Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dridge617)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-13-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
Hello all,

Long time reader first time thread starter. My fiance and I are blessed enough to have parents that have a place at Badin Lake, where the boat stays most the time, and have a place at Myrtle Beach. I bought a 2013 Axis A22 from Pro Marine (great dealership in Durham, NC). I would love to be able to use the boat at Myrtle Beach. However, my main concern is one that has been expressed multiple times on this forum, not having the boat be in salt water or even brackish water. I, like many people, would prefer the boat to never come in contact with salt water. Well, today we did a little local research by asking the great people at Surf City Surf Shop and Sail and Ski Connection if there was viable fresh water to put a wake boat in. They both said that the Waccamaw river is fresh water from Little River, SC to as far south as Pawleys Island, SC. Call me paranoid but I am asking on here because I want to know if there is anyone in the area that can confirm this. I know there is some sort of fresh water that people are wakeboarding in. We had to make an errand in Murrells Inlet today and when we were leaving there was a Red and Black Malibu (06-08 model) that passed us on US 17 North bound and turned onto Mt. Gilead Rd. I don't know if there is a boat launch in that area but if there is I am interested about its location. So either there is fresh water to boat in or the owners don't care. If the owners of that boat are by chance reading this then that was one hell of a clean looking boat, so if you are running it in salt water you are taking very good care of it. I have grown up on a lake driving boats my entire life but I have never had any experience with rivers or salt water.

Are there any fellow forum members that wakeboard/surf/ski in this area?

Thanks,

Derek
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       08-13-2014, 9:00 PM Reply   
Was the red and blk Malibu anywhere near Wilmington and being pulled by a blue dually? I know some great fresh water in Wilmington area if not too far from u. I will not put it out there so u will have to pm me but it is the most amazing glass I have ever seen for miles. I also bought my Mxz from promarine. Thomas is who I dealt with, the owner. A buddy of mine that I normally ride with said he knows someone at the beach that bought an a22. Wonder if he was talking about u
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       08-13-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
Oh and I'm with u as far as salt and brackish. No way my lime green beauty would ever see it
Old     (dridge617)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-14-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Mike, Sent you a PM!

Yeah, Thomas at ProMarine is a really nice guy! I dealt mostly with Jimmy during my purchase, whom is also really nice! The Malibu I saw was in Murrells Inlet which is about an hour and half south of Wilmington. But, I do think it was being pulled by a blue dually, so maybe they were visiting Murrells Inlet? I am definitely not a fan of putting my boat in salt or brackish water so when the Waccamaw River was suggested to me as being fresh water it perked my interest. The accommodations I saw for boat launches for the River were nothing like the ones I am accustomed to in NC. The peach tree boat landing we visited yesterday was a single boat launch and spanned about 100 feet in both directions including the parking lot, it was tiny. It was also a little sketchy, we noticed there were about 4 or 5 memorials for people who had died or been killed at the launch. The largest memorial was for a girl, age 20, who was killed there and they have yet to find the body. When I struck up conversation with a guy fishing there I made the comment "Man, it sure does look like a lot of people have died at this boat launch" he said "well only one girl was killed here the rest of them were drunk and failed to stop at the stop sign and went straight into the river. The boat launch is at the end of a road and the stop sign is the only thing that separates the road from the boat launch... Sketchy to say the least haha.