Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-14-2015, 3:42 PM Reply   
Truck shopping has begun, in next year or so going to be moving up to a diesel tow rig. Don't need this to turn into a manufacturer debate, but since it might have relevance to main topic I will list what I am interested in. GM Lmm duramax (07.5-10) maybe LmL if I find a good deal. Ford 11+ RAM 10+. I will be towing maybe 15-20 minutes in Orlando. This truck will be a daily driver, 30-40 miles per day maybe? For maybe a year or two until I get a high mpg vehicle. Tow will be Centurion 21'6 until upgrade to larger boat 22-24ft. Will be doing longer trips to meets once or twice a year or so. May look into a truck camper but would start it with a cheaper one so nothing huge.

Assuming SRW will avg what 2 mpg better? However dually 3500s actually seem around same price or a little cheaper than SRW 2500s. I'm guessing more niche market.

Any truck will have full exhaust and tune if that matters to close mpg gap.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2015, 6:15 AM Reply   
No need for a DRW to pull a wakeboat. Any diesel will yank a wakeboat like nothing is there anyway. I had an built LMM duramax pulled my 24V really well. The previous owner beat the crap out of it so I spent a year trying to fix every thing until I gave up a sold it for more than I originally payied for it. Now I pull it with a denali with a 6.2 gas engine and it does really good but I'm bored with this truck. So I'll probably go back to a LML or powerstroke 6.7.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-15-2015, 8:18 AM Reply   
If I had to do it again I would do a DRW. We haul a camper and tow our boat with a SRW 3500. Campers are heavy!!! I had to spend a bunch of $$$ to make it right. I had to add a Hellwig big wig sway bar kit, Air bags, custom leaf springs and Bilstein shocks so it would haul right with the 20 inch rims and front end level kit. You will also need to add frame mounted tie downs a super hitch and super truss hitch extension. Once you get is set up right its great but would have been better with a DRW.
Attached Images

Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hey H, I still love your rig. This is Stretch by the way, figured I might get some more traffic over here. I think you posting that mammoth camper really made me think even more about a dually. You're set up is gonna cost me $ haha. Although I think I would go on the super cheap less than 10k dollar palomino kind of thing just to make sure I like truck camping. Dually a look sweet but they also don't have the options of bigger tires/long travel set ups and I might be in the sand a decent bit on the coast for work. So just not sure if SRW would be a lot better for that. Granted I don't need to go 55+ on sand haha
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
It's not really that drw would be required for the boat, but if it is the better option since I guess I could get more truck for the same money really. I'm just not sure about the mpg loss. That does matter to me, at least until it's not my DD anymore. I think I'm favoring SRW right now for traffic ease and mpg, but there is just something so cool about duallys
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-15-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
That sucks I have a dodge 2500 with a 17800# capacity and wanted to get a cab over thinking that it had plenty of capability.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
Could always go pop up
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-15-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Cab over pop up?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-15-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
Red you can still do a camper just add airbags the sway bar kit and a set of supersprings which will take your payload up to 5000 LBS. Not all campers are as heavy as ours. Ours is a short bed camper with every option and a full wall slide. It hits the scales at about 4400 LBS with gear and water. When we do trips with the boat the camper comes off as soon as we get there so I get my truck back. Only time it stays on the truck is winter camping without the boat.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2015, 10:24 AM Reply   
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-2015-SS-12...-/181768588073

Yea I was talking about soft side /pop ups like this that weight a ton less (haha)
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
Probably leaning drw right now and just trying to get another DD sooner than later to have a future proof tow vehicle and save mpg with a much lighter car

Looking at something like this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231576418947?nav=SEARCH
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-15-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
just get a hard side camper without the slide if you want to cut down on weight. Make sure any camper you get has power jacks or you will not be happy. Take a look at wolf creek they are made by artic fox . They are a four seasons camper without the slide and price tag. You will need to give your truck some help out back no matter what camper you get . its not about hauling its about keeping enough weight on the front wheels to do it safe
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-15-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
4400# and still need upgrades? Figured the trucks could handle that no prob. With no upgrades what was the problems?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-15-2015, 11:21 AM Reply   
the problem is when you put 2 1/2 tons in the bed of your 1 ton truck with just factory leaf springs it squats the rear of the truck to far and takes to much weight off the front wheels. Does not matter what truck you have or what camper you get you at the least will need to add air bags. We roll down the road at 70 mph at 1700 RPM. The trucks have plenty of power to do the job but like I said any of them will need some help out back
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-15-2015, 9:20 PM Reply   
Had an AF camper, same model as pictured above, never weighed it but I calced a little over 4klb based on the pressure in the airbags needed to restore the same ride ht as empty.
If you're going to get a camper like this and plan on more than just short trips I'd go for a dually.
Had mine on a srw 2500 and everything held up fine to thousands of miles in AK, read, worst roads everrr, but a Dooley would have been much better.
Plus if I was doing serious towing with a camper, I'd want a long bed truck and a short bed capable camper like that Arctic Fox. Then you wouldn't need the expensive truss hitch.
If you find a srw though, don't be too worried about the camper. With the right suspension and tires it will work fine.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-15-2015, 9:22 PM Reply   
Camper on short bed srw.
Attached Images

Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2015, 10:09 PM Reply   
Great info guys. Sounds like a lot will depend on the deal that comes up but this has eased some worries that drw would be too much I guess, and that it would be useless over SRW.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-15-2015, 11:10 PM Reply   
If your planning on getting a truck camper, a DRW is the way to go. I'd recommend getting a longbox and finding a camper that fits without the need for hitch extensions or that stuff. Only downside is a longbox crewcab makes for a BIG truck. Parking can be a bit of an issue at times. Doesnt bother me much, but my wife gets annoyed sometimes.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       06-17-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
Not start the brand bashing, but if you're going to do any serious towing, go ahead and get the Cummins. I've driven the Duramax, multiple Powerstrokes (7.3, 6.4, and 6.7), and multiple generations of Cummins. If you're just looking for a big badass truck for driving around town looking cool, then yeah, the Cummins is gonna suck and make you hate it. It's not built to be smooth, it's loud and rides like crap (especially the older ones). But as soon as you put something on the ass end, it'll sit down and ride/pull like a dream. If you've got the budget, go ahead and get a dually too. It'll take some getting used to with the additional width, but it's not too bad. I'm running a 2012 Ram 3500 MegaCab Cummins 4x4 DRW and it (obviously) pull my boat with ease. I've taken it on road trips and forgotten it was back there at 75 mph. Yes, the fuel mileage will suck. But you don't buy one of these truck with the intention of trying to save the environment either.

So if you have any intention of towing bigger toys in the future, like a full camper trailer or adding a drop-in camper AND boat like H has, get a dually Cummins and do it right the first time. Better to have too much truck than not enough, which is what sealed the deal for me too.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       06-17-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post
If your planning on getting a truck camper, a DRW is the way to go. I'd recommend getting a longbox and finding a camper that fits without the need for hitch extensions or that stuff. Only downside is a longbox crewcab makes for a BIG truck. Parking can be a bit of an issue at times. Doesnt bother me much, but my wife gets annoyed sometimes.
The trick is mastering reversing into a space. Ironically I find this A LOT easier to park, and even easier to get out of the spot. This way you don't have to worry about anyone sneaking into the massive blind spots while backing out either.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2015, 10:30 AM Reply   
We have an '06 Ford crewcab 4x4 SRW that is usually hooked up to a 3 horse trailer & with 9.5' camper on it. We have put 10 of thousands of miles on it with this setup. No airbags just overload springs. Drives excellent. I drove it from Wa to Socal last year with no issues going 65+. Grapevine was no problem either. I really would have preferred a dually but wife & 16 year old daughter drive it also and wanted SRW. Wife prefers the Fords handling & interior over the Chevy & Dodge. The 6.0 isn't an issue if you know what to keep an eye on......................
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-25-2015, 1:08 AM Reply   
Unless it's bullet proofed, the only 2 things to keep your eye on with a 6.0 are your coolant temp guage and your check book balance. One will go up real quick and the on ther will go down quicker.
I know there are a few out there without issues. Seen a couple myself, but I've seen low mile carnage on more.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       06-26-2015, 12:52 AM Reply   
I have a 6.0 with 275k on it and it runs like a champ! Runs identical Temps to my 2015 cummins with 5k miles on it. And it pulls like a freight train. Beats the snot out of the cummins power wise. (However the cummins is stock, and my 6.0 has a bigger turbo and a tune)
But my 6.0 is lifted 12" on 37s compared to the cummins leveled on 33s
This is my 3rd 6.0 and I can't get enough of them. Of course you have to understand them to own one and be successful with it though.