Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
I took a different route to the DIY Surf Gate swim platform device and have built a wedge that attaches to the side of the boat with Velcro. The dimensions of the device are 20" long, 12" wide and 9" high. I used a HDPE case with foam core, however after building the device found a skate board ramp that would work just as well. I found that 12" of width is a bit narrow as the water is going above the device. The other advantages to the wedge is that it is very easy and quick to put on and remove and does not put any potentially damaging forces to the swim platform. My boat is a 2005 Sanger V230. As you can see from the pics, the results are awesome, much bigger and way cleaner.
Attached Images

Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-19-2015, 9:01 PM Reply   
Where's the video?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2015, 9:09 PM Reply   
Sorry Video would not upload, wrong file format? I will try to You Tube it and post link.
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2015, 9:25 PM Reply   
Here is the link to the "without wedge" vid: https://youtu.be/YXKx6t3Y4Qk
and the "with wedge" vid: https://youtu.be/pFiv570RI-o
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2015, 9:42 PM Reply   
So the velcro holds it in place? Wow, I thought he water pressure would just rip it straight off. I wouldn't of even considered trying it.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2015, 11:28 PM Reply   
So what stops it from sliding back, just the Velcro?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-20-2015, 5:01 AM Reply   
That's actually a really good idea. Would make it easy to make a collapsable version this way in lieu of the gate I built
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2015, 6:28 AM Reply   
Can you post more pics and a step by step of how you attached it to your boat
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-20-2015, 6:45 AM Reply   
That looks really good. Very cool idea going with velcro on the side of the boat as well. I would have never thought to try that. What's your weight setup like?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
That's actually a really good idea. Would make it easy to make a collapsable version this way in lieu of the gate I built
Yes, conceivably you could just use your existing gate mounted to the side of the boat. I wanted something that floated in case it fell off!, but after doing the test, I am confident that there will be no fear of that happening. The only thing that is an unknown right now is if the velcro will weaken over time, but if it does it can be easily,and inexpensively replaced.
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 1:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
That looks really good. Very cool idea going with velcro on the side of the boat as well. I would have never thought to try that. What's your weight setup like?
I did not spend a bunch of time on weighting as the goal of the test was to just get a before and after analysis of the effectiveness of the wedge concept, size etc. However, the Boat was weighted with 900 lbs in surf side and 500 lbs in middle ski locker and my wife and I in the boat, so another 350 lbs, well actually make that 325, my wife lost weight over the winter!
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
Can you post more pics and a step by step of how you attached it to your boat
All you do is apply 2 strips to the wedge ( I used the fuzzy side as it is not as rough to touch), then put one of the matching pieces on the very bottom of the hull and to the back,and the other piece at the same distance to the top piece on the wedge, the best way to do it is to attach this piece to the fuzzy side on the wedge, then removed the protective film and place the wedge on the boat with the lower velcro lined up, which in turn puts the rough side permanently in the right place on the boat.
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
So what stops it from sliding back, just the Velcro?
Yes, just the velcro!, Velcro is very strong in holding lateral forces that are applied when you are moving forward.
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
So the velcro holds it in place? Wow, I thought he water pressure would just rip it straight off. I wouldn't of even considered trying it.
Yeah, the water pressure actually pushes it up against the boat, I tested it above surf speeds to about 20 mph and it stays on solid!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2015, 3:09 PM Reply   
the wake still doesn't have a defined lip...Are you listing the boat at all?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2015, 3:11 PM Reply   
My buddys 230 sanger has a monster wake with out any gate, but it lists pretty hard.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
Sorry , I now see your weight configuration, I would move the 500 on to the port side seat, or under if it fits
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2015, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Sorry , I now see your weight configuration, I would move the 500 on to the port side seat, or under if it fits
The 500 is the factory ski locker, I normally put another 500 under the seat and have a few more people and list it to the rub rail, and then it makes a bigger wake. I plan to experiment with some weight on the non surf side as well, it will take some playing again with the wedge to get it right.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2015, 5:50 PM Reply   
I saw this idea a while back. http://www.wakesurfshaper.com

How bad is the adhesive to get off of gel coat?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2015, 8:21 PM Reply   
Apply Heat and most comes off with the velcro, any left and WD40 or Goof Off or Hull cleaner etc. will make short work of it. Hopefully that is never required! Even when it comes time to sell it, I would probably sell it with the Wedge, so velcro would stay on?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-21-2015, 9:57 PM Reply   
Nathan at Wakesurfshaper.com does deserve the credit for the idea. I believe he has sold the rights to Ronix now, but they have nothing on their website yet for sale?