Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-10-2011, 8:19 PM Reply   
We received our Wetsounds Rev 8 and Rev 10 samples today. I'm not a blind advocate and I am always a little skeptical especially with all the hype I typically read that I know is not always completely factual or at least highly subjective. Several years ago when people were saying that the same speaker that projected 100 feet sounded like high fidelity up close...I definitely wasn't hearing what they were hearing.
We immediately hooked up the Rev 8s so we could do quick AB comparisons between the Rev 8s and the Pro60s and Pro80s.
Of course the Rev 8 had tons of amplitude capability. Its a Wetsounds so that was no surprise. I was looking to test something else though.
I went right for Dave Matthews Band and the first cut off 'Crash' which is 'So much to say'. Why? Because this album, while a very clean recording, is mixed a bit hot. By "hot" I mean its a little bright. And, if there are any peaks to be exposed in a speakers response or any ill effects of a horn/HLCD, then this is going to do it. Was the Rev 8 smoother and warmer? Absolutely!!! It really didn't have the characteristic HLCD sound. There is no need for a hybrid or mix set-up with this HLCD. You can listen to this speaker near field and loud without your ears bleeding. If it sounds raw then I can assure you that its dangerously loud, the amplifier is clipping or its a dirty download. Its not the speaker and its out of the manufacturers control.
Next, we went with a few reference recordings that have double the normal dynamic range. I'm not going to say how much power we were running but it was way over the top. The attack on some of the percussion was intense enough that it would raise eyebrows but there was no sign of strain or distortion.
During a portion of the audition a single pair of Rev 8s were accompanied by a 10-inch bandpass subwoofer. The Rev 8s had enough midbass that they blended very well with a dominant sub...well enough that the bass sounded like it was coming from the Rev 8s even though the really deep bass was coming purely from the sub. Keep in mind that this is from a pod that is really no larger than a Pro60.
We spent so much time marveling over the Rev 8 we didn't get around to the Rev 10 yet, hopefully tomorrow if time permits. More to come.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-11-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
Nice write up Dave!

Edit: I really want to hear an in depth opinion on the Rev 10s. Seems like all the write ups so far have focused on the 8s.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
ditto on the Rev 10's. really interested to hear feedback on the SQ. considering a swap with my Pro 80's.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-11-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
Good stuff....now when do I get My fricking speakers????
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-11-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
I was waiting to hear your thoughts. I cant wait to hear them for myself. Sounds like Wetsounds out did themselves.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-11-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
What kind of power were you giving these? You say "way over the top"... so how will they sound with a more modest, say 300w rms per side?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-12-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
Dave how do they stack up next to the 485's??
Old     (WetSounds2)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
David,
Thank you for the great write-up on the REV 8's.
The HLCD stereo-typical concept has been redefined with the new REV Series. Countless hours were spent on redesigning everything from the ground up. New horn, driver, crossover, housing, and let's not forget the completely new clamps. As you can vouch for yourself Tim has "listened" to what our customers and dealers were requesting out of Tower Speakers. The new REV Series has a much smoother response and greater listening ability at all db levels.

For all those fans waiting on the REV Series, the REV 8's should be shipping a the end of next week, (US Customs prevented release this week). The Rev 10's middle of June, Tim is finalizing them now at our factory.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       05-12-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
I'm definately wanting to hear so feedback on the rev 10's too! How does the sound compare to a the traditional tower speakers when in the boat? Is the SQ as good as non HLCD's when listening in close proximity? Frankly I've heard the pro 80's and thought they were way too pitchy and ear bleeding for my taste coming from a car audio background. I got my fingers crossed hoping the new rev's will be an awesome in cabin speaker that plays loud as SH** and a good distance speaker too!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-12-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
We're going to be auditioning the Wetsounds Rev 10 tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to spend alot of time with them with alot of different music. I'll post up my impressions over the weekend.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
sweet, I am really considering upgrading to rev 10's
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
Any pictures of the rev 8's & 10's?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
Sorry, I've got some disappointing news for now. Wetsounds just called this morning and ask me not to do the review on the Rev 10s that I presently have. They are making a production change and they want me to wait until this final revision. I completely understand. Its like an artist who doesn't want anyone to see his painting in progress until its finally done. And, I respect that they want them to be absolutely perfect. After being so impressed with the smoother Rev 8s I was totally stoked about today's planned session. I will do this review as soon as we get the 'perfected' product. Soon I hope.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       05-13-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
DAMN!!! Well tell me this...is the rev 8 a speaker that compares to other non HLCD speakers in cabin for listening ability? We already know that these speakers project a long ways, but what I really want to know is how it sounds when your right in front of it compared to other traditional tower speakers without horns? If we did a blind test for a comparison close up (lets say 3-5') comparing other top tower speakers (non horns) what would you chose? I understand those others don't project like these do but I'm just talking close proximity comparison at the moment. Thanks!
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-13-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
I was planning on redoing the tower by end of season.. Now I am not sure what to go with..

I would also like to throw in my request on a comparison to the 485s?

I have the stock 4 Mastercraft JLs on there now with added power.

Is the new perfect combination 2 rev8s and 2 rev 10s or does the 485s still fit into the picture.. ie.. a 485 and 2 rev 10s?

Last edited by CobraRob; 05-13-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old     (wakenymph)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-13-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hey Shawn, im trying to PM you and it wont let me. How do i get a hold of you?!?!?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
Ryan,
Well, I think that question was answered in the OP. The Rev 8 doesn't sound like a typical Wetsounds HLCD from the past. This is a stand alone small single with the same type of linearity that you get with the Pro485s but maybe with a bit warmer texture. Based on the Rev 8, the Wetsounds Revolution series really is the evolution in their tower speakers. To put it in perspective lets make a comparison. You could take any four conventional and good sounding coaxials and put them on the tower. If you drive the four of them to compete with a single pair of Rev 8s in output, it isn't the Rev 8 that you have to worry about sounding harsh.
My reference for listening is a pair of Dali Euphonia MS5s driven by a monster McIntosh and a West German made Thorens plus a Marantz SACD. Not the very best but a pretty decent playback system. So my standards are pretty high and I am hyper critical by nature. If I can enjoy Alison Krauss, Diana Krall and Amanda McBroom, all female vocalists that will expose the worst in good speakers, then the Rev 8s must be great. As mentioned in the OP, if these speakers sound shrill its either dirty downloads, crappy recordings or amplifier clipping. Wetsounds has done their part.
Shawn from Wetsounds was there in our showroom when we were running 1500 watts (750 x two) on some extremely dynamic test discs. We didn't use all the continuous power to the pair of Rev 8s but we certainly ran some major peak power. The attack was absolutely startling but it was still clean. A tower full of coaxils can't come close to that by any measure.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-13-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
so will the corrections to the rev 10's push there delivery date back?
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       05-13-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
David, Thanks for clearing that up a bit. In the end it's all up to your own ears and what you like! I can't wait to hear them tho.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2011, 6:49 PM Reply   
All this hype and I am still stuck with the MB quartz. ...........PLEASE send my speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or atleast quit posting how great they are!! Your killing me. LOL just cant to hear these things.
Old     (WetSounds2)      Join Date: May 2010       05-17-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
David,
Great comment regarding Tim being an artist, he is actually at our factory right now tweaking and finishing up the production of the REV 10's.

Tim is tweaking things out to get a better overall response and smoother and fuller sound. Most manufacturers would have just ran with it and made a production modification on the 2nd or 3rd production run, however we really want the best possible product on the market that no-one will be able to compare to. The REV 10's will knock the competition in the dirt!

So for all those who previously listened to the REV 10 in Nor Cal, just wait the new ones will be even better!
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       05-17-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
When can we expect them to be shipped out now?
Old     (WetSounds2)      Join Date: May 2010       05-17-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
The Rev 10's new ETA is June 20, 2011.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-18-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
David

I've been try to look it up on your website and the wetsounds one but whats going to be the price of the new REV 8's. I'm selling some things so I can finially get some real tower speakers and get away from my stock supra set up.

You can PM me if you can let out on wakeworld.

Or If anybody is dumping there Pro 80's I would love to here from you.

Last edited by jonblarc7; 05-18-2011 at 8:02 AM.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
I am considering selling my pro 80's to upgrade to rev 10s

pm me
Old     (j2dna)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-18-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
I'm currently running 4 Pro 80's (just added 2 about a week before the Rev 8's/10's were announced...Grrrrrr), and am considering selling my Pro 80's as well.

David,
I know you haven't tested the Rev 10's, but what are your thoughts on running 2 Pro 80's and 2 Rev 8's/10's? I like the thought of adding some mid-bass to the tower. Just curious your thoughts on this as opposed to selling all 4 and replacing with 4 Rev 10's

Thanks in advance...
-JJ
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-18-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
David

I've been try to look it up on your website and the wetsounds one but whats going to be the price of the new REV 8's. I'm selling some things so I can finially get some real tower speakers and get away from my stock supra set up.

You can PM me if you can let out on wakeworld.

Or If anybody is dumping there Pro 80's I would love to here from you.
Pricing can be found in this thread.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787049

Here are the prices

REV 8 (x mount or fixed pipe clamp mount) $999 pair
REV 8 (TC3 swivel, quick disconnect clamp) $1099 pair
REV 10 (x mount or fixed pipe clamp mount) $1149 pair
REV 10 (TC3 swivel, quick disconnect clamp) $1249 pair.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
Blair,
It shouldn't be a problem because the Rev8 and Rev10 pricing has been up on our site for a while. Just no images and details for the moment.
Jj,
I've never been an advocate of mixing dissimilar speakers with different average output levels. Why? Its simply not cost efficient when you look at the total output for investment and the present movement has been all about output for quite some time. A Rev10 has a larger driver and pod displacement versus a Rev8. So it doesn't take an acoustic engineer to figure that the Rev10 will play a little louder. If the identical power is applied to both then the larger speaker will dominate and the contribution of the subordinate speaker and supporting amplification will add less than the expected and normal plus 3 dB. If I'm gaining down the dominant speaker to run equal to the subordinate speaker then I've wasted at least some of the benefit of the larger speaker. So I would suggest that you either invest $100 less or $100 more to have symmetrical tower speakers versus a mix.
There is always going to be an exception to the rule for a variety of reasons. It may be clearance or fit so I would never say, 'don't do it regardless'. But in the case of the new Revs the response is so linear that I can't imagine why you would do a mix to moderate some type of abnormality. A 'hybrid' is really more of a contradiction with the Rev speakers because there isn't anything to correct. The Rev8 sounds good in close proximity and has the power to project.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
David, would you say the rev 8 has the output of the pro 80?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
Brendan,
In average output the answer is 'absolutely'. But in peak output the answer would be 'no'. Remember that one of the goals was to create a smoother speaker for better near field listening. And they executed! But the 'shrill' is gone so some of that peak is gone. Now we are left with a more linear or more averaged output which may have actually increased a bit in the new Rev8. We had them side by side with quick AB switching. One is peaky and one is smooth. I'll take the smooth. The peak might carry farther but I see no real value in that. Based on my exposure to the Rev8, I would expect that the final Rev10 is smoother and louder on all accounts without the peaks.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
Great! That's what I wondered. I hate the "shrill" Peakiness of my pro80's I would sacrifice distance for better sound quality.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-30-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
Got my Rev 8's up this weekend and it took about 3 minutes( while I was trying to tune them)for the lady down the street to come out and tell me she was calling the cops. I moved up from a small mb quartz..so yeah I am in heaven.
My question for Dave or Tim (anybody from WS) what do you suggest for a X-over point./setting.Clarion APX 480m. Running it bridged half amp to L half to R. That sound right? Thanx. Over all I am very happy with the Rev8 I just want to check with the experts to make sure I getting all I can from the amp I have..until I can upgrade my amp. They are the last thing in my boat not WS so I will be changing that ASAP.

Last edited by kko13; 05-30-2011 at 8:08 PM.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-01-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for taking the time to review the REV 8 David. I am glad you enjoyed them and can't wait until you hear the REV 10's!

Rev 8 are shipping now so people are starting to get them installed! KKO, send me pics!

REV 10 will be shipping on the 22nd. So right around the corner

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Got my 3 pair installed before last weekend thanks to Justin getting the clamps out quick. Huge difference from the 3-some.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-01-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to review the REV 8 David. I am glad you enjoyed them and can't wait until you hear the REV 10's!

Rev 8 are shipping now so people are starting to get them installed! KKO, send me pics!

REV 10 will be shipping on the 22nd. So right around the corner

Tim
Wet Sounds
Will do Tim...but you didnt answer my ?? silly head..What Xover setting should I be looking at?Amp is a clarion apx480m bridged. Setting Hp @ 80hz gain 3/4. Looking to get the most mid bass as possible. Didnt get much time to play with the tuning. really didnt want the neighbor lady calling the cops on me.
I really love the speakers. They look soooo good and sound Great!!!! They were so easy to install and the clamps hold well.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-02-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
kev,

sorry. High Pass at 80 HZ is a great start point. You can take it to 100 HZ and gain some volume but less mid bass. So depends on what you after. Sounds like you need to find a back road somewhere! And play some different tracks and start at 80 and move around. I would not go any lower than 80.

Send me pics!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   

Few pics of the my new Rev 8's got them out this weekend for a full throttle run with no bitchy neighbor lady! Me likey very much!!!!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-08-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
What is the Wetsounds recommendation for amps to run on a pair of REV 10s? With a 300W RMS rating, its doesnt seem like any of the current amp offerings from WS fit the bill just right. Maybe the SYN4 bridged for 400W per side?
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
syn2
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-08-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
Syn 4 Bridged.

How does a Syn2 work? It would only put out 180 to each speaker????
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
180 would make them play.... obviously a syn 4 is better.. adam was wondering why there wasnt an amp from wet sounds rated to play below the supposed 300w rms "rating"
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-08-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
We installed our Rev 8s and have a Syn4 running them. We have a threesome with a 485 flanked by the Rev 8s. Sounds pretty incredible. I will post up a new thread with the stereo upgrades we did later today.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-08-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
The SYN-4 is the optimum amp in bridged mode for 400x2 for a pair of REV 10's. I always try to reach RMS or over RMS ratings to gain headroom. We designed the REV 8 and REV 10 using the power of a SYN-4 bridged. So trust me, they can both handle the power.

The REV 8 work great with a SYN-2 as that amp will do 200x2 so 200 to each when running one pair or 350x2 so netting around 175 to each speaker when running two pair. But the 200 is a bit light to really rock out the REV 10's. It will work fine but with Dual SYN-4's on Dual REV 10's, it is a whole other level in terms of volume and performance.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-08-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
So is there any plans for the 485's to be revamped?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-08-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
My lips are sealed!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-08-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Come on tim you can tell us. We here at WW promise to keep a secret. lol
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
it seems all but obvious their flagship speaker would receive a make over after the rev-8 and rev-10's are out in the market.
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-13-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
I just finished up giving one pair of my Rev 8's a listen and I am floored! Thank you Tim and all the guys for such a killer product. I am so glad that I switched from my pair of 485's. I also tested these with out an EQ and even w/out an EQ they stomped on my 485's(SQ wise) that I spent a ton of time tweaking both with the EQ and amp settings.

I don't have near the equipment pushing them that David did, but here's my take on them. I popped in my Stevie Ray Vaughn and Dave Matthews cd's. First up I was pushing them with nothing more than a JL XD 4004 and I was astounded at how efficient these things are. These puppies sound NOTHING like a HLCD, I kept waiting for the shrill to show itself, and it never did. The new crossovers make such a huge difference. Its like having the volume and sharpness of a metal dome tweeter and the softness of a silk tweeter. I was very impressed with the warmth of voices and how sharp and crisp the snares and saxaphones sounded. Stevie Ray's "Tin Pan Alley" is one of my favorite songs to audition equipment and tune new system's for customers. They did an excellent job of bringing life to all the different guitar riffs and snare rolls that most "good" component sets can't. And as David mentioned, the attack was very astonishing! Each rip of his voice or guitar riff was like listening to it for the first time, they didn't leave me wanting, even with the lack of power. So many of the details came through so easily, and well defined that I played that track probably 5 times. I can not wait to get all the HD750/1's and 2 other pair of Rev8's hooked up and really give them a work out.

Last edited by muckinaround; 06-13-2011 at 9:35 PM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-14-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-14-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
Looks killer JB and probably sounds even better than it looks.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
John,
That is a great plan and a great installation. However, I do see a spot that you may have missed where additional equipment would fit.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
I think David's right, I do see a small spot where you might be able to fit another amp and subwoofer. But you wouldn't wanna over due it! LOL Looks awesome!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
I think it was much funnier when I made the joke...once.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-14-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Easy David Johnny never jumped down Ed McMahons throat
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-14-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
contrary to what david said, it looks to me like you could fit more equipment in there. What are you doing for woofers?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
As Ray Liotta said to Joe Pesci in Goodfellas "...you're a funny guy."
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
Hey john I think you've reached the point of "diminishing returns".....

I jest.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-14-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
Damn it's like a hardcore comedy club, you agree with someones material and all of a sudden they think your scamming their material! Lol
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
I'm well overdue on doing the Wetsounds Rev10 review as promised. I've had the final production version in our showroom for a while and we've been breaking them in as Tim requested before we make a final judgement.
The Rev10 is basically the same size as a Pro80 but with 10-inch Proaxials versus 8-inch. Knowing how stupid loud pro80s can get when properly powered here's wondering why anyone would want something louder. Its too late. The Rev10 is absolutely an S.P.L. beast and that comes as no surprise from a speaker with larger surface area and from a speaker that is produced by Wetsounds. I will say its amazing how much louder you can listen to the Rev10s without fatique.
I was so impressed with the balance and linearity of the Rev8s that I didn't know how that could be improved. It is in the sense of more midbass extension and more output in the Rev10.
I wasn't sure how to best describe the sound quality benefits of the new Rev series until I read the above post by JARROD. He mentioned listening to the Rev8s on Stevie Ray Vaughan. That is the perfect example.
Stevie Ray Vaughan has a distinctive guitar sound. Although he played several vintage StratorCasters, they didn't sound like any other Strat. And no one else could pick up his Strat and make it sound like him. SRV had a MASSIVE signature sound, especially in his later years, that was full bodied and rich with tonal qualities that resembled a hollow body blues/jazz guitar with an extra deep growl. SRVs guitar was highly modified using huge .013 to .058 strings to transmit a bigger signal. Jumbo-style frets facilitated intense string bending. He liked an oversize neck radius. His Strat had super high action which means the strings were stretched high above the neck. His guitar often tore off the calluses that had to be superglued back onto his fingertips more than once. He played with strength and power. SRV used an Ibenez Tube Screamer as a line driver booster of sorts to overdrive the amplifier input stage of his tube amplifiers that drove well broke-in speakers. In the studio, SRV would close mic a mix of Marshall and Fender amplifiers/speakers. As many as 32 were up and running in the studio as he used many different combinations on different tracks. That describes some of the reasons for that warm and ballsy sound. And, this new Rev speaker translates that unique sound more honestly as SRV was intended to be heard. In balance. In attack.
In its entire bandwidth. This is why sound quality makes a difference.
In contrast, when you hear a peaky and strident speaker with over-emphasized treble that butchers the SRV sound, you instantly know it. The initial bright appeal and appearance of false detail quickly passes as SRVs artistry is turned into a thin, tinny, transistor-radio-like guitar squeal. That is NOT the way SRV is supposed to sound.
The new Rev reproduced SRV the way he should be heard. I don't want to miss out on the unique characteristics of this artist or instrument or any other artist or instrument.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-14-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliments fellas.... The 3 Syn4's were added this year, along with the 3 pair of Rev8's. I hate to take Mr. David's thread off-topic about my boat, but I'll throw this out there anyway: To answer some questions, I've got 2 12" XXX's, 2 Syn1's, and a Syn4 powering 6 XS-650 inboats. 1 of the enclosures was removed to access where the amps are. I used to have a Syn6 in there under the 2 Syn1's laying flat. The XXX's, 650's, and 3 existing amps are on their 3rd season and still kicking butt!!!! The install was done like it is to save space. Skier's Choice had that whole console full with batteries, a cheap sub, and amps. I've got the floor completely uncovered except for the sub, so there's a lot more storage then before. I did some more tuning on the Rev8's yesterday when I took these pictures, and I'm really thoroughly impressed with the better sound quality over the 3-Some with Pro80's.

A couple more pics:

Old     (wake4life6)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-14-2011, 11:06 PM Reply   
So should I sell my 2 pro 485's? Are a pair the rev 10's better?
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-15-2011, 5:20 AM Reply   
I just learned about Stevie Ray Vaughn on Wakeworld.... Never expected that!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
It was kind of sudden for me too.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-15-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
must.... get....... a ... pair.... of... rev... 10's..... soon...
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-15-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
At least someone knows exactly what I heard now.

I'd love to hear some Rev 8's or 10's through a killer tube amp with some of my SRV vinyl. Maybe that's a project for the boat next year. HAHA

Last edited by muckinaround; 06-15-2011 at 8:20 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
Jonyb
Is the amp right behind the fire extinguisher mounted directly to the wall of the walk way? Thats where I would like to put my next amp (when ever I finally get the money to do it) on my 24V and wanted to make sure that the board behind the carpet was strong enough to hold an amp.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-15-2011, 8:08 PM Reply   
Yes Blair, the amp is mounted directly to it. That's where 1 amp was located when the boat was built. If nothing is there now, I'd be careful.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-16-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
David,

That is a great review and really made me smile. I have been a fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn since I was a kid and he really signifies the live music capital of the world theme Austin has. I smile every time I see the statue that was erected after his death in honor of him. I use a couple SRV tracks during my design and voicing of the speakers. I have a whole set of music from different genres but SRV is always a part of that. So pretty cool you used it for demo. I used to work with PMC speakers out of the UK years ago. They build some amazing pro audio, recording studio reference monitors and home audio speakers. They can get down and they have the smallest transmission line bookshelf I have seen and some crazy subs. So after a long day of the CES show and listening to the same old same old boring demo’s of the same songs over and over. I was over at PMC’s suite and they threw on the SRV for me on the AML1 active monitors that had Bryston amps built in and let it rip. That was nice. When the music connects with you, it is so much better!

Keep the pics of the Revolution coming! Ya’ll send them to my email at twhite@wetsounds.com

REV 10 are only a week away!!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-19-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
No one, at least in this thread, has mentioned the new Wetsounds collars. I was so caught up in the new signature sound of the Revs that I overlooked them.
The non swivel and swivel collars both have a greatly reduced profile resulting in much lower hang height. They just look better too in my opinion.
The new swivel mount can rotate front or rear without any exterior wiring (it all goes through the center of the collar) and requires the adjustment of only a single bolt to either remove or swivel. Here is where the design gets heavy duty industrial. The single bolt has a nylon stop that even if you forgot to re-tighten it, the bolt is inhibited from ever backing completely out on its own. In a careless moment this could keep you from losing a speaker during a tow back home.
The bolt does not insert directly into a machined gap. Instead, the bolt controls a thick fork that locks into the machined groove. There is no way you could shear off the fork. You couldn't ask for a more positive lock, again, with only the simple adjustment of a single bolt.
If you are beached you can spin one or both speakers to project over the bow or you can run them in opposing directions for front and rear coverage.
The internal disconnect on the swivel mount uses a really nice male/female multi-pole plug and receptacle set that allows rotation of the entire set rather than on the connectors themselves. This allows a really positive electrical connection with alot of contact area between the male and female parts. You will never have to worry about an intermittent connection.
I realize its hard to visualize all that I have described without photos. I'm doing my best to convey that this is an exceptional piece of design engineering and tooling. I originally began my carrer in the design and tooling business as a draftsman so I have been exposed to automotive, aviation and even plant layout. IMO, this is a well designed collar! Great job Wetsounds.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
We have joined the Wet Sounds Revolution, a few pictures of the Wet Sounds Revolution REV10 Speakers before the install. A few things that caught my eyes were how heavyduty the cones and surrounds look, feeling them you can definently understand how Wet Sounds upgraded the materials used in these speakers. Another thing that caught my eye was their attention to detail, the stainless overlay is inlayed into the grill making it flush with the rest of the grill surfaces.

Got everything installed the weekend before the 4th of July, just in time for the holiday. We had listened to the new setup at the house and in the warehouse when tuning them but, had not really had them in the open until this past weekend and man were we blown away. Just to give a little background we had two Wet Sounds Pro485's on the last boat on a Centurion double up tower and could not have been happier, they rocked like nothing else we had ever owned. With the new Centurion since we went with the Gladiator tower our only choice was single speakers because of the way they mount to the tower. After some debating we went with a pair of Pro80's and a pair of MB8's, the set up rocks but, was not the pair of Pro485's that we had become used to. So the original plan was to add a Pro485 in the middle of them to get a richer sound. The amp rack was setup and had a amp installed for the Pro485 but, we never had time to get it installed since we needed to redo the set of brackets that held the Pro80’s. Then we heard the Revolution Series was coming out and we decided to wait. We got to listen to a pair of the prototypes and were sold and decided to switch out the tower speakers and amps. After spending time railing on them over the weekend we could not be happier with our choice to replace the original setup with the Rev10's and switch out the two Syn2 amps and replace them with Syn4's to power each Rev10 at 400 watts rms. Every person behind the boat over the weekend could not believe the clarity of these speakers. The sound is so well rounded they truly sound nothing like a compression horn driven system. They are crisp, very rich and put out a ton of bass. It is shocking how good the speakers sound by themselves with the sub and interior turned off. Turn everything on and you get a concert right behind your boat, the Rev10's are the most amazing, best sounding tower speakers I have heard to date, you have got to hear these things!

A few pictures of the install on our 2010 Centurion Enzo SV240

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-08-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Wow nice work Tim. Sounds like your new speakers are going to be a huge hit. I have an Exile system that will be installed on Monday. I'm really contemplating getting rid of those speakers because you have accomplished what I was looking for in a speaker. 1) Your speakers now swivel. That was the biggest reason I went with Exile. 2) More rich sound. It was one of the biggest reasons I stayed away from WS. I had ridden in a boat with WS system and just thought it to harsh for my liking. I am looking forward to seeing these puppies out on the river and will more likely than not end up with a pair of these. David which speakers would you go with the REV 10's or the REV 8's which have the best overall performance? Thanks for the reviews and keep up the good work.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-08-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
I will second that recommendation, have had a set on the boat for about 20 hours of use now and they do sound awesome. I am only running a pair of the REV 10s and they have great mid-bass and the clarity of the high pitches are noticeable over the pro 80's. I really enjoyed my Pro 80's, but the Rev 10's are definitely an upgrade from the Pro 80's.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-08-2011, 5:44 PM Reply   
Travis,
We just upgraded a BU from two pair of Pro80s to two pair of Rev10s which are powered by 375 watts to each speaker. The BU owner wanted to know if it would sound better. I really wanted him to hear the difference for himself so he came by the showroom for an AB comparison. It took him about 10 seconds to make a decision. It wasn't the volume that infuenced him because its hard not to be satisfied with the output of four Pro80s. But the added midbass extension, more articulate highs on the upper harmonics and the smoother vocals were instantly obvious. But with 1500 watts going to four Rev10s the initial reaction by everyone that heard the finished boat was total shock. A snare drum rimshot will crack like a whip in front of your nose. I'm sure RiverRunner with similar power on four Rev10s can attest to that experience.
E,
That's a difficult comparison to make. If you are a purest, the Rev8 has an incredibly linear response without a peak or valley. If you want the absolute strictest interpretation of the recording and you listen to alot of contemporary vocalists its hard to improve upon the accuracy of the Rev8 in an HLCD speaker. The only SQ advantage the Rev10 holds is midbass extension. I think the Rev8 has a very slight advantage through the middle frequencies given the smaller midbass driver in a two-way system. But if you want the occasional rock concert and you want to be king of the cove there is no substitute for larger pod displacement and more cone surface area.
Eventually GM will introduce a V6 Corvette with acceleration that will set the automotive industry on its ear. On the other hand there is the torque of a 455 Trans Am that will burn rubber at will from here to the horizon if you can keep it on the road.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-09-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
What is the difference in enclosure size between the REV8 and REV10?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-09-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
GD,
Rev8...9" diameter
11" deep

Rev10...10.5" diameter
14" deep

Not exact but very close.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-09-2011, 8:01 PM Reply   
David,

Did you guys do the Rev10's on the white/orange VLX that's on Lewisville? I saw him last weekend with 2 sets of Rev10's, then drove by his lift today and saw it sitting with 3 set's of Rev10's now. He came rolling through party cove last weekend blaring the new setup and it definitely sounded good. I didn't see the need for a third set, but hey, whatever you gotta do to make you happy. They look awesome on the tower though. Sounded great up close and 200ft away.
Old     (cibolasam)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-10-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
I know it's not optimal, but can you run a pair of Rev 10s of a bridged 600.4 Alpine PDX or even a JL HD 600/4?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-11-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Sam,

Not sure which Alpine you are refering to but the 4 ch bridges to 200x2. The JL bridges to 300x2. So the JL would give you more power. We run the SYN-4 bridged for 400x2 and that is the optimum but 300 watts is still good too and we have customers running the SYN-2 for 200x2 which is what the Alpine would do and it works out OK. I prefer to run the bigger power as the 10's really come alive with some power.

Thanks for the kind words and awesome pics. Riverrunner..boat look insane! we just got our Tige demo boat hooked up with Dual REV 10's off Dual SYN-4's. WOW.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (dachbr)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
I'm using the JL HD 600/4 with a pair of Rev 10's. Sounds incredible and crazy loud.
Old     (Tjay)      Join Date: May 2011       07-11-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
What is the weight(lbs.) of the rev 10's?per speaker?