Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-05-2017, 3:37 PM Reply   
Our G23 is a couple years old now and about to be out of warranty next season. I'm looking at alternatives to Nautique right now and was wondering if anyone could give feedback on a pre-2016 G23 vs. new Supra SA. It's a bonus that it's less money but I don't want to downgrade. Is the SA wakeboard wake wider/narrower, as big, tough to get even on both sides, good transition, is it vertical or rampy, etc? How slow can you ride it? I figure it must be a great wake for pros if it's used on the tour but is it still good for an average rider? Would I even notice much of a difference between a SA and a G23?

How does the surf wake size, push, steepness, adjustability compare?

We'll absolutely take the supra for a test ride but I find that setup makes all the difference and it's tough to get enough time in a demo to get the wake the way a person likes it. For example, we found the 2017 G23 surf wake way too steep for us. We had a couple hours and tried adjusting NCRS, NSS and speed but it didn't seem to help. Later they told us that dropping weight in the back is the solution.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       09-11-2017, 7:52 PM Reply   
I had a 2016 SA. I added 200 pounds of lead mainly on surf side. The advanced wakeboard wake is as much as any non pro could want. My 6 year old daughter rode at 17 and it was good. The surf wave was great and only got better as the crew increased. I cannot give much on the G. The 2017 SL is a little bigger and priced less than a G. Give it a look as well.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-11-2017, 11:40 PM Reply   
I have ridden both a a SA and a 2015 G23 and a 2015 G23.
I come from a nautique 210, after riding my buddies G23 , I would go back to my boat (even though it puts a pretty good wake) and be sad. We started looking at new boats this Fall. My wife didn't want to go back to skiers choice after being in a nautique. I finally convinced her to look at the 2017 SA. The 2018 has a lot of cool upgrades from the 2017.

Wakeboard Wake 22.5mph @70ft
We filled it to stock and the wake was very similar to the G23. I actually liked it better. Lots of transition and a good solid lip

We then had him empty ballast and Slow it down to 17 and the wake was very clean(this doesn't happen on a g)

Surf Wake
My wife surfed it on the Goofy side with 2 people in the boat and a extra 500 lbs. The wake was again just as good as a g, but she could surf way father back( she surfs usually 10-15ft back) and still have good push.

The two bonus features I like, is that it is way less $'s and you can actually slalom behind it, go figure.

We are now trying to decide between the Sl and SA
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-12-2017, 8:38 AM Reply   
I've not ridden behind either enough to judge personally, but we are friends with some of the pros (including a couple on the Supra PWT). None speak negatively about the Supra's (even candidly), but every pro we know would prefer to ride behind the G. They, also, all hype the M235 as well as being even better than the G, but you're of course looking at even more money if you go that route.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-12-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockthis View Post
I have ridden both a a SA and a 2015 G23 and a 2015 G23.
I come from a nautique 210, after riding my buddies G23 , I would go back to my boat (even though it puts a pretty good wake) and be sad. We started looking at new boats this Fall. My wife didn't want to go back to skiers choice after being in a nautique. I finally convinced her to look at the 2017 SA. The 2018 has a lot of cool upgrades from the 2017.

Wakeboard Wake 22.5mph @70ft
We filled it to stock and the wake was very similar to the G23. I actually liked it better. Lots of transition and a good solid lip

We then had him empty ballast and Slow it down to 17 and the wake was very clean(this doesn't happen on a g)

Surf Wake
My wife surfed it on the Goofy side with 2 people in the boat and a extra 500 lbs. The wake was again just as good as a g, but she could surf way father back( she surfs usually 10-15ft back) and still have good push.

The two bonus features I like, is that it is way less $'s and you can actually slalom behind it, go figure.

We are now trying to decide between the Sl and SA
Thanks for the feedback. That's great that the SA is clean at 17 mph - I figured you'd have to go to a BU to get that. The G23 can be clean down to 19mph doesn't have much lip at all until you start loading it up. Late this season I finally figured out that if you add more weight in the back with less in the front you get a wake with great kick.

There's a leftover 2017 for about $40K less than the G. 2018's are about $15K more so not a huge savings over a G23 - It seems like Nautiques hold their value better here so that may not be the best decision.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-12-2017, 12:52 PM Reply   
The decision is very easy. The G23 is a way better boat than the SA in every which way. Wakeworld drinks to much of the Supra flavored Kool-Aid

My neighbor has an 2016 SA and that boat lives in the shop, grant it, the dealer is a joke, but I have seen the ins and outs of the boat and I wasn't impressed. The rough water ride is horrendous, it was so bad even my wife (who knows ZERO about boats) made a comment about the ride. My neighbor bought the boat because of the great deal they got.

Whether Wakeworld wants to believe it or not, the Supra line doesn't have a history of a being a premium line of boats and are still not on the same level of Nautique or MC. Just because they build new boats and throw a large price tag at them, doesn't mean they are a top tier boat.

The resale on the G will be a lot better and the fit and finish are second to none. The G is an incredible boat and will always be that way. The wakeboard wake is the best and the surf wave when weighted properly can be very good.

Go with the G and don't look back. What you spend on the front end wont be lost on the back end.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-12-2017, 2:54 PM Reply   
I have a Nautique and ride Nautiques, I have seen some that have issues too, props fall off etc... In canada I am 32k difference for a 2018 Sa to a G23 2018 so it seems like a pretty no Brainer for my family. 30 k buys a lot of gas.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       09-13-2017, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
The decision is very easy. The G23 is a way better boat than the SA in every which way. Wakeworld drinks to much of the Supra flavored Kool-Aid

My neighbor has an 2016 SA and that boat lives in the shop, grant it, the dealer is a joke, but I have seen the ins and outs of the boat and I wasn't impressed. The rough water ride is horrendous, it was so bad even my wife (who knows ZERO about boats) made a comment about the ride. My neighbor bought the boat because of the great deal they got.

Whether Wakeworld wants to believe it or not, the Supra line doesn't have a history of a being a premium line of boats and are still not on the same level of Nautique or MC. Just because they build new boats and throw a large price tag at them, doesn't mean they are a top tier boat.

The resale on the G will be a lot better and the fit and finish are second to none. The G is an incredible boat and will always be that way. The wakeboard wake is the best and the surf wave when weighted properly can be very good.

Go with the G and don't look back. What you spend on the front end wont be lost on the back end.

^^ Fake news! Don't even read this garbage.

First time I have read anywhere someone trashing Supra. The G being a great boat and good resale is only true statement above. SA Rough water ride bad? Never heard that before.

Last edited by Rusty1977; 09-13-2017 at 6:00 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2017, 6:54 AM Reply   
My opinion and I am a Supra guy for disclaimer purposes....
To touch on a few comments above.
-I re-sell my Supra every year and never had an issue selling it. Just sold my SA in 1 week in the off season. Never had an issue with Supra resale in 14 years.
-Yes the G is a great boat and also has great re-sale. Especially if you can get the price to around 100k. Over 100k G's don't sell as quick cause people will buy new
-I think it is a true statement to say that Supra did not compete with MC, Nautique 5-10 years ago. It was a great boat for a great value in those years. It is a different era now. Much better fit, finish, wake, wave, innovation, quality all around. If you don't see that, you have blinders on. The price is still significantly less!!!
-As far as rough water ride..... I would say none of them are great. We don't buy wake boats for rough water. They share similar hull designs to create the wake/wave we desire. I have ridden in both in rough water and there is no huge difference either way. I am happy with the rough water ride in my Supra for sure.
-I personally think the wave and wake are comparable on both boats

In recap.... They are both awesome boats. The G is awesome and really got us to where all these wake boats are going. Never would I dis it and say it is a bad boat. If I was loaded and money was no object I would probably have one in my garage next to my Supra, but I don't. Supra makes an insanely nice boat now and nice wave and it is much less money than the G. My dealer support is second to none and Skiers Choice has been second to none. That is why I stick with Supra, but in the end you have to go with your heart and not what all the internet creepers say...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-13-2017, 12:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post

Lol who is drinking the Kool-Aid here? Just accept it, there are other companies who can build boats just as nice or nicer than your precious Nautique, and they can do it for significantly cheaper.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-13-2017, 1:58 PM Reply   
"We don't buy wake boats for rough water. "

Thank you. That one makes me roll my eyes every time. In a sport that's all about smooth water, rough water ride is the last thing I'm thinking about. And in my 15 years of wakeboarding experience, the rough ride is always the fault of the driver, not the boat. If you're doing 35 across a choppy, rolled out lake, any boat is going to beat the hell out of you.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2017, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Lol who is drinking the Kool-Aid here? Just accept it, there are other companies who can build boats just as nice or nicer than your precious Nautique, and they can do it for significantly cheaper.
I don't own a Nautique so Im not drinking any Kool-Aid other than stating facts. The last I checked Supra, Bu, MC are all very comparable when it comes to price. The G is leading the way with price, but they aren't the most expensive.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2017, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
"We don't buy wake boats for rough water. "

Thank you. That one makes me roll my eyes every time. In a sport that's all about smooth water, rough water ride is the last thing I'm thinking about. And in my 15 years of wakeboarding experience, the rough ride is always the fault of the driver, not the boat. If you're doing 35 across a choppy, rolled out lake, any boat is going to beat the hell out of you.
I think there was a thread a few months back about a boat made for a 7 foot garage. I got blasted because I stated that we shouldn't worry about this and with more freeboard comes boats not fitting in garages.

To me rough water ride is important. Im not talking about going off shore, but Im talking about crossing other waves and the boat feeling firm. Or if you have to run in a large body to get to the other side to smooth water. Flatter hull boats ride a lot different (ie the G, Supra, Bu) that boats that extend the V to the rear (i.e. Centurion, a few MCs, MB). But there are also so things that you give up along the way.

Regardless, crossing a wave in a Supra SA vs a MC X23 while pulling a rider, there is different feeling and one that my wife even noticed. Just my thoughts.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2017, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1977 View Post
^^ Fake news! Don't even read this garbage.

First time I have read anywhere someone trashing Supra. The G being a great boat and good resale is only true statement above. SA Rough water ride bad? Never heard that before.
If all you do is read wakeworld, Supra is a far superior boat that BU, MC, and CC. We all know that is fake news.

So because you never heard it, it doesn't exist?

In my personal experience, Supra isn't what I read on here at all or what Tyler has stated. Grant it, the dealer network is poor here. But, like Tyler said, he has had great fortune with Supra and he always has killer looking boats. He has a great dealer that takes care of him and that's part it.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       09-13-2017, 2:58 PM Reply   
Dave you may be right if I relied on ww as my sole source of information. I own a Supra and from what I read it's inferior to the others. Seems like all the love goes to mc, bu, nautique, and a few others. So maybe that's all in the eye of the reader!!

Back to the op. Instead of wake or wave ( because all can be plenty good). Big decision points should be dealer relationship, budget, and of course which one do you like to look at. I thing g is an awesome looking boat. Would love to have one. Same with Malibu. I have a great relationship with Supra dealer and they fit my budget. Hence the Supra ownership.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-13-2017, 3:31 PM Reply   
#MBSports fixes the argument
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2017, 4:41 PM Reply   
Wakeworld is all about Nautique kook-aide....esp G23 flavored. That said, money no object wake and surf boat...G23 sets the bar.

However, $40k difference is a pretty big difference in price. I'd take a 2017 SA for $40k less all day long.

And again....who cares about rough water ride.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-13-2017, 11:06 PM Reply   
Or you could check this out...
The new Supra SL wake dude wakeboard review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjueuwEC6qc
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-14-2017, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockthis View Post
Or you could check this out...
The new Supra SL wake dude wakeboard review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjueuwEC6qc
SL definitely compares better to the G when it comes to features. Sub floor ballast, space for cooler in the floor, dual sub, etc. Plus it has a surf locker and a power tower, both of which you won't find on any nautique.
Old     (Riddlen4u)      Join Date: Mar 2016       09-14-2017, 1:34 PM Reply   
Oddly enough I am in this same dilemma right now. We are looking at buying a either a 2013 G23 or a 16 SA, both comparable in price. I laugh at the boat snob comments, mostly because the fit and finish of the SA is amazing and the lines of the boat are fantastic. Resale is evidently great for both brands because I am struggling to find anyone wanting to give me a GOOD deal.
However, we recently test drove and surfed both boats and there is no comparison when it comes to surf wave. Stock setup on the SA was pitiful and even after playing with all the settings I couldn't even throw the rope back. The G23 had awesome push and needed no dialing in. Both boats had killer looking wakeboard wakes fully loaded. Even though I will have no warranty I am leaning heavily toward the G because 1- it needs no bags so all of the lockers are for storage and 2- I'm 38 yrs old so I mainly surf now. I don't understand how so many of boats are sold as "Surf" boats but stock setup is terrible.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-14-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
SL definitely compares better to the G when it comes to features. Sub floor ballast, space for cooler in the floor, dual sub, etc. Plus it has a surf locker and a power tower, both of which you won't find on any nautique.
I talked to the dealer and he suggested the 2018 SL as well but it was about $10K more than the SA. They are also a MC dealer and a decently loaded 2018 xstar was less than $20K more (just to throw another boat in the mix. lol) I wan't a fan of the last xstar at all but the videos of the new one makes it look promising. Hopefully I'll be heading down to the boarding school again in a couple months and can get a bit of time behind it.

Our season is just about over anyways so I'll probably see what the dealers can do at the boat show.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-14-2017, 3:31 PM Reply   
pm sent YYC
Old     (kevinstephens)      Join Date: Jun 2017       09-14-2017, 5:13 PM Reply   
Here are some additional ideas: http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/boat-reviews
__________________________________________________ _______
Towing Springfield VA