Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
I had a surgery for a torn labrum 4 months ago. The doctor had told me that by 4 months i'd be good to to all the wakeboarding I want. Well I started wakeboarding about 2 weeks ago and have been going out practically every day since. I've been doing wake to wake grabs, surface tricks, and getting back into toeside wake to wakes. My shoulder feels better than ever and doesn't hurt at all or anything. Do you guys think it's safe for me to get back into inverts?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
No one with a similair experience?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-11-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
i ripped some muscle in my shoulder (actually shoulder blade area) last summer - took a long time to heal. but i'd say definitely wait the 4 months that the doc said to. just because it feels fine with small stuff, doesn't mean something big couldn't hurt it again and i'd assume (cuz i can't do them) that inverts require a lot more shoulder rotation. but if you wait the 4 months and things feel good, then i'd go for it little bits at a time and if it starts to hurt back off again. congrats on the recovery!
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-11-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
Well I'm at the 4 months and been doing everything else, and I've been going huge on my grabs, Its just that everyone always says how their shoulders took like 6 or 8 months and still hurt for a year. So on one side the doc said its fine but i dont think he even knows what wakeboarding is and i feel fine but then everyone else says wait longer. I just don't know what to do
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-11-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
my .02 I would pin the doc down (sometimes its hard to do) and make sure he understands exactly what you will be doing with your shoulder (his repair). 4 months sounds early for inverts after an anterior labral repair. Are you sure it was the labrum? How much was torn? How was it repaired?
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-12-2007, 12:09 AM Reply   
I had my labrum repair surgery 3.5 months ago and I have been on the water about 3 times in the last month. My shoulder feels a lot stronger than it did before surgery and definitely tighter in the joint. My friends think I'm crazy but I haven't been going at it too hard. I'm back to throwing inverts and spins but I'm not charging at it like I was before the surgery. I'm going to wait a little longer just to be sure.

I have been serious about recovering my shoulder and have been working out 6 days a week to push it along. If you think your body can handle it, and you are riding within your ability, I say go ahead. But I'd also shy away from doing anything that might cause you to reinjur it.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-12-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
first, you're young, so possibly the people who took longer were a little older. your body does "deteriorate" with age, so it's possible that you really did have a quicker recovery from others. like i said, i know nothing about inverts cuz i can't do them so this may be a stupid idea on my part, but what about getting a jump rope and trying to do some full rotations with your arms jumping rope (not just keeping your elbows bent and flexing your wrist to make the rope move). might that simulate the type of rotation you would get with some inverts, without having the stress of the rope pulling on your arm? it seems to me if you could somehow mimic the motion first without a lot of force you might get an idea if there will be pain by trying an invert.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Dang Kylie. Us old guys hate to hear that word "deteriorate". Especially when its true.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-12-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
I had an ac seperation repaired a few years ago and spent some time in the gym strengthening all the muscles in and around my shoulder before I hit the water again. I have had several sports injurys that have required surgery and each time I was very cautious. Dont get in a hurry because the last thing you want is to sit out part of this season because you went to far to fast......
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-12-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'm about 2 months out of the same surgery and couldn't imagine hitting inverts that soon. But, Like Kylie said I'm old (24) and decrepid(Sp)
Seriously though that sounds pretty soon. Go at your own pace but What would it hurt to take a month or 2 light.