Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-04-2016, 10:34 PM Reply   
In the market for a new truck, considering a new Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7L

Does anybody here tow with one?

What kind of MPG are you getting while towing?

Is the power there?
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-04-2016, 10:49 PM Reply   
Pulls my loaded Sanger and loaded bed with ease. 6500lbs or so over the California grapevine or out to the river. I don't regret my 2011 crewmax purchase one bit. I would personally only go to a newer Tundra or Duramax over it, unless my wife absolutely had to have a Tahoe.

I get 14.5-15 MPG mixed. 18.5-19 highway only. I only drive 75 miles a week + lake trips.

Last edited by BaadLS1; 01-04-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old     (ScottyTahoe)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-04-2016, 11:29 PM Reply   
Mark-

I bought my Tundra Crewmax new in 2013. It pulls my 21 MB Tomcat with ease, I never had any issues pulling my boat or others. The passing gear is there when needed. I did however add the TRD supercharger at about 6000 miles and that’s a lot of fun. Was it needed…….NO! The stock motor was more than up to the task! It sure can be fun though, but the 99% of the time I don’t use it.

As for mileage, I drive mine every day. I did add the leveling kit and went with 33 inch tires. Not sure what that did to my fuel economy. On the hwy at 75-80 MPG I get about 14, in town I’m getting 12.5-13. This information is coming off of the Tundra computer on the dash.

If I was looking at new trucks I would look at something that was a little more updated as far as engine and transmission options. (Tundra is still utilizing the 6 speed transmission) I know Ford and Dodge have some updated gas options but the one I’m really excited about would be the diesel Nissan.

Tundra is a great truck hands down, I’m interested to see where they go in the future. If the Nissan sells well they will have to make a change somewhere to improve their product.

Cheers
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-05-2016, 6:46 AM Reply   
A tundra is a nice truck, however In todays market I feel like there is way better out there between the Chevys and Fords.

I personally have a 2104 Silverado High Country and it is a great truck. My truck has the 6.2L, a 6in lift and 35s. I average 16-18 on the highway with no load. To don't track the MPGs while towing because it will always be bad. But the GM 6.2L is hands down the best engine currently on the market. It will not struggle pulling anything and I pull a heavy X23.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-05-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Yeah Tundra will tow great and is a good truck. If you get one get the crew max for resale purposes. Biggest negative is it is pretty plain and gets really bad MPG no matter what anyone tells you. If you can go American then you get more truck for your money.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-05-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
mine had a 6 speed trans w. 5.7L and towed like a beast.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-05-2016, 8:17 AM Reply   
I am currently on my 3rd F-150(2015 crewcab 4x4 being my current truck). I really like it, but its a company truck and I am changing jobs and will have to buy my own. Just looking at what's out there. I test drove the Tundra last week, my main complaint was the road noise compared to my F150.

Good input regarding leveling kit and 33's, that's what I plan to do no matter what truck I buy. Its gonna F-150 or Tundra.

Silverado is not even an option as the $60K High Sierra top of the line Chevy is still column shift and offers no rear AC. WTF?!?!?!
+ I do not agree politically with the bailout money they took. I like to vote with my wallet.

Of course whatever I buy will be a full 4-door truck, who buys anything else anyways?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-05-2016, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have a 2011 eco boost fx4 and tow my fs44 enzo. last year 5 guys, totally loaded tundra and the boat drove 4 hours to a guys weekend and i drove the tundra. It towed with ease. We had the truck slammed with gear, beer etc etc and it was impressive. It does not make the same lower end power of the ecoboost but held speed, did not struggle and the chassis was as stable as a 3/4 ton all day long. Great truck, no idea on mpg, but coming from a non owner with a f150 i thought this would help good luck
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       01-05-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have an 07 with the 4.7 and have had no issues pulling a loaded up sanger v210 and all the kidlets.
Old     (fastlanephx)      Join Date: Mar 2014       01-05-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
I have an '08 with a 4" lift and 35" tires, and pulls the super air 210 with ease.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-05-2016, 9:39 AM Reply   
I have a 2015 Tundra with the 5.7 and the motor is not an issue. I have towed (exact same boat) with my dads 2013 ecoboost F-150 lariat and would say the tundra does a slightly better job. Only marginally since the ford does very well but I think the Tundra is geared better and no turbo lag. I think the F-150 has a nicer ride but I would say that the Tundra is just as quiet or quieter than my dads F-150. The big nail in coffin for me is the eco boost. Good luck with twin turbos after 100,000 miles. My tundra is getting just as good fuel economy as my dads ecoboost. I've averaged 14.9mpg mix and he has been 14.3mpg. Personally I'll take a naturally aspirated V8 over a twin turbo six any day. Both trucks are great but the F-150 has to be the most overpriced vehicle on the market. Sticker for a comprable F-150 was $10k more than my Tundra and even then my Tundra has more equipment. I don't know who is buying these F-150's but damn they are overpriced.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-05-2016, 10:41 AM Reply   
I've got a '14 Platinum. It's been perfect.

Towing MPG's (who really cares since we are kind of splitting hairs between all of the v8 gas trucks) is about 10. That is either really hilly highways or city type towing most of the time. I would suppose it would be around 12-14 on flats at 55-60mph. I pretty much get exactly what the sticker said I would on MPG's which doesn't seem to be the case with many of the other trucks.

I am not sold on the notion that the 6 speed transmission is somehow outdated or bad in some way. I think it is awesome, performs excellent, and I've never heard any real problems with it and that is pretty much what I am looking for in a transmission...

"Is the power there"...LOL heck yeah. Things a towing beast.

I agree with the ride statements. Tundra's ride like trucks and IIRC it may have to do with them having one of the higher payloads. The tundra with the boat behind it (especially with the sweet mastercraft trailers) is an absolute dream ride.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-05-2016, 10:41 AM Reply   
I have a 14 TRD off road 4X4 and it tows very well. Never have any issues. The gas mileage sucks - 14 around town and 10-12 when towing. The crewmax is awesome. If you have backseat passengers they will love the comically large backseat area.

The Tundra is also the most 2nd most american truck you can buy behind F150.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2015.html
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-05-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteflashwatersports1 View Post
The Tundra is also the most 2nd most american truck you can buy behind F150.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2015.html
LOL that always makes me laugh. So the ford has 70% domestic and the Tundra has 70% domestic making it the 2nd most american truck...

They give the edge to Ford since it seems like an American company but as I understand it the Toyota Tundra is made under Toyota motor North America Corp also...Who knows...but content-wise nothing beats the Tundra for being "Domestic"...I'd give the Tundra the edge seeing as how Ford probably has more Mexico and Canada thrown in...But to be honest...I would be perfectly fine if this thing was completely made in Japan.

1. 2015 Ford F-150 (tie)

Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 70
Final Assembly Country: U.S.
Engine Source: U.S., Canada
Transmission Source: U.S.
2015 Kogod Made in America Auto Index Score: 82.5
2015 Toyota Tundra

2015 Toyota Tundra (tie)

Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 70
Final Assembly Country: U.S.
Engine Source: U.S.
Transmission Source: U.S.
2015 Kogod Made in America Auto Index Score: 76
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       01-05-2016, 1:01 PM Reply   
I towed a Supra SC home from Georgia to NY through the mountains of West Virgina with a 2014 TRD DC tundra 5.7 last year. I averaged 10.6 mpg on the way back. Regular driving on country roads (hills but not much stopping) is around 16. It towed awesome, pulling and stopping are no sweat. The tow mode on the tundra is nicer than the GM/Ford trucks as it remaps the shift pattern instead of just locking out the over drive gear. Go on Tundra Talk and investigate, a lot of good information there. I would strongly recommend. Plenty for of truck for towing a wakeboat and I will avoid an conflict and leave the reliability of a tundra/taco out of the conversation. If you do buy don’t leave out the TRD stainless exhaust
Attached Images

Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-05-2016, 9:21 PM Reply   
Great info! Thanks

The real turn on for me in regards to a tundra is the "overbuilt" factor. Frame, brakes, rear end, are 3/4 ton-like. Also the unsurpassed reliability

The turn off is the road noise compared to my current 2015 F150(that I'm returning to my company)
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-06-2016, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have Kevins twin but a 2015:

Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       01-06-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
Nice truck ^ is that a limited? I need to start deleting all the chrome on mine but making functional mods before i dump money on cosmetic uselessness
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-06-2016, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dubbs View Post
Nice truck ^ is that a limited? I need to start deleting all the chrome on mine but making functional mods before i dump money on cosmetic uselessness
I have the SR5 model. I didn't want leather. Its going to remain stock. While it tows my boat better than any other half ton I have driven, I really don't like this truck. I think my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 was a better truck. This will also be my last Toyota. The brakes on this have already warped at less than 10,000 miles. I never managed to warp the rotors of my Ram in over 100,000 miles.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       01-06-2016, 9:19 AM Reply   
That's impressive since the rotors on the tundra are way bigger diameter than the ram. I live in some pretty steep hills and mine are still like new with 20k+
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-06-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
I've flogged my tundra with the boat behind it with no trailer brakes for 2 seasons.

Kdubbs I'm with you. I drive mine like a car and have mostly all city miles and with over 20000 miles there hasn't been a single issue of any kind.

In fact the guy that talked me into this truck has the 2007 version and has talked a bunch of his friends into tundra's also. There hasn't been an issue with any one of them. He put thousands of towing miles with his tundra also and zero brake issues (or any issues for that matter)

I very nearly bought a Ram Ecodiesel when I bought this truck...Thankfully though they had just come out and were on backorder so I ended up with the tundra. Now looking around on Ram forums it seems there are MANY that are having engines freezing up and needing complete new motors. A bunch of guys are going for months without their brand new trucks. Thank GOD I didn't buy one of those. I was already skeptical about the electrical in the ram's. (which is still a problem it seems).
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
My shop truck is an 08 SR5 Crewmax. 104k with zero issues. I just did the front brakes at 98 K, the rears still show 40 percent pad. I tow every day around town, from little aluminum fishing boats to 10k offshore fish boats. Average 12.4 mpg overall, best I saw on the highway on a trip to Seattle not towing was 17. Truck has a leveling lift and 33's.

I'm currently shopping for a 14 or later version, I love this truck.

I ran 5 different diesels in the 12 years before I bought this truck, and with my towing needs remaining at the 10K or under range I'll never switch back to diesel.
Attached Images

Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-11-2016, 2:32 PM Reply   
Ram's not on it

https://www.cars.com/articles/toyota...1420682622926/

Actually the Tundra is the only truck on it.
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-11-2016, 2:59 PM Reply   
07 double cab 4.7 2 wheel drive pulling a loaded up t22. No issues here towing. Getting about 10-12 but I have a heavy foot
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-11-2016, 4:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Ram's not on it

https://www.cars.com/articles/toyota...1420682622926/

Actually the Tundra is the only truck on it.
I love lists like this, don't believe them, but I love them. They cause people to go purchase these vehicles, driving prices up on them. Other vehicle prices drop. I usually shop from the "do not buy list", excellent vehicles at excellent prices. You have to remember, the guys generating this lists are just trying to generate business for their website, magazine or whatever.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-11-2016, 4:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
I love lists like this, don't believe them, but I love them. They cause people to go purchase these vehicles, driving prices up on them. Other vehicle prices drop. I usually shop from the "do not buy list", excellent vehicles at excellent prices. You have to remember, the guys generating this lists are just trying to generate business for their website, magazine or whatever.
While lists like this make me chuckle and I pay no attention to them. I don't think your statement holds water. The tundra was the only truck on that list and was way less expensive than the american big three trucks while in many cases offering more.
Old     (AZVLX)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-13-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Tundra is the way to go! I've had my 08 5.7L four years now and it actually toes and handles better than my 5.9 cummins. Gas mileage is poor, but the longevity of the truck and power, not to mention the lack of repair needs, overcompensate for the extra $ in gas. Best truck I ever had, and I've had em all
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-13-2016, 4:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
While lists like this make me chuckle and I pay no attention to them. I don't think your statement holds water. The tundra was the only truck on that list and was way less expensive than the american big three trucks while in many cases offering more.
There are many more factors than just this list one that set vehicle prices.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       01-13-2016, 8:25 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 2wd tundra crewmax 5.7L with a leveling kit, 33" tires, and 112k on the odometer now. It honestly runs as good as the day I bought it with not one issue. I get almost 15 mpg on highway driving 75-80 mph; and 14 mpg city. It tows my Tige 22V with no problems whatsoever. Most importantly these tundras have extremely strong brakes that are effective while towing. The 5.7L with tow package comes with auxillary transmission and oil coolers, huge heavy duty ring gear, and a 4.30 rear end. I owned 4 chevy silverados prior to my tundra, and there is no comparison between the chevy 5.3L and tundra 5.7L drivetrains. I also test drove an F150 eco-boost before buying a tundra, and the tundra felt just a tad stronger (at least in my mind).
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-15-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
I have an '08 Tundra double cab with the 5.7. It's by far the best truck I've owned. I tow a 2013 Moomba Mobius all the time. I've also towed about 9.500 lbs of excavator and trailer when doing construction. The engine is a beast and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for towing any wakeboat. If I were towing the 9,500 lbs all the time I might want something a little beefier.
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-23-2016, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have a lifted 2010 Tundra SR5 and tow a 2014 Malibu LSV. Most of my towing is on flat ground and I get 9 MPG on a good day. The power is there however it struggles a bit when towing up hill. I would recommend getting a diesel. You will have more power and better MPG.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       02-03-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
I tow my Supra 22SSV with my 2014 Crewmax with a 5.7. It has no issues with hills, passing, pulling. I have the leveling kit installed and 275 65 R20 (34.1") tires, which reduced my overall MPG about 1 mpg. With the new tires I get: Highway 15-17, around town 13-15, and towing 12-14. The speedo is off by ~7% with the increased tire size over stock.
Old     (chadtaylor07)      Join Date: Sep 2015       02-04-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
I have a 2015 Tubdra 4x4 pulling a 2015 Supra SE. Pulls no problem but gas mileage sucks. Getting like 8 mpg, but that SE is also 6,000 lbs.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-04-2016, 8:55 AM Reply   
I think nearly anyone would agree that the main downside to the Toyota 5.7 is gas mileage. It's high in torque (for a gasser), powerful, smooth, and reliable - among the very best combinations of all those of any engine on the market. Unfortunately you pay for it - once in the form of higher purchase price, and then again every week at the pump. From a performance standpoint, however, you should have no worries that the 5.7 will tow extremely well.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-04-2016, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I think nearly anyone would agree that the main downside to the Toyota 5.7 is gas mileage. It's high in torque (for a gasser), powerful, smooth, and reliable - among the very best combinations of all those of any engine on the market. Unfortunately you pay for it - once in the form of higher purchase price, and then again every week at the pump. From a performance standpoint, however, you should have no worries that the 5.7 will tow extremely well.
I'll play devils advocate to this. I just purchased my 2105 Tundra last year and while you mentioned a higher initial purchase price, I would say the Tundra was significantly less expensive than any of the big 3. You also referred to the Tundra a smooth. I'll agree with great torque and powerful but smooth isn't the word that comes to mind about my Tundra. When towing, the truck really comes together but empty and being used as a daily driver this truck has a long way to go to be smooth. Its an extremely un-refined and crude vehicle. The transmission shifting is extremely poor with rough downshifting, the suspension is unpredictable combined with extremely sloppy steering and the brake modulation is pretty bas as well. I know I wont buy another one.