Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    BamaMojo            08-21-2015, 5:48 PM Reply   
I will soon be in the market for a new wakeboat. I currently have a 12 Mojo but am selling it soon due to the fact that I cannot get a good wakeboard wake at lower speeds for my 7 year old. He rides around 18.5-19 mph. I am looking for someone to point me to boats that seat at least 15-16, probably 22.5-23 ft long. I really would like to buy a Supra SG or SA but have yet to demo, they are both on the list. I will also demo a Malibu 23LSV. Any other boats I should check out? What say you?
Thanks
J
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-21-2015, 7:31 PM Reply   
Your 7 year old rides 19?!? And doesn't get clean at that speed? Are you loading ballast too?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-21-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Malibu or Axis! Easily clean at 18 mph
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-21-2015, 8:22 PM Reply   
^^^^^ I agree. I'm a nautique guy but my next boat will most likely be an axis or malibu because their wakes stay clean even at lower speeds.
Old     (99ProAir)      Join Date: May 2015       08-21-2015, 8:44 PM Reply   
You're willing to dump a 3 year old boat for your 7yo? Keep in mind he'll be 8 next year and 9 the year after. My point is he'll grow into the higher speeds. The boat you are proposing is going to be so big (seats 15 - 16) may throw a wake that could be too big for him presently resulting in many crash and burn sessions and ultimately disenchantment with wake boarding.

Have you tried bumping the speed .5 MPH each time you go out? He will probably not notice the slight increases and eventually you'll get to a speed that throws a decent wake and a speed he is comfortable with.
Old    BamaMojo            08-22-2015, 5:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
Your 7 year old rides 19?!? And doesn't get clean at that speed? Are you loading ballast too?

Yes he does it comfortably. No ballast, the Mojo hull will not clean up with any config at lower speeds. Have had input from many other Mojo owners and all say the same.
Old    BamaMojo            08-22-2015, 5:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ProAir View Post
You're willing to dump a 3 year old boat for your 7yo? Keep in mind he'll be 8 next year and 9 the year after. My point is he'll grow into the higher speeds. The boat you are proposing is going to be so big (seats 15 - 16) may throw a wake that could be too big for him presently resulting in many crash and burn sessions and ultimately disenchantment with wake boarding.

Have you tried bumping the speed .5 MPH each time you go out? He will probably not notice the slight increases and eventually you'll get to a speed that throws a decent wake and a speed he is comfortable with.

Anything after than 19-19.5 and it just happens too fast for him. The boat I have now is big(16) but seems to be really designed towards the surf wake. the wakeboard wake needs 21.6-22 and the weight of an adult to get clean. It's great for me, not so much for my son.
Old    BamaMojo            08-22-2015, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Malibu or Axis! Easily clean at 18 mph

He has been taking lessons, his coach has a Malibu that throws soft Clean wakes at 17-18 with no ballast. Aiden wants to start competing next year and I need a boat he can practice his jumps on.
23 LSV is on the short list, just wanting to make sure I am not missing a brand I should consider.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-22-2015, 6:21 AM Reply   
My wife is a very beginner wakeboarder and rides between 16.5-19mph depending how I think she's doing back there, LOL. For example, some days she's looking solid but appears to be 'sinking' a bit due to the slow speed so i'll bump up the cruise a few tenths until she looks like she's working less to just stay up. Other days she's more 'active' back there and with the cutting back and forth she doesn't need as much speed to stay on top of the water. Either way the wake stays clean at those speeds, only exception being if we have the boat unevenly weighted the one side has whitewash to it, but then I just tell whoever is on the wrong side to move over or something and it's fine again.

This is on an Axis T22 fyi.

Good luck to the little guy, post some pictures of him shredding!
Old    BamaMojo            08-22-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
My wife is a very beginner wakeboarder and rides between 16.5-19mph depending how I think she's doing back there, LOL. For example, some days she's looking solid but appears to be 'sinking' a bit due to the slow speed so i'll bump up the cruise a few tenths until she looks like she's working less to just stay up. Other days she's more 'active' back there and with the cutting back and forth she doesn't need as much speed to stay on top of the water. Either way the wake stays clean at those speeds, only exception being if we have the boat unevenly weighted the one side has whitewash to it, but then I just tell whoever is on the wrong side to move over or something and it's fine again.

This is on an Axis T22 fyi.

Good luck to the little guy, post some pictures of him shredding!

Old     (99ProAir)      Join Date: May 2015       08-22-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
Nice! So cool to see kids doing something other than sitting on the couch playing video games.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       08-22-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
The new Mojo and Craz both clean up at 17 mph. As do the Supras
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-22-2015, 3:38 PM Reply   
G21 - nice wake with empty ballast at low speed. But well, you want to go out with a lot of people.. then a G23 ;-).
Old    BamaMojo            08-29-2015, 5:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The new Mojo and Craz both clean up at 17 mph. As do the Supras

Have a demo set up for the Craz next week. Going to drop my 900's in the lockers and check out the surf wake also. 😎
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       08-29-2015, 5:21 AM Reply   
You'll love it, the surf and wakeboard wakes are impressive.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-29-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
7 year old. He rides around 18.5-19 mph
That's what I'm talking about! Started my boy at 19 and now he rides at 23! Crazy you can't get a clean wake at 19 and no ballast. The Craz has also caught my eye but it's hard to give up the wakeboard wake on my MB Tomcat. Hope to demo the Craz very soon...
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       08-29-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
Great pictures!
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-29-2015, 3:36 PM Reply   
I'd Say G23 is the ticket for what you said you want. Haven't demo'd myself but from what everyone says on the forums its supposed to be the cream of crop for WB wakes?
Old    BamaMojo            08-30-2015, 3:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
I'd Say G23 is the ticket for what you said you want. Haven't demo'd myself but from what everyone says on the forums its supposed to be the cream of crop for WB wakes?

I would buy an SG if I was ready to part with 100k. The G is a great boat, too rich for my blood though.