Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2009, 1:19 AM Reply   
I'm a beginner, so bear with me.

I think I need a 143, but my ex thinks that is way too long for me. He's the pro, but he also only weighs 130 lbs, to my...well, a LOT more. I looked at the size guide on evogear.com and it sounds about right...and when I tried the shorter board I couldn't get up, like I could on the longer board. Since this would be my first board, I'm not against buying used and cheap. Also, it seems like I may be a slow learner, so I will probably use this board for a long time before moving up to something more rad.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-19-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Did you check the equipment reviews on this site? They are pretty accurate as it relates to recommended board size. 143 is pretty long unless you are somewhat tall.

I think you have a couple of pretty good shops in that area. If not, go to Performance Ski in Orlando and they will give you good advice & have a demo program you could "try before you buy" with!
Old     (flwakecat)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-20-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I'm looking into buying my first board too. Gone through all the reviews and researched endlessly. I don't want to buy a beginner board because I don't want to be in that category for an extended period of time, I'd rather work harder on a higher level board.

And I'm also debating between a girls and guys board... all I've ridden is guys boards so I don't really know if it makes a bit of difference?!

For guys boards I've read great reviews on the ronix ibex, liquid force lyman, & hyperlite murray.
Old     (psychowakechick)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-20-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
I am a taller and bigger woman, and I ride a 140. 143 seems pretty long... I have a CWB Sapphire with Tiffany bindings and I love them!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-26-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I am 5'6" 136 is plenty long enough. Unless you are tall. Whatever board shop you go to. If they sell professional equip. they should help you.
But if you go somewhere smaller, know what your buying. 143! yikes that is long
Old     (jenjen)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-26-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
I'm also 5'6" and, like Lisa, ride the Sapphire, but 134 which is perfect for me. The ladies on here are awesome and would trust all they say!
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       05-26-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Yea I guess a 143 is too long. I've been using a 140 to learn on, but I can see myself moving down to a smaller board than that soon. I am fat, though, so I thought it went just by weight. I'll take a look around, and my ex said I could borrow a board of his and see what I like. (Of course, when I call to actually borrow, he doesn't answer. That's why he's an ex.)

Kat--I'm going to be at OWC tomorrow! My first trip to a cable park! I'm excited!!
Old     (flwakecat)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-26-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
oh i wanna go... i've gone down there for events and just to watch but haven't ridden there yet :-)
Old     (psychowakechick)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-27-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
The length of your board IS supposed to go by your weight. Even if you are short, but weigh a lot, you will need a longer board. I am tall, but I mainly have a long board because I am also heavy.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-27-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
How was OWC, Rachel? Did you get to try out a different board?

Lisa - I agree that weight is a factor to consider when choosing a board. But, I think buying one too long can also hinder your progression. IMO, the width is more important than the length when considering a board for a person with a bit more weight that is not very tall. I'm not saying go out and buy a 132, but don't purchase a long board that you don't know you will feel comfortable on. The only way to know is to demo.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       05-27-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
Oh, man, Kat. I hate cable parks. I've only been out wakeboarding three times, all with a boat and/or boom, and cable parks are SO different! I was there for two hours and ate 50 times, right off the dock. I guess I'm used to there being some type of throttle, or my usual driver is really good, but I just couldn't get the hang of it today, coming off the dock. I got really discouraged around the 35th time, but I took a break then tried again and again. I didn't want to give up, but my arms were just ready to fall off. Then, my friend who came with yelled at me for being bummed (even gay guys can be emotionally unavailable) and made me cry. So I just came home. Oh...and it is my 30th birthday today.

As far as the boards go, I've been using a 140 with no problem. I asked the chick at the rental station for a shorter board, and she didn't have any. I'm assuming they were all around 143 or so. I'm only 5'4" and although I've lost over 20 lbs in the past two months, I'm still just over 200lbs. (I have giant boobs, too, not a wakeboarders' friend, it turns out) I'm working on losing more, though, so I'm gonna hold off on the board for now, and I've been working on my arms like crazy. In two weeks I went from 7 to 35 push-ups. It's still a lot of weight to heft out of water, though.

Like I said, I'm working on it. :-)
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-28-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
I've only ridden the cable one time & it was on the "beginner" side. It is quite different starting from the dock on a cable vs. a pull up behind the boat! Those push ups should come in real handy for you!

I hate that the experience/friend made you cry on your birthday!! Happy Late, Birthday! Get out behind a boat asap, so you can have good thoughts about wakeboarding once again!!
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       05-28-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Thanks!

I am going out on the lake today. My arms are sore as hell from the park, but I'll hopefully get a couple good pulls out of it. After that, I'll just rest up until Sunday.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-28-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
Don't give up on the cable. It sucks at first but is awesome when you get the hang of it.