Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-30-2015, 12:14 PM Reply   
Anyone done this on their boat before?

I'm finding my engine to be a bit lacking for the really big surf days, and have already gone to the most aggressive 13" 3 blade prop (2083).

Trying to determine if doing the gear reduction so I can fit a 14" 4 blade (2571) prop will give me a noticeable performance boost or not. All I do is surf, so hole shot and getting up to 12mph is everything.

Acme seem unsure.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-30-2015, 2:51 PM Reply   
Duffy made the change on his old avy.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777091
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-30-2015, 9:41 PM Reply   
Thanks, but Duffy didn't really say much after he completed the installation. Hoping someone else out there has done the same thing and can say more. I imagine it'll be about a $2000 job, and need help deciding if the benefit is big enough to be worth it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-30-2015, 10:08 PM Reply   
Get your prop hammered out to a custom spec?? What is the pitch right now?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-01-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
It was worth it, but I would try custom props first. Cheaper and easier. I did the whole project for pretty cheap and it only took a few hours.

What prop size can you clear? What boat is it?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
I'm using a 2009 Sanger v237. Great boat, but a little under powered for its size when you really start weighing it down. Running a 2083 prop right now, which is a 13" x 9. Most aggressive thing Acme has for a 3 blade. I can just barely fit a 14" prop, with 5/8" clearance leftover, if I move to 4 blades. Acme was recommending the 2571, which is a 14" x 12 4 blade for the most possible low end torque.

Last edited by taft; 07-01-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-01-2015, 12:31 PM Reply   
How much weight are you running and how slow is it to "plane". Mind boggling that something beyond a 13x9 is needed. I want to see pics of this boat slammed out and the wave when it's running!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-01-2015, 1:00 PM Reply   
What about a 13.5" prop. Thats a lot more surface area.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
I don't know if that's an option for 3 blade props? At least not with ACME.

But i don't have an issue with doing the gear reduction... If the performance gains are there. I just don't want to do it and find that it's marginally better than what I have now... or worse.

In your old thread you said you were using a more extreme version of the 911 before the reduction ... I imagine that must have been similar to what I'm using now, the 2083.

So if you went from a 13" prop to a 13.5", I'm guessing I should expect even better performance with a 14"?

How big a difference was it for you when you did it? Was it much easier to plane, or allow you to plane with even more weight?

I think there's a bit of a curse with making big waves... Once you start chasing it, you can't stop trying to go bigger.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2015, 2:44 PM Reply   
Andrew, do you have a hydraulic tab on your 237? That will make a huge difference in getting up out of the hole with a load.

Going to a higher gear ratio makes a little more noise and is a significant cost. Of course, I bet Sanger could install one of their new Indmar 6.2 engines with a new tranny for you. (might cost a tad more again)
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
I run a Acme 911 3 blade and it comes out of the whole easier then any other prop I have had on my 2004 Avy with the 1:1 All we do is surf, and I run 2300lbs of ballast plus people
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2015, 3:42 PM Reply   
I've got the surf tabs on the outsides, but the middle tab is stationary. I do use the surf tabs to try to help out, but they can only do so much to help planing before they hurt the wave.

I think a new engine is out of the question. I've had the boat for 7 seasons, and played around with her a lot. Ultimately a bigger engine when I bought it would've helped, but on cost, age of the boat now, and current prop clearance, seems like a bit overkill.

I'll probably be stepping in to a new boat in a year or two, so a smaller job like a gear reduction seems more doable.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-02-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
Reduce the gears or talk about a 5 blade. I struggled with my 24v until I went 5 blade. Now I can go 25 with 3k in ballast if I wanted.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2015, 1:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Reduce the gears or talk about a 5 blade. I struggled with my 24v until I went 5 blade. Now I can go 25 with 3k in ballast if I wanted.
Good idea. I just read your old thread about the 14" 5 blade you were/are running.

A gear reduction and a 13.5"-14" 5 blade might just do it.

Sounds pricey, but we'll see.

However I do remember seeing a piece by Acme, how their 4 blades got to speed faster than a 5 blade OJ. I wonder if the science/marketing has changed since they started putting out 5 blades.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-06-2015, 4:32 AM Reply   
Compare the cost of dropping in a trans and a new prop and possibly shaft to the cost of building your engine for more power. What engine are you running? Maybe time for a stroker or a big block?