Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    alanp            03-24-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
Post tips, questions and external links here.
Old    alanp            03-26-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
from wakeboard singapore.com

The Tantrum is a when you come in backside, turn your back to the wake and do a backflip.

To do the Tantrum, come in with some speed and just before your hit the wake turn your board and back quickly to it (ie, bring the board parrellel with the wake). If you turn to early, you'll get sucked in so make sure your pop is right on top of the wake.

Throw your head and shoulders back to lead this trick and the rest of your body, including your legs will follow. Keep your arms extended for this trick during the rotation such that it becomes an extension of the rope.

Spot your landing as you're coming in bringing the board beneath you. That's all to it.

Tips by David Ngiam
Old    alanp            03-26-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
from wakeboarder.com

The Tantrum is one of the most classic tricks in wakeboarding, and is usually one of the first inverts a rider wants to learn. The Tantrum is best described as being a simple back flip as you'd do one on the trampoline. It was invented by Eric Perez very early on in the history of wakeboarding, and it's one of the best inverts for building on. It can be grabbed in various ways for style, and there are a lot of harder inverts that can be built off the Tantrum like a Tantrum to Blind, Whirlybird, and Moby Dick.

Prerequisties
Before trying a Tantrum you should be able to do the following things:

1. Have very good edge control, and be comfortable with aggressive heelside cuts and big landings.

Cut out wide as if you're going to perform a very aggressive heelside wake jump. Wait for the boat to start to pull you back in and start edging aggressively and build a lot of speed towards the wake.

A Tantrum is different from most other tricks in that you don't hold your edge all the way through the wake. It's a "trip flip", which means when you get near the wake you want switch from your aggressive edge with the weight on your heels to standing tall with your weight more towards your toes. When you perform that movement quickly it feels as if the wake is "tripping" you up into the air. Combining that with standing tall at the tip of the wake and you'll generate great pop. Make sure you let go with your back hand so you can square up your shoulders to the wake.

After you get your pop, you want to lead the rotation straight back towards the shore you're heading towards. Drive the rotation with your shoulders and hips, and it might help to look back with your head. However, you really don't want to violently move your head to initiate the rotation. Keep the handle in a bit to retain control and keep the rope tension tight.

As you finish your rotation, get your eyes down towards the water and begin to bring the handle in closer to your body to be in good control. You're going to need to bend your knees soon to absorb the impact, so get ready.

When landing keep the rope under control and bend your knees to absorb the impact. You might land anywhere from on the downside of the wake, in the hole, or all the way out in the flats, so be prepared.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-28-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
As Alan mentions above, it's a great trick to build on. That being said, a bad habit that I have on this trick is that I like to come in with a railey edge and then trip flip into the tantrum. This is great for getting HUGE air on a tantrum into the flats. However, if you plan on building onto this trick with others, just take this wake 2 wake. I have had a hard time learning other tricks (whirly, indy tantrum, etc..) because of a bad habit of trying to take this trick as big as I can.
Old    alanp            03-28-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
haha hey keith just fyi most of these have been cut and pasted from other threads.
Old     (michael_sollis)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-05-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
YES Bend your knee's!!!! If not..you might end up like me and tear your ACL..Alan hit the points to this trick perfectly! It might take a few tries to get use to turning away from the boat, but after you can overcome that, its easy!
Old    alanp            06-10-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
cut and pasted from this site

Dylan, it could be a couple of things but without seeing what your tantrum looks like, here's some additional suggestions.

If the handle is slipping out of your hands because you're landing on the board with lots of weight on your back foot, making it hard to keep your grip on the handle - try to make sure you're edging into the wake with even pressure on both feet. This will help keep the line tension constant and you'll land evenly on the board making it easier to control the handle on the landing.

If you're just popping the handle on the landing - make sure to not let the handle out while you're in the air. Meaning keep the handle in once you leave the wake. I see this a lot when riders are learning this trick, they let the handle out and there's so much tension that they can't muscle it back in once they're coming around for the landing.

Good luck!
Old    alanp            10-29-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (ummcarter)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 1:18 AM Reply   
I just tried this trick for the first time today. Should I be jumping off of the wake by pushing off with my legs? i can do a standing backflip on flat ground, and i treated this trick the same, I cut in towards the wake, squared up, and then did the same motions i would for a standing back tuck. Not sure if i should be doing this that way. I only tried it once, barely underrotated and landed on my front ankle hard, probably because i forgot to spot my landing. I cleared the wake and had enough height however. I'm guessing i just underrotated because it was my first attempt and it was something new.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       08-22-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
Hard to say anything useful without seeing any pictures or video, but it sounds like you're on the right track.
Most people tend to throw it too early. Might be the case here as well. I always tell people to count to 1, before they initiate the rotation after they hit the wake. This will make 'm wait for 1/10 of a second, but that's usually enough.
"Should I be jumping off of the wake by pushing off with my legs?" Nope, the wake will throw you up and backwards, if you edge right.
Good luck and show some pics or video here.
Old     (ummcarter)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
okay. I just left to college and won't be gettin any lake time :/ so i'll have to go for it in the spring i guess.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-28-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
ugh this trick is pissing me off. I get good pop, good flip, then halfway through I spaz out and pull my arm across my body into a tantrum to fakie. Anyone have the problem? how did you solve it?

all day yesterday I tried to focus on keeping my arm out, but no go.
Old     (ummcarter)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-09-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
Just calm down and look for the water by arching your back. Concentrate on spotting the water as early as possible, when you don't spot the water you don't know where in the rotation you are and the confusion seems like what might be making you spaz out.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
i have learned a slew of many other tricks, even advanced ones... but i have put off learning the tantrum for so long because i am scared to turn my back to the wake.

what happens when i do the trip is i look over my rear shoulder every time and it's a habit i can't break. so instead of flipping over, i twist out and just eat crap. i can do back flips on the trampoline, even trantrum to blinds and whirlys. how do i get over the fear of squaring up and throwing my head back, instead of over my rear shoulder? it's mess with my mind so much to the point where i can visualize an injury... this is how badly that basic invert freaks me out.

what are some good tips on learning how to commit and break that bad habit, fear, etc?

i appreciate all and any help with this. i should've put this trick in the bank a long time ago.
Old     (kriggs)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-24-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
you can do tantrum 2 blinds and whirly's but you can't do a regular tantrum... hmmm...
Old    alanp            06-13-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
bumping up
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
I have the same problem as mentioned earlier, I do a twist midway through. I can do tantrums on the tramp but when I get to the water this happens every time.
heres the vid.
Old     (phill1187)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-15-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'm having the EXACT same problem as Mike--I trip and get good pop, but about halfway through I start rotating and by the time I land, the tantrum has become a tantrum to fakie. How do I keep from rotating that extra 180? Or, should I just learn to go with that motion and pass the handle and start trying to stick the tantrum to fakie?
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-29-2010, 10:40 PM Reply   
finally landed my first tantrum today, ive been trying every set for almost the last month, i finally came on here and read some of the tips, after that i got them down in no time!! i was soo stoke when i landed, cut back across and booted a huge poked tailgrab, haha best day of riding in a while.... not to mention there was a boat loaded with hunnies right next to us for both of them haha. thanks for the tips guys!!
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-30-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
@Mike

Your trying to initate this flip by yourself. You are losing all of the pop of the trick by doing so. At the top of the wake your body should be straight up and down not leaned back as it is in the picture. Try not to look to the left also and to throw your head straight back. If you can get the form down you will have the trick. Just remember to think to take this trick up as high as you can, the flip will come with that. [IMG]C:\Users\samhanna\Desktop\untitled.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by samhanna; 07-30-2010 at 9:27 AM.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-30-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Old     (daniel74)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-04-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
Hi, I'm trying the tantrum now for several years... had also trouble with the "twist" after some big crashes i stopped for a while and tryed other thinks... now i'm back on my tantrum..after i read and watch allmost everything...i must say that when i "tryed the tantrum on the "rollers"( a double-up and ride on the outside of the wake) ... there was no twist anymore... so my advice after you follow al those steps which are written before try some on a roller make some good ones, and then start again...
good luck!
Old    alanp            07-25-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
bump