Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 12:58 PM Reply   
It was interesting. I figured I'd post up my thoughts on it in case anyone here was interested. The board had a surf style shape but had more of the thickness of a skim board. (still thicker than would fit in a wakeboard rack though.). The tek finish he uses makes it pretty strong, but it did weigh in about 1/2 a pound heavier than my doomswell. But my doomswell is really light, so the Lakewakes gets points in the lightness category.

I first tried to ride it with the 4 fins (2 big thrusters and 2 little ones). I just couldn't make it behave like I wanted. I only ride my doomswell with the 2 fins so I'm used to being able to kick out the rear easily. I took out the two little fins on the lakewakes and it felt more natural.

The rails definitely wanted to dig in. I guess it was a touch less forgiving than I'm used to, but certainly fast and responsive. I only got the one ride on it so far, so it's going to take me a little more to dial in my optimal foot placement.

And a video of me riding it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6X0EoIzgdk

First time riding it, I was still getting used to it but it definitely allowed for recovery from pretty far back in the pocket the first time. At the end I probably could have saved that one, but I was pretty tired after doing a slalom and wakeboard set before surfing that evening.

So all in all, a fun board. They go for pretty reasonable pricing (some of the lower end prices for a custom). Worth considering for sure. I don't see it becoming my absolute favorite board, but I wouldn't hesitate riding it or recommending it over most of the mass produced boards.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-19-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
Here we go again
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Here we go again
Not trying to cause a stir. Just had a chance to try out a new board, figured I'd throw out my thoughts and a quick vid. We're getting into that slow time of year for the forums, so didn't think adding some content would hurt.

Hope this doesn't turn into a cluster.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-19-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Not trying to cause a stir. Just had a chance to try out a new board, figured I'd throw out my thoughts and a quick vid. We're getting into that slow time of year for the forums, so didn't think adding some content would hurt.

Hope this doesn't turn into a cluster.

Understandable but after seeing 50+ pics of their shameless advertising for months and months until the thread was FINALLY removed after many complaints, seeing yet another one of their photos and not your own makes me cringe and seems suspicious

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-19-2015 at 2:39 PM.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Understandable but after seeing 50+ pics of their shameless advertising for months and months until the thread was FINALLY removed after many complaints, seeing yet another one of their photos and not your own makes me cringe and seems suspicious.
Yeah, I hear ya. That thread took on a life that the OP sure didn't intend. Let's hope that Lakewakes doesn't try and take over this one (i.e. that they just answer questions if asked).

And good point. I shouldn't have been lazy and just re-used a stock photo. I'll get a better pic that's my own up instead. I'm at work right now and forgot to take a pic of the board while I was out on Friday.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
and behind their XLV
That's not the Lakewakes XLV. That's MY XLV. They aren't the only one that has a Moomba! LOL.

See, here's a pic that I took before I went out on Friday. WA plates on the truck. WA registration on the XLV.

Just a coincidence if Lakewakes uses the same boat.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-19-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
I'll never forget that damn ski pole on my old XLV...many a stubbed toe and banged body parts on it.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'll never forget that damn ski pole on my old XLV...many a stubbed toe and banged body parts on it.
One time my 9 y/o was sitting in the center of the rear seat and made a gesture with his arms and his head went back and cracked that stupid pylon right on the back of his skull. That sucked.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-19-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
i am actually interrestedin this brand, due to price, unfortunately. thanks for the info.

if you dont mind: size of board, and what not...

thanks!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
i am actually interrestedin this brand, due to price, unfortunately. thanks for the info.

if you dont mind: size of board, and what not...

thanks!
The board is 53 x 20.75"

It weighed in around 5.6 pounds (with traction and 4 fins).

I weigh 165 and I'm 5'10; so the board was sized right for me. it's optimal weight range is up to 185 from what I understand.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-20-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
thanks!