Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
just looking for some opinions. i ride a 138 behind the boat and i weigh 150 lbs and about 5'7" - 5'8". I'm looking at a ar1 and that only comes in a 53 or a 55. what size would fit / ride better ?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-08-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
53 inches is 134.62cm and 55 inches is 139.7. You're really asking an opinion question because neither of those boards are outside your range. Do you like a little smaller board for spinning/swinging that might pop a little less but be easier to handle on the water? Or do you want a bigger board with a little more weight but more pop/softer landing/surface area that is going to be more to control while you're riding. Neither is going to be drastically different in either direction, but it would be noticeable.
Old     (TyTimp)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-08-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs and a 138 board is on the upper end for me. I like the 134-136 range for my weight with 135 being the sweet spot. I made the mistake of buying a 140 board before and that was just too big.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-09-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
Harrison, you can split it like this because you are really fall in the center (as I often do). Here are my 3 tips.

How stout are you? Be honest with yourself. If you are a muscled up 150lbs, go with the 140. When I was 20-25 or so and your size I would have gone 53" all-day. As I got older and I could no longer avoid going to the gym (if I wanted to stay healthy and not get hurt) I sized up even though my weight has only increased about 10lbs (I'm 33 now).

Also consider wake size. If you usually ride a sacked out V-drive a bigger landing pad will be helpful. If you are typically riding smaller wakes, the reduced swing weight will help.

Last, and probably least important, How wide is your stance? A wider stance will let you command a longer board. If you can comfortably fit a 25"+ stance a 140 won't seem big, but if your physiology keeps you at a 23-24" stance, a 140 leave you with a lot of tip and tail.

These are just guidelines. Honestly, both boards will rip for you.
Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-10-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
ive ridden a 140 oil behind the boat and i find that its a little big or to much to manage would that have something to do with to much tip and tail
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-10-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
If a 140 in another shape was cumbersome, the AR is a big 140cm (a lot of surface area). I'd go with the 53" if I were you.