Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       06-21-2017, 6:08 AM Reply   
I ride Goofy, and everything I see and have been told is to create the wave so that it is toe side... WHY?

I feel like my natural body turn is heel side turning my front foot out, so if I were on the other side of the wave I would naturally turn into is easier... also I seem to be heel heavy anyway, which would push me towards the wave...

Just looking for insight to this... maybe I am completely missing something.

and as far as riding switch, I am like a newborn giraffe.....

Thanks
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-21-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Just have fun. When I started wakesurfing, I always rode backside because the starboard wake was better. I considered myself a "backstar" rider, meaning my preferred spot behind the boat was backside on the starboard wake. I mostly ride frontport now but I'll ride backstar here and there just to keep the skills up or just to avoid going through a reset of the ballast and sucgate and just get a quick surf ride in.

Don't let anybody tell you what's right and what's wrong. There's no such thing.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-21-2017, 7:03 AM Reply   
I like backhand riding in the ocean, but it is way more difficult on the smaller waves generated by wake boats.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2017, 2:10 PM Reply   
Starboard is the right side of the boat. Port is the left.

Do what you like. I'm goofy and have been wakesurfing since around 2000. Most inboards (including the 3 I've owned) traditionally tend to make a better wave on the port side due to prop rotation, older Nautiques being the exception. I and most of my goofy riding buddies learned to ride backside, and spent the last 15+ years doing that. I made a suckgate last year, and now I have a great wave on both sides. Riding frontside was almost like starting over.

Last edited by trace; 07-07-2017 at 2:12 PM.