Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-17-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
Hey guys and gals of the south!

Driving from Vancouver Canada to California to get into the wake scene down there, been hearing the Delta scene is where its at! Sounds great by the looks of it. 

Been riding and competing in BC for a couple years at different times and found the scene to be quite small. Not many gals that compete up here and the waters bit on the nippy side as you can imagine. We’ve been trying to make the drysuit thing fashionable but it is just damn impossible

Planning on competing in your Int League and Malibu Riders Ex contest. Maybe even TX WWA Nationals If I can progress well enough. Since I haven't been down before wanted to get locals opinion on NorCal vs SoCal Scene and Comps? 

Want to stay for the whole summer season if possible. Might look for a PT job if I stay in one area for an extended time as we know wakeboarding is no cheap sport.

Ready to head down south to meet up with cool peeps and have some fun rides to together!

Any recommendations and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks all

Lady
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-21-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
I live between the two areas and have spent plenty of time at each. For strictly riding purposes the Delta area is far superior. There are a lot of good waterways aside from Delta as well. SoCal is crowded and the only legit places are either private or Canyon Lake, fighting the crowds on the few lakes is a nightmare. NorCal people are also pretty nice. Best of luck, sounds like fun.
Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-21-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking into the Delta. Want to check out San Francisco while im out that way. I hear the culture is great and abundant!
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-22-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
If you head down to SF area. We are just south about 20 min. We are in Millbrae. Our boat is stored at Orwood Resort Marina in the Delta. We have a great crew mostly female. If you need a pull we can definitely take you out and show you around. I have a 2014 MB 23wb and my buddy has a Axis A20.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
^^^ Don I live down the street from Capp.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
The first INT stop June 14-16 is also SpringRide. Bring your camping gear and prepare for a great time.

Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-22-2014, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
^^^ Don I live down the street from Capp.
I live off Millbrae ave above Mills High
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2014, 7:34 PM Reply   
^^ nice! I see you often at storage. I'll stop by & say hello next time.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-23-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
Miguel please do.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
Stephan pretty much nailed it. There isn't a very big wakeboard scene in so cal due to only having 1 or 2 places to ride so plan on spending most of your trip in NorCal. The best cities to hitch a ride in NorCal would be discovery bay, Stockton, or the sacramento area to hit the sac river or Folsom lake. Unfortunately the www.girlsridethewake.com event is full or I'd tell you to sign up!
Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-03-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses guys. It really helps. Figured id stick to the NorCal areas. Don I'll hit up you and your crew for sure. Really appreciate it. Should be in the area in about 2 weeks from now.

J-Rod the Int comps are on my list as im getting back into comps again. Camping is always a must

Ryan thanks for the info. if you know people you'd recommend to ride/chill with. Im up for a good time.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
I teach barefooting on the delta if you're interested let me know.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2014, 3:56 AM Reply   
You should definitely head to Texas for sure! Theres like 8 cable parks and the wake scene on Lake Austin is pretty sick! Austin is definitely a little overpopulated with wakesurfers though... Texas is definitely my favorite state in the US for wakeboarding.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-04-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys. It really helps. Figured id stick to the NorCal areas. Don I'll hit up you and your crew for sure. Really appreciate it. Should be in the area in about 2 weeks from now.

J-Rod the Int comps are on my list as im getting back into comps again. Camping is always a must

Ryan thanks for the info. if you know people you'd recommend to ride/chill with. Im up for a good time.

Sound good keep me posted. I am having a custom bimini made right now. I will be picking up boat this coming Saturday. We will be ready for you. I have a scheduled event I am going to on May 16-18. I am meeting a bunch of MB owners at Berryessa Lake for the weekend. We are trying to make this an annual event. So I wont be available that weekend.
Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-05-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
Sweet stuff Don, Leaving mid week. Staying with family in portland for 3-4 days then driving straight down to NorCal.

JB. Thanks for the info. If I am able to qualify in the WWA Wakeboard Regional Championships in CA. I plan to Head to Texas for Nationals. Then maybe we could rip together.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-06-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
We only ride weekends how long are you going to be down here.
Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-06-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
Thats cool, im doing a little asking around right now. Not sure how long yet. Hoping at least 6-8 weeks more if i can find a job.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-11-2014, 8:26 AM Reply   
Delta is where it's at. Come on out to Spring Ride and the first INT stop and let us introduce you to some local female riders. There are some rippers, and I think you'll find the water temps a bit more comfortable
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-13-2014, 9:33 PM Reply   
Message me when you get to NorCal also. I live in the Stockton area and ride a lot of weekdays
Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-29-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
Hey guys. Apologies on the long delay had a big issue with my mazda3. Had to import and sell it and look/buy a new car over the past 2 weeks here in Portland. Everything worked out well. It is not a fun process though. So that took some time.

Heading down the Oregon coast to surf this Saturday. Planning to be somewhere in NorCal Sunday/Monday. Anyone riding this weekend/ coming week?

Turns out I'll be aiming to compete in Canadian Nationals (Ontario) in August. So ill be staying till then!
PM'ed you guys
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-29-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
If you want to save a little money you can stay in Oakland instead. There's a nice culture there also, lots of interesting people to see walking down international blvd. if you are lucky enough you might even meet Bridget the midget she's a little person who also happens to be a prostitute......jk in all honesty I live in oakley which is right near the delta, but there's not a whole lot for a young person to do out here as far as nightlife and entertainment. Concord and walnut creek are also nice areas and they are closer to nightlife as well as not being far from the delta. And if ur in to going to SF Bart is right there.
Old     (LadyJ)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-01-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
Cool thanks Nick. Im guessing Parking in SF in next to impossible or very expensive? In Santa Rosa today for a couple days - a week. Meeting a rider out here. Ill send you a PM.

Im using Couch Surfing to find places to stay and I have my subby Outback to sleep in. So Im pretty mobile as far as where I stay goes. But yeah its nice to know the go to places in the bay area - sac. Heard Little Italy is a place to check out.

Last edited by LadyJ; 06-01-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-03-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
Lady j I messaged you on fb for this weekend.