Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-15-2016, 1:58 PM Reply   
So, everyone likes seeing diy projects, builds, or other cool stuff you made. Seeing the mini wake boat thread got me thinking it'd be cool to have a spot to show off some of your finished or in progress builds. So, post up here and show off any cool things you've built or made.

For me, I'm in the middle of building a new farm-house style kitchen table and benches for the wife that's turning out pretty nice for one of my first leaps into furniture-type woodworking. The table's in the sanding/finishing stages now, and I'll post up some pics when I wrap it up next week and get all the hardware on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2016, 2:58 PM Reply   
I will chime in later on this subject but I couldn't help my self, with this video

You didn't build That!

http://youtu.be/bQu2SVFF-cU
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-15-2016, 5:30 PM Reply   
That's pretty awesome, how long is your battery life, (average obviously, range will depend on pace set)
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-15-2016, 6:36 PM Reply   
Eric, the current car has a little over 14k mAh combined in the two batteries onboard. Not sure exactly how long they'll last but I don't think it would have any problem going 10 miles at a 6-minute pace. I've gone to the track for testing and workouts four days in a row without recharging and haven't had any low voltage warnings, so it's been pretty awesome not having to worry about charging every day
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2016, 6:41 PM Reply   
I built a Pergola down at the batch over Christmas. We used to have a shade sail on poles but it was pretty avg. Got out my saw and hammer and got busy.
Attached Images

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-15-2016, 9:57 PM Reply   
We already have a DIY topic.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-16-2016, 5:17 AM Reply   
I like this idea and wouldn't really call it a diy thread as it it just showing off a finished product, not a how to with pics etc. also you can't post in the diy section...

I've built all kinds of stuff but will try to look through my phone and find pics of some projects
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-16-2016, 5:22 AM Reply   
Built this tv cabinet for my back patio... Turned out nice
Attached Images

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-16-2016, 5:23 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-16-2016, 5:36 AM Reply   
some Nevada pride:

Old    bigdtx            06-16-2016, 6:44 AM Reply   
You gotta have some stones to take on Grant on this topic.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2016, 10:30 AM Reply   
I've got a lot of stuff. Here's a couple of samples.
- Tailgate bench made out of reclaimed redwood
- light up sign that I engraved for my brother's garage
- sewed over 100 bowties for dogs for a fundraiser for my BIL that has colon cancer
- carved sign for my buddy
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2016, 10:38 AM Reply   
Couple more.

Made this crate for my Dad to keep his car show stuff in out of 1x12's and then made it look old.

Then made a "Buzzer" for my American Ninja Warrior class with the gym logo engraved that has a car horn in it so when you finish the course you hit the buzzer and it lights up and the horn sounds (pic is from my test assembly hence the gap on the bottom of the panels)
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-16-2016, 11:01 AM Reply   
Simple but nice. Got hunting dogs? A 3 quart dog water bowl holder from a shotgun shell box...
Attached Images

Last edited by diamonddad; 06-16-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: .
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-16-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
Some cool stuff in here! I love seeing stuff that others have built.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-16-2016, 5:29 PM Reply   
Timmy, that tailgate bench is awesome.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2016, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
You gotta have some stones to take on Grant on this topic.
Its not about one uping each other, everyone has different skills, get to it and have some fun.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-17-2016, 5:59 AM Reply   
Building a custom hard line liquid cooled PC. I haven't started bending the cooling lines just yet.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-17-2016, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Timmy, that tailgate bench is awesome.
Thanks! I actually saw one on FB that Micah (can't remember his username on here) built and went on CL and found the tailgate immediately. He does some pretty cool stuff, hopefully he finds this thread.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-17-2016, 7:39 AM Reply   
Built an outdoor kitchen a few years back.
Attached Images

Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Love this Thread.

When we moved into our new house My wife started to show me some of the stuff she wanted to buy for the house. Then she showed me the prices...............yikes. I said I can make that for way cheaper. These are just a couple things. Not perfect but she was happy. And I guess that's all that matters. HAHAHa. Doing a kitchen remodel right now to......but it is summer time and lake days are more important.
Attached Images

Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Thanks! I actually saw one on FB that Micah (can't remember his username on here) built and went on CL and found the tailgate immediately. He does some pretty cool stuff, hopefully he finds this thread.
here I am. your bench looks killer. Tailgate is awesome.

The one I had I found in my Father in Laws shop. I told him I could sell it for him. But instead made the bench for him so now its on there back Patio
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
Some pretty impressive stuff.

Ralph: that looks great is that overhang at the Mango Huts? Question why does it lean towards the house and not away like a traditional roof or overhang.

Shawn: hey the Nevad pride spice houses look cool! They would make great bird houses as well I have thought about the same thing as far as a bird house in the shape of CA

I shred: that's a cool cover for your TV. Great job.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoppinger View Post
Building a custom hard line liquid cooled PC. I haven't started bending the cooling lines just yet.
I have no idea what is going on in the picture but it looks freaking awesome and high tech
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2016, 9:30 AM Reply   
Micah: that bench is awesome, I can see that making a great outdoor swinging bench. If you had a house with a coverd outdoor patio that would be awesome to have that bench hanging.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2016, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Micah: that bench is awesome, I can see that making a great outdoor swinging bench. If you had a house with a coverd outdoor patio that would be awesome to have that bench hanging.
yeah that would look awesome
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-17-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
I was waiting for Micah to chime in on this thread. His work is outstanding.

Quote:
Shawn: hey the Nevad pride spice houses look cool! They would make great bird houses as well I have thought about the same thing as far as a bird house in the shape of CA
Thx G! built them out of old pallets. Was a PITA tearing them down and cutting out the bad spots, but I like the look of the weathered wood and the price was right (free on CL). I like the bird house idea and I think it'd be real easy to mod the project for that. Might have to give that a try in the fall when boating season is over.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
Shawn: Use your current design, Just make the open part of the box you have now the faceplate of the bird house,
Do some research, Find out what birds you want to attract, Depending on what birds you want will determine the size of the Hole you put in the face & weather or not it has a perch on it and what direction the face of the bird house faces.

Make the face plate removable or hinge up, after each year you can clear out the nest material. Bird's like to make a new nest each year and most of the time will not nest in a house that has a old nest. We have *** Mouse, Blue Birds, and Nut Hatches in our Oak trees.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2016, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ralph: that looks great is that overhang at the Mango Huts? Question why does it lean towards the house and not away like a traditional roof or overhang.
Yes mate at Mango. I arranged the hight and fall so the roof area drains back into the existing gutter on the hut, If i had the roof falling the other direction i would need a gutter at the other end and the height at that end would have the effect of closing down the vista. Worked out to be a good solution to arrange it this way
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-21-2016, 10:05 AM Reply   
I built a deck around our hot tub. and some privacy shades for our patio. I'll grab a pic later
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2016, 1:19 PM Reply   
i built this king headboard a few months back and finished it with a distressed look
Attached Images

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-22-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
Nice, how did you do the distressing?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-22-2016, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
Nice, how did you do the distressing?
+1! That looks awesome!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-22-2016, 5:02 PM Reply   
I built myself a 25 gal automated brewery a few years back.[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-22-2016, 5:07 PM Reply   
Michael yessir!!

Here's the tub deck and shades. 3 more on other side of patio
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-23-2016, 10:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
+1! That looks awesome!
thanks guys, It actually was a bit of a process, first hit it with a grinder and 60 grit in spots and making it "worn" and generally beat the shlt out of it after i had worked to make it perfect. Next came stain and then alternated with spots of black and white paint and hit it with a wire brush while it was still wet to create some depth. Used rough sand paper here and there too. I basically thought about how the weathering process removes layers over time and tried to reverse that to build them out with that look. I practiced on scrap pine to figure out a technique first as this was my first attempt at a project like this
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-23-2016, 10:30 PM Reply   
tub deck and brewery are killer. Actually all the posts are killer. Theres some real talent in these forums, this thread is awesome!
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-24-2016, 3:07 PM Reply   
I had the privilege of building set pieces for the 2005 & 2006 Singing Christmas Tree programs at Capital Christian Center in Sacramento.
The whimsical stuff and giant book are from 2005. The marquee was 2006.
Attached Images

Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-24-2016, 3:13 PM Reply   
Almost to scale model of the Crest Theater marquee. We made two of these things. One for each light well at each end of the foyer. Remember this Noah?
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2016, 9:59 AM Reply   
That is really cool!
Old     (kenerator)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-01-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I've got a lot of stuff. Here's a couple of samples.
- Tailgate bench made out of reclaimed redwood
- light up sign that I engraved for my brother's garage
- sewed over 100 bowties for dogs for a fundraiser for my BIL that has colon cancer
- carved sign for my buddy
I'd love to have the tailgate bench for my dad. He has a 69 Chevy Camper Special that he loves. Same color too.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-10-2016, 10:58 AM Reply   
Finally wrapped up a new kitchen table getting an hour here/hour there after kids are asleep. It's a nice sturdy replacement for the rickety antique that we previously had (especially with 3 and 5 yo boys). I'm making a couple matching benches as well, but the lake is eating most of our free time with the nice weather and water we've been getting.

Crappy pic, but all I have right now.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2016, 11:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Finally wrapped up a new kitchen table getting an hour here/hour there after kids are asleep. It's a nice sturdy replacement for the rickety antique that we previously had (especially with 3 and 5 yo boys). I'm making a couple matching benches as well, but the lake is eating most of our free time with the nice weather and water we've been getting.

Crappy pic, but all I have right now.
Very nice! That is the next big project on my list. I really like the one you have here. Did you use plans or anything or just go off of a picture on Pinterest or something? That looks great!
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-10-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
Off of plans that my wife liked here: http://www.ana-white.com/2011/07/pla...armhouse-table I made it a 1x6 wider than the plans though to fit our space better. Somewhere along the way, I'll make some extensions for the ends that will just slide into the table aprons on some 2x2's.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Awesome! Thank you for that link!