Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-13-2018, 7:49 PM Reply   
I’m looking for a budget boat for a friend. He would like to dabble in surfing—in addition to have a good all round boat—replacing a 21’ I/O. His budget is tight. 30 to 35K max. There is a very clean 215 Maristar nearby. This appears to be the cruiser version of the X15 2007.

Who knows anything about this boat? If it doesn’t have any factory ballast is there room for a significant ballast system? I am very handy and can plumb one in with/for him. Right now I can’t tell if it has any factory tanks. It does possess a tower and a perfect pass, which is great. It’s also very very clean with 240 hours.

I can envision a few things, but mostly adding adequate ballast and using a suckgate to get him surfing. From there we could install go surf assist, or make a slapper system. I know raising the platform could come into play.

It has a 5.7/310 hp Indmar. I assume I could prop this appropriately to get the lug we need.

For anyone who knows much about these boats, please chime in. Thank you so much guys.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-14-2018, 9:21 AM Reply   
Isn't that the one with the built in swim platform to the hull? It isn't going to be a good surf boat. For 30-35k I would keep looking for a used 2005-2007 Malibu VLX or LSV. 2002-2004 VLX will surf decent if you slam it but the 05 hull change is better. A used Tige, I am not a fan but they do throw a great wave. There are much better options than that Maristar
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-14-2018, 10:37 AM Reply   
It's the same hull as the X15, just a different trim level. It's also beyond when Maristars had the molded in platform, and would be the standard teak/fiberglass platform depending on order options.

Ballast, tower, etc. and you'll have a decent wake boat. Add the suck-gate and it will surf fine for a dabbler.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-14-2018, 12:01 PM Reply   
Pretty much what Tom said. In general they feel small, very compact. They do have a good amount of free board so you can weight them out well.
I would look for a Tige 22ve and invest in ballast and other features.

Nick
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-14-2018, 1:13 PM Reply   
Perfect thank you fellas!