Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-09-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
I just recently saw em, but can't seem to find them anywhere. How much do they go for and how well do they work?? I think i might put it on my x-mas list. Looks sweet
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-09-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
I have them in my shop. The price depends on the mb. $150 for the small one, $200 for medium, $250 for big. I forget the actual mb size. I have stocked the mid size if you want one.

Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       12-09-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
Liquid Tunes is AMAZING. It almost completely blocks out all other sound, and the sound quality was very surprising. Also, weightless on your arm. Definetely recomend picking one up!!
Old    wake_schnoodler            12-09-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
Jamie...they so have them up on BuyWake.com Like Jon said...its $250 for the 512, $200 for the 256, and $150 for the 128. The 512 is definitely on my Christmas list...I just hope that I can be so lucky.
Old     (brian0384)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-10-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
All Wet Sports in jacksonville has them as well
Old     (diddy666)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2005, 3:51 AM Reply   
Oregon Scientific make them too and then are much less expensive. $100 for 512Mb
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-15-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
but where can we find them don??????????
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       12-15-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
Go to here http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/default.asp?cid=4 has anyone ever had any experience with these. I am thinking they are a pretty good deal.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a link to the liquid force one? or anyone by that matter. I looked at the one from the link above, but i dont know which brand, (oregon scientific or liquid force) is better. I dont need a lot of space really cause i have a dell dj that i use everywhere else. I just want something for the water, but i want it to be a good one too. So if anyone has links to different ones so i can compare them that would be awesome. Thanx!!

Jamie
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       12-15-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
You might be able to find a waterproof case for you Dell dj. Something to look at.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-15-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Here is the LF one: http://liquidforce.com/06_liquidtunes.htm

I just got the 128 version, but when I went out to use it, I forgot the arm band. I'm an idiot, so I'll have to test it out next time.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-15-2005, 7:41 PM Reply   
I went to my local LF authorized shop, but they didn't have any LF Tunes for me to look at. I'm primarily concerned about the head phones:

1. How do they stay on in a crash? (my H2O headphones wrap behind the head and still come off on major wipeouts)..

2. The little harmonica shaped ear buds look a lot like the stock H2O ear buds (which were horrible).. Do the LF ear buds also require trimming with scissors in a futile effort to fit an ear canal?

I'm a little hesitant to drop $250 and risk them not being as good as the iPod Mini + H2O case I'm using now.. I'm really tempted though given Joshua's enthusiastic endorsement..
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       12-15-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Alan... ill try and give you a good representation.

Staying in on a crash is what is to be expected. The bonus of the earpices is that they get way into the ear canal, much differently then the H2O ones. You have to twist them a little bit, but once they are in, they stay in until a pretty darn hard crash!. This said, since the ear buds are in so tight, the sound is amazing. Much cleaner and louder then the H2O one. In fact, its not even comparable! Imagine ipod earbuds, its almost that good.

All in all, it works alot better then you would imagine, but it will fall out on very hard crashes. In order to avoid having a yard sale with the whole thing, we run the ear piece through the lifejacket, and pull out just enough to make it to your ears... good luck
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-15-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Thanks much for the info, Joshua.. One more question, at what bitrate do the MP3 files sound good on it? I have most of my tunes at 320Kbps for the car, but I'd have to step it down for the 512MB player cause at 320Kbps an average album is around 170MB.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-15-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
i think i can manage to ride without tuens for $250/512mb. that's a bit steep in my estimation...even if it is waterproof.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-15-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
yeah definetly pricey, that's why i haven't made the move yet.... i'm addicted to having my tunes with me though. a floating light package with great sound quality is really really appealing. you want '06 board/binding, i want '06 tunes, Mad Child.. gotta keep the economy moving right?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-15-2005, 11:23 PM Reply   
I haven't tried mine yet, but I don't really expect the head phones to stay in on hard crashes. I don't need to hear music as my face plunges into the water. I just need them to stay in while I'm riding.

Yes, the ear buds may require trimming depending on the depth of your ear. Obviously, every ear is different, so it's nice to be able to sort of customize the buds to fit.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       12-16-2005, 1:02 AM Reply   
careful though dave.. if you cut too short, its all over, the ear pieces dont appear to be replaceable..

Alan - have no idea about any of that bitrate stuff.. i just download, then drag and drop. With the 256, i fit about 85 songs.. more then enough for the day
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-16-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
David, did you have to trim yours?

After I confirmed that the stock H2O ear buds are beyond redemption (even after several trimming passess), I got the slic sound ear buds and they work great (http://www.slicsound.com/ss001.asp).

Joshua and David, Do you think the slic sound ear buds might fit the LF head phones?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-16-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
I haven't trimmed them yet. I want to try it once without trimming. I think they'll work as is.

I don't think you can change the ear buds because everything is sealed with some kind of sealer. Once you break that, you're no longer going to be waterproof.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-18-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
checked out the Oregon Scientific on ebay and they have great prices!!!! thinking about trying one out.........anyone want to yell @ me or try to stop me first????? I've never heard about them before reading these two posts on here
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2005, 9:12 PM Reply   
I dunno, man, the reviews aren't so hot: http://reviews.cnet.com/Oregon_Scientific_MP120_512MB/4505-6490_7-31265608.html

Interestingly, it would seem that the LF Tunes player is just a rebranded Freestyle Audio Fusion DMP:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Freestyle_Audio_Fusion_DMP_512_512MB/4505-6490_7-31484751.html?tag=pdtl-list

The Freestyle/LF player got a slightly higher rating from CNET than the Oregon Scientific (6 stars vs 5.6), but they're $60 more than the 1GB OS player for half the capacity (1GB vs 512MB).

Overall, it would seem that waterproofing headphones happens at the cost of sound clarity, as every waterproof player I've read about so far suffers from low quality sound.

The Freestyle/LF player, it would seem does also, here's excerpts from the CNET review: "The included waterproof earbuds leave a lot to be desired. The earplug-style 'phones are uncomfortable and didn't fit snugly in our ears. They often fell out and were a constant source of frustration. We found out later that you can trip the plastic fittings without ruining the buds. This should help most people achieve a better fit, though if your ear canals are small, they'll probably never fit quite right. Luckily, you have the option of subbing in your favorite pair when you're not in the water, which we definitely recommend." and "We have a feeling the poor headphones are the major culprit as tunes sounded somewhat muffled and muted. When we subbed in a set of Shure E4cs, sound quality improved dramatically."

Just some additional info before you make the plunge.....

(Message edited by ak4life on December 18, 2005)