Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    MJHSupra            09-16-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
I have the REV10s w/SYN4 and (6) 650s and (1) Sub on the SYN6.
I purchased 2 Deka 31 series for the stereo bank - AGM - 105ah and 1000 MCA.
I still have the 24 series for the starting -LEAD.
3 batteries total.
My charger uses one profile AGM or LEAD or GEL. 30 amp. It's currently wired to both banks. I could just leave this on the 2 Deka 31s.
Blue Seas Add Battery setup.

Could I use the 2 batteries on the Wet Sound setup? Dekas' only?
One Stereo and One Starting with the 31s?
Or is it recommended to use 2 stereo (31s) and 1 start with a SYN 4 and 6?

Knowing the answer would depend on how much sitting time and the volume at the cove.

Mark
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       09-16-2014, 9:33 PM Reply   
The amount of batteries for the stereo is really dependant on a number of factors. What other amps do you have in your setup? You already know the answer is based on downtime listening and volume control which is hand in hand with total current draw. My theory is always get more than you need unless budget is a big factor.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2014, 9:45 PM Reply   
Are you using all 3 batteries to power you stereo or are they separated house bank and starter. I'd put everything on the two group 31's and just use the 24 for starting. The alternator will keep the starter juiced up no problem then you can shore charge the 31's when they at the days end.
Old    MJHSupra            09-17-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
For the draw on the batts:
Stereo system: syn4, syn6, eq, blue. Speakers - 2REV10s, 6-650s, 1 JL Sub.
There are some cupholder & speaker LEDs - low draw at night - runs off the starter batt.
The next biggest amp draw are the 3 Johnson pumps - runs off starter batt.
Two Abyss transom LED that are wired to a dash breaker - starter batt.
Normal other boat stuff for amp draw.

Yes, the two battery banks are separated right now- 2 stereo and 1 starter.

Probably a difficult question, but I'm just trying to get an idea. How long do you think 1 of those stereo batteries could run that setup? Assuming the volume was at a level you could talk to each other on the boat.

Continuous hours? For example:
4-6 hours?
6-8 hours?
8-10 hours?
10-12 hours?
??????

The system is new, so I have not had a chance to push the stereo or listen to music all day in the cove. We mostly raft-off with friends, hang out on the boat, or we are in the water near the boat. Never really park my boat, crank the stereo, and hang out on a sandbar.

Mark
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-17-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Mark,
There are endless variables that will influence the answer. Rather than speculate, try measuring.
At the end of the typical day and before you start the engine creating a false surface charge reading, measure the voltage with a meter directly across the stereo bank terminals.
If you are at 11.8 volts or higher then you have enough capacity. If you discharge the bank below that level you do not have enough capacity.
If you need more capacity then act promptly when adding another battery into an existing bank. All batteries in the bank should be identical, including the origin and usage.
Running the batteries lower, even deep cycle batteries, will shorten their useful lifespan.
If you manage the depth of cycles then you will get an inordinate increase in the number of cycles.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2014, 3:55 PM Reply   
Why do you want to go down to just two batteries?
Old    MJHSupra            09-18-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
I've read a lot on these posts/topics about Wet Sounds and people having multiple battery bank systems - stereo banks - mostly 3+ batts

The were a few posts with systems, 3 amps and two 31 series batts.

Since my system is so new, I wondered how much play-time i have currently. Thank you DavidAnalog on the suggestion to measure volts - 11.8 volts.

When I got my onboard charger wired in the boat this past week, one of the marine techs was telling me I had too much battery for the system - too much meaning I would not drain it.

When my comment was "why is it bad NOT running out of battery power vs having a battery(s) system that drain down"

The comment back was "it's your money"

But it got me thinking, if i could get away with 2 vs 3, it would give me more storage room in the passenger side and more money in my pocket. I think my lead starter battery will only last one more season, then I will probably buy a AGM replacement OR go with 2 batts - 1 starter / 1 stereo.

M-
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2014, 9:07 PM Reply   
Definitely keep two for your stereo. Just buy a flooded for your starting battery when necessary.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-19-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
I've read a lot on these posts/topics about Wet Sounds and people having multiple battery bank systems - stereo banks - mostly 3+ batts

The were a few posts with systems, 3 amps and two 31 series batts.

Since my system is so new, I wondered how much play-time i have currently. Thank you DavidAnalog on the suggestion to measure volts - 11.8 volts.

When I got my onboard charger wired in the boat this past week, one of the marine techs was telling me I had too much battery for the system - too much meaning I would not drain it.

When my comment was "why is it bad NOT running out of battery power vs having a battery(s) system that drain down"

The comment back was "it's your money"

But it got me thinking, if i could get away with 2 vs 3, it would give me more storage room in the passenger side and more money in my pocket. I think my lead starter battery will only last one more season, then I will probably buy a AGM replacement OR go with 2 batts - 1 starter / 1 stereo.

M-
"Too much battery"? You only have 3? How can this guy say you have "too much battery" and not even attempt to explain how he came up with this logic and now you sound like you believe him. I'd never go with less than 3 total (2 for stereo and accessories) but I prefer 4 batteries. You'll only regret taking one of your batteries out if you're dead on the water.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-20-2014, 9:42 AM Reply   
I have 9 batteries. Can never have enough juice!
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-23-2014, 12:42 PM Reply   
You got 9 batteries!? Holy ****. I have 6 and I run mine for 3hrs on full blast no problem with the boat off
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-23-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
I can get a good weekend out of mine without a charge.
This winter will be doing a 6v swap though.

2-4batt banks and a dedicated engine batt