it done, and does anyone really need a 34/26 combo? My bike has a 53/39, 12/26 right now and the only thing I may change is to a 52. With the hills around my house I use the 53/12 fairly regularly.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
Giant owns the factories that build bikes that get stickers put on them for other manufacturers. Are you sure bianchi actually made the 1885's frame? At the pricepoint that bike sold at, I'd sure be surprised if it wasn't built in Taiwan with 99.999% of other bikes in that price range.

Sram makes an 11 tooth cassette, so 50/34 and a 26-11 cassette will do just fine, and give a lot more low end gearing options. I've got a compact on my TT bike and with an 11 it might not provide the gearing bradley wiggins needs, but it's plenty tall enough for mortals.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 05-29-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2013, 12:30 PM Reply   
The Giant Defy is rocking the endurance category, give it a ride. Thumbs up for the Cervelo R3 too.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Shawn, my '07 has a "made in Italy" sticker on it and says it was made in their reparto corsa, but who knows. I wouldn't be suprised if it was Taiwanese at the price.

50/34 with a 26/11 sounds like a nice combo. Are you running SRAM on your TCR, or Ultegra. The bike you linked looks very nice at that price point.
Old    sperbet            05-29-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
Whichever you choose, make sure to get some really cool matching spandex.

Oh, and make sure to completely avoid using the bike lane so that I have to go head on into oncoming traffic to avoid you. That way I'll feel better about yelling at you and honking as I pass.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2013, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Shawn, my '07 has a "made in Italy" sticker on it and says it was made in their reparto corsa, but who knows. I wouldn't be suprised if it was Taiwanese at the price.

50/34 with a 26/11 sounds like a nice combo. Are you running SRAM on your TCR, or Ultegra. The bike you linked looks very nice at that price point.
The TCR (last year's, old stock purchased in 2013) is a full ultegra group with tradition 53/39 crank. I got it for under $2700 out the door with tax and everything. I've ridden dura ace for the past decade and was a bit concerned about downgrading a component group, but so far, about 3000 miles in, I'm really happy.

Believe it or not I have a compact on my TT bike (cervelo p2c) and have no problem doing 27-28 mph (well of course I have a problem, my fat arse, but it's not gearing that's holding me back).

I use a powertap and these days that I'm not racing I leave the 26/11 on all the time and just switch the rear wheel between the two bikes. It's definitely a bit overgeared on the tcr, but it's kinda nice for doing long descents, which we have a few of around me.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-29-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperbet View Post
Whichever you choose, make sure to get some really cool matching spandex.

Oh, and make sure to completely avoid using the bike lane so that I have to go head on into oncoming traffic to avoid you. That way I'll feel better about yelling at you and honking as I pass.
You should definitely honk, pass, and then make a right turn right in front of him.

(there's a road race out at boca tonight. Be nice!)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
Scott, you're getting old. Starting to sound like a snow skiier. We can discuss this weekend over some Tequila.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-29-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Take a look at Pinarello, next year I am buying a FP Due, FP Quattro or Rokh
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-29-2013, 11:30 PM Reply   
TCR is great, I have two. Can't compare Giant and Specialized.
Old    sperbet            05-30-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Scott, you're getting old. Starting to sound like a snow skiier. We can discuss this weekend over some Tequila.
Haha. Just giving you a hard time. Sounds good.

If you've got easy access to one of your old Vibe's (not at Orwood), could you bring one up?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
buy a bike yet or what?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
Eh, been looking around a bunch. Nothing really scratched the itch. I finally decided that I wanted a carbon bike. I liked the Pinarello's a lot, but didn't like that (in my price range) they don't get full component groups. The Aragon 18's had the same deal in my range.

My local bike shops were not much help. One had Specialized and I decided that I wasn't in love with them.

Electronic shifting was not too high on my list, so I narrowed to the standard Ultegra and SRAM Force groups.

Ultimately I read a lot of reviews and looked at a ton of bikes. In the end I think I found a great deal on a 2012 Ridley Damocles with full SRAM Force. It's an older frame, but its won a ton of races and gotten rave reviews for ride quality.

So, it's in the mail. I think it'll be a huge step up from my Bianchi. I sized down a bit, too. I was right in between sizes on the Bianchi when I bought it and I sized up (should have sized down).

So, there it is.... I'll post a review after I get it set up. Couldn't pass up a $3800 bike for $2400.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fr...ike%20-%202012
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
dead sexy.

A lot of guys here ride Ridley because Sinclair imports them. Never heard anyone complain about one.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2013, 10:14 PM Reply   
I'd like to add a Ridley to my "stable", nice nice nice bikes.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2013, 1:05 AM Reply   
My mate has a Ridley Noah, he loves it
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-24-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
Ridley's must be pretty solid bikes. I know there are quite a few out here in the Seattle area.