Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-04-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
My wife and I got home this AM and there was a photo shoot going on behind our house. I recognised the rider as Reed Hansen. Anyway he was try a backside kickflip. We watched him try maybe 30 times and then he landed one. Pretty darn impressive.

frank
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-04-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Cool what lake???
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-04-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Dang... remember wakeskates from like 2000? Foam-pads mounted on basically a Motive? Things have progressed just a little bit since then...
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-04-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
Lake Holden Orlando
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-04-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
I actually bought on of the first LF skates that was all Foam back in like 1999 i think!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2009, 11:34 PM Reply   
Those things are not easy. Although it does give me a little hope knowing it takes him 30 tries to land one, lol.

Oh well, 29-1 is still better than 300-0 :-(

(Message edited by dlwsrider on September 04, 2009)
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-05-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
I remember seeing that exact one at boardshop (long since closed), and thinking "I've stood up on a boogie board before and it doesn't go so well..."
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-05-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
I dont wakeskate but wakeskaters are sick...i have only been around since 06 and have seen so much progression from these guys..mad props to all who wakeskate it takes massive skills..
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-05-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
Was it w2w? Reed is so consistent when it comes to edging out and doing them in the flats. As well as bs bigger flips and if you havent the slightest clue what that is check out his contest run at 1:29 (big spin + kickflip) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIGRhej1ts :-)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
In my opinion, wakeskating just doesn't have the WOW factor like wakeboarding, even though basic stuff is way more difficult. Gotta say though, that shot of Grubb hitting the DU on the cover of WBM is sick. I love seeing skaters go big. They need to do more of that.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-06-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Its super sick that wakeboarders support wakeskaters... and wakeskaters support wakeboarders! thats what this sport needs unlike snowboarding and down hill skiing where the boarders hate the skiiers and vice versa !!!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
"In my opinion, wakeskating just doesn't have the WOW factor like wakeboarding, even though basic stuff is way more difficult."

As a wakeskater, I totally agree. It's not nearly as impressive to the average person, but anyone who has been around wakeboarding can understand the technical aspect of it.

It's cool though when I land back bigs or kickflips and the boat cheers. I do the same when my friends land Dum Dums and such. Support. That's what it's all about.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
yeah wakeskating isnt as fun to watch, but its super fun to do. In my opinion harder too, took me forever just to learn an inside-out shuv it, once i finally landed one and rode away, nobody in the boat cared haha, I spiked the handle, in true celebratory form. Guys are doin w2w front sid flips, w2w tre flips, the progression is getting mad, theres only room for more
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
"In my opinion, wakeskating just doesn't have the WOW factor like wakeboarding, even though basic stuff is way more difficult."

I totally agree that the average person cant appreciate what they are seeing.

But ive heard from specators at rail events that they like watching wakeskating on rails way more then wakeboarders on rails because there is so much more they can do.
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-06-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
depends on who youre talking to. show wakeboarding to that kid wearing tight jeans at the skate park and he will laugh at you. show wakeskating to the guy with a xstar and he will say but you cant go upside down whats the point. people get wowed differently.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
agreed kampus, personally I get wowed by both.