Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2022, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
My only advice for the foreseeable future is to use less.
You can imagine my smugness charging my EV using my roof top solar every day.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-09-2022, 1:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
1 electric car takes 5 yr(aprox) to recoup the carbon emmisons caused by creating it, mining etc. So you have a gas car for 5yr, vs an electric car for 5 years, its a wash, unless you keep it for 10 years, and charge off solar only, you have to burn gas or oil or coal to create the energy to charge.

Estimates have been done for over 20 yrs. you would need nuclear everywhere to run electric cars. the amount of energy to charge cars would be off the charts if everyone had one. So commercial transportation would be crippled and people would be in the dark ages unless you can make a 1000 mile unit, that can charge is 8 hours, runs in the cold. and does not eat 80% of it charge towing. So a RIVIN gets 220 mpe tow with it, it get 30 to 40 miles out of a charge, large commercial equipment would fail.

The battery tech is not there yet, and the infrastructure is never going to be there, unless we come up with some new science, quickly. Hydrogen and liquified gas is the answer.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2022, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
1 electric car takes 5 yr(aprox) to recoup the carbon emmisons caused by creating it, mining etc.
1. Not true:
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...rs-2021-06-29/

2. Nobody cares about carbon footprint, they care about running costs and energy independence.

Ironically right wingers say they are all about personal responsibility and think energy independence is important but won't make simple choices to solve this issue. No, they will wait for the government to do something about it.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-09-2022, 4:34 PM Reply   
Sure would be nice if the Biden could get some oil help from the middle east, but saudi arabia and UAE refuse to even take a phone call from him:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=entnewsntp
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-09-2022, 11:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
1. Not true:

2. Nobody cares about carbon footprint, they care about running costs and energy independence.

Ironically right wingers say they are all about personal responsibility and think energy independence is important but won't make simple choices to solve this issue. No, they will wait for the government to do something about it.
Please give John Carey a call about "nobody cares about carbon footprint" lol So you lefties no longer care about the carbon footprint because the the reality of the end game, toxic cathode powders, batteries that cannot be pulled apart, and landfills will be miles High with materials not able to be separated.

Again, Electric is not there yet, for wide usage. The battery tech is not ready. Maybe in 25 or so years, but not yet. And if you are saying the carbon footprint is now a moot left wing argument, your left wing boobs have been full of ****?

Maybe we should try cutting off oil and gas to NZ and see how it go's. Would be a good experiment and we can see how well it works
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2022, 11:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Please give John Carey a call about "nobody cares about carbon footprint" lol So you lefties no longer care about the carbon footprint because the the reality of the end game, toxic cathode powders, batteries that cannot be pulled apart, and landfills will be miles High with materials not able to be separated.
The environmental stuff is fun to virtue signal about because it winds the numpties up but honestly I didn't care about fracking, tail pipe emissions or middle eastern conflict when I drove a petrol car, I don't care about battery recycling or any other nonsense you talk about now. I like my tesla because it's practically zero running cost and a blast to drive. After owning one I'm never going back to petrol, EV is just better. Hearing petrol heads clutch their pearls about how concerned they are for the enviroment is hilarious, thanks for the laugh.
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2022, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
The environmental stuff is fun to virtue signal about because it winds the numpties up but honestly I didn't care about fracking, tail pipe emissions or middle eastern conflict when I drove a petrol car, I don't care about battery recycling or any other nonsense you talk about now. I like my tesla because it's practically zero running cost and a blast to drive. After owning one I'm never going back to petrol, EV is just better. Hearing petrol heads clutch their pearls about how concerned they are for the enviroment is hilarious, thanks for the laugh.
No concerned, just pointing out the obvious to you leftist that your fix for one issue just creates a bigger one. I am going to feel pretty smug when you have have to pop off 20 to 30k for a battery replacement.

Still have to worry about food prices and all things made with oil including most of your car.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2022, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaHoosier View Post
I am going to feel pretty smug when you have have to pop off 20 to 30k for a battery replacement.
Sorry to spoil your schadenfreude party but the warranty on the battery is 8 years and 192k, I turn my cars over every 4-5 years so yeah, won't be a problem for me.
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2022, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
1. Not true:

They don't want government to fix sh$t. They want government to get out of the way so they can fix it. Democrats keep putting up barriers to production. Regulations simply add to the cost of production and start up time.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-10-2022, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have no problem with EVs and I am in the oil industry. If you are able to use your EV and charge it with solar--great for you. I wish I could be that independent.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-10-2022, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have no problem with EVs and I am in the oil industry. If you are able to use your EV and charge it with solar--great for you. I wish I could be that independent.
Doesn't everyone know that all the people have 50k solar system in their single wide trailers, and can afford a 50k car. lol

also, fast charging is damn near the cost of gas, its actually more per mile. so you better not go anywhere you need to fast charge or have lots of extra time on your hands to hang out for a day to slow charge.

I will buy an electric when i can get 1000 miles per charge and it will completely charge, from home, in 8 hours or less.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2022, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
I will buy an electric when i can get 1000 miles per charge and it will completely charge, from home, in 8 hours or less.
Then you will never buy one, the use case of driving 1,000 miles every day and charging overnight is such a tiny amount of people they will never it. Makes zero sense to carry around enough batteries to drive 1,000 miles in one hit when you never use a car that way.

EV's aren't for everyone, there will always be petrol cars around but I think the cost to buy and run them will begin to become unaffordable once the scale drops out of that market.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2022, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
For the cost of a BMW M3 or Audi RS4 which I was shopping for I bought the Model 3 performance and a 30kW solar system. The solar system is cashflow neutral, the cost of the repayment equals the power saving. When I did the numbers it was a no brainer, you don't need to be a greenie, the numbers stacked up perfect.
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2022, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Imagine your smugness as your food prices skyrocket.

On BTW, the russians also supply most of the worlds fertilizer for plants.