Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-16-2017, 8:00 AM Reply   
Sooooo next weekend we have the Utah Pro Tour stop. This may be the most historic competitive boat event ever, with the level of tricks each rider has recently learned. I think go last off the dock has real importance now. Before riding last off the dock usually meant you were the best rider anyways, and were a few tricks ahead of everyone. Now, being last off the dock may mean that you watched everyone before you fall trying to throw hammers, because riders realize the extreme level of riding going down! Here is a list of hammers each rider has landed, and some recently.

Harley: Mute Double Half Cab, Indy Double Backroll, TS Indy Double Backroll, Indy Temper Tantrum, TS 1080, Switch TS 1080, HS1080, Crow Mobe 7, KGB 5, Front Mobe 5, Back Mobe 7, Whirly Dick, Switch Whirly Dick, Mobe 9?, All 9's except TS BS.

Nic Rapa: Mute Double Half Cab, Blind Pete, BS 9, TS 1080, Back Mobe 5, KGB 5, All 9's except TS BS, Huge Indy Tantrum late BS 3

Mike Dowdy: Mute Double Half Cab, Indy Double Backroll, Indy Double Backroll to blind, TS Indy Double Backroll, KGB 7, KGB 5, Indy Tantrum late BS5, Double Grab 7 & 9, TS 1080, Crow Mobe 7, KGB 5, Back Mobe 5, Moby Dick 7, Huge Tail Tantrum late BS 3/5.

Cory T: Mute Double Half Cab, Indy Double Backroll, TS 1080, HS 1080, Mute Back Mobe 5, Mute Crow Mobe 7, Almost every 7 double grabbed, BS 9, Moby Dick 7?

Noah Flegel: Mute Double Half Cab, Double Backroll, Moby Dick 7, TS 1080, Front Mobe 5, Method Back Mobe 5, Wrapped grabbed BS 9, Huge Tantrum late BS 3

Tony I: Mute Double Half Cab, Indy Double Backroll, Mute Back Mobe 5, Nose Back Mobe 5, Tail Front Blind Mobe, All 9's, Front Mobe 5, Huge Indy Tantrum Late BS 3

and then there is Shotta, Steel, Dean, J.D. and Tony Carrol of which some have doubles and all have hammers...

Who do you think will win?? What will the winning pass look like???
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-16-2017, 9:12 PM Reply   
Interesting post Chris! I actually think that the guys who've finished in the top 5 the last few tournaments can win on any given day. It just depends on the circumstances, and I agree with you that going last last, or towards the end of the running order will have a huge advantage. Mantua reservoir is a little shallower lake here in Utah, and so hopefully the wake won't be affected where the riders won't be hesitant to throw their biggest hammers. The local wake community is pumped for this event as it's been over 10 years in the works to bring the PWT here to Utah.

I think the top 3 will be Dowdy, Cory & Harley, but my pick as the sleeper is Tony I. I don't think much will change in terms of the passes they have been throwing, but it will be a matter of consistency and how big they can take each trick. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 doubles again.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-17-2017, 6:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply @Ryan Shimbukuro! I love you post of all the old wakeboard contest/wakeboard hall of fame etc.

I completely agree with you on the top 3, and agree that Tony is a sleeper. I am going to say Nic as well, as it seems his riding has really improved over the last 2 months.

I hope they drop a few garden hoses in Mantua today so that it is full by next weekend!!!

I think Harley is considering adding tricks to his run, definitely at least keeping the crow 7 in there, unless of course he is last off the dock and doesn't need it. I could also see Harley throwing the 10 in there if a super heavy run goes down before he rides.

I think Dowdy may continue trying to add that KGB5 and I would not be shocked to see him turn one of his 9's into a 10. I think if he is last off the dock and Harley throws down then I think he may even consider a double backroll to blind. Maybe even throwing a Moby Dick 7 in as well.

I think Nic Rapa could be a sleeper. He seems to have that double half cab on lock and his huge off-axis back 7 looks original and scores well.

If Dowdy and Harley fall, It will likely be a 3 man battle between Rapa, Tony, and Cory, with Cory having the obvious advantage.

I really wished they still had double ups at all the events! It was so rad to see the guys consider gnarly tricks at the Masters. I am sure Harley was trying to send a double indy TS backroll...

Anyhow I guess not a lot of ppl enjoying talking tech contest stuff. I can't wait to see the action in Utah!!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-17-2017, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hey thanks, Chris! We really appreciate your support of the WHF!

And I love talking tech contest stuff! I really love the fact that it's back to all wake & no rails. I could take or leave the double up, but I do agree that having it could be the defining hit that sways the score in a riders favor, especially since they are only allowed 4 tricks per pass. The top 3-4 guys are throwing similar hammers & all putting up massive runs, so it would make sense to give the rider the opportunity to have one last chance to put their destiny in their own hands, and not the judges.

Water quantity isn't the problem in Utah right now, we have more than enough from the winter we had. Most lakes, if not all, have hit their highest levels in years. It's just that the Mantua reservoir isn't super deep, and the line they will take for the comp course isn't the deepest channel of the lake. And there's some issues with the weeds that may also cause some wake problems but we'll see. The main reason that lake was chosen is that it's really the only public lake with a good shoreline for public viewing, land born staging for vendors & the city of Mantua will close the entire lake for the event. Air temps are going to be HOT next week, so let's hope the wind doesn't kick up.

I also agree with you that Nic is a sleeper too, but Tony seems to be much more consistent when it comes to contest riding. When it comes down to the podium, the question in my mind is will a rider risk it all to one-up the rider who went before him if they through down a massive run, but possibly increase his chance of falling? Or will he play it safe to make sure he secures a spot on the podium and walk away with a paycheck? The one GREAT thing in the new format is that it's the best of 2 runs in the Finals. I really like that because it allows the riders to be confident in putting it all on the line. Makes for a more exciting competition with the opportunity to see some amazing tricks & runs.
Old     (snyderaaron)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-17-2017, 7:22 PM Reply   
I got an email for the Supra premium tour experience in Utah. Can't make it then but hopefully make it to Colorado springs
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-18-2017, 7:18 PM Reply   
It's an extraordinary line up of riders and tricks! I'd like to see Mike land the late double to blind in competition so he can be the first in real life and in competition, but it may be too big a risk.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
Harley has been working on a new contest line. If he can go double roll, crow 7, double tantrum, 1080, he can win. He just has to stand it up. If not Cory or Dowdy will take it.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-19-2017, 10:01 AM Reply   
Jarrod, I agree. It looks like Harley want's to put that 10 into his pass as well as the crow 7... This is the reason that I feel Dowdy is pressured into adding at very least the KGB 5, and maybe consider either a 10, or taking the double roll to blind!
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-23-2017, 2:46 PM Reply   
It's here!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-23-2017, 5:24 PM Reply   
Bring it on!
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-24-2017, 8:32 PM Reply   
two doubles and a 1080 didn't even place (cory's second run), he did have a bobble on his front mobe 5 after the 10 but other than that fairly clean. I even thought his first run would place super clean and a 1080.

Nic set the bar at a 97, first off the dock. super clean run:

camera missed his first hit, toe9, HS indy back 720, mute backmobe 5, Big indy mobydick, double half cab, HS nose 9, TS nuclear backroll to blind.

Cory:
Mute crow 5, TS nuclear backroll to blind, mobydick5, HS 9, mute backmobe 5,TS 1080, front mobe 5, HS back 720 to flats. clean run no bobbles

The winning run: Dowdy
big tale modydick, double half cab, double backroll, ts 9, kgb 5, HS cab 9, his signature 720, nose crow5

and Cory got 4th?

Cory is the only one doing a 1080 in comp runs everyone else is doing doubles just that its self diversifies the riding which judges should like. I feel like the 1080 is harder than the doubles yet isn't scored higher. I know doubles are all the craze now, and 10s have been around for a while, but if they were easy you would see them in comps more.

Side note: glade im not a judge
Attached Images

Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-25-2017, 6:18 AM Reply   
To start with, that was the best contest ever! Nic, Harley, Mike, and Cory were on another level.

I personally think the. Judges messed up, but not so much on Cory's run but scoring Nic's first run too high. Yeah it was a great run, but with only one double, and I noticed he went g spot instead of blind pete... I think his first run should have been a 94.5 ish run and left more room for improvement. Nice second run deserved a 96.

I think Dowdys run was scored correctly.

I think Cory's 2nd run deserves to be higher than at least Nick run I feel like Cory should have gotten a 97 for his 2 doubles and the 10. He did bobble hard on the front mobe thou.

I woulda scored it as follows:
Dowdy 97.5
Cory 97
Nic 96.5
Harley 96

Side note: shortage should not have advanced. Massive beat him out in Quarters!!!
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-25-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
Side note: Shotta should not have advanced. Massi beat him out in quarters... :/
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-25-2017, 5:21 PM Reply   
Chris, I agree with you as well. Thought Nic was given too high a score on his first run, and the judges boxed themselves in too tightly. Cory might have butt checked hard on the switch front mobe 5, but he was clean on both doubles and his switch 10, along with the rest of his run. I guess they didn't count his switch front mobe 5 in his core, saying he didn't land it, but yet rode away from it.Even without that trick, he should've been on the podium. But with it, he should've won. 2 doubles in a row, a switch 10, two switch mobe 5's & a HS BS 720. It also almost seems that switch mobes aren't scored higher than regular mobes anymore. Which I don't think it right.

Cory was a class act afterwards, he was all smiles and very gracious. A true sportsman!

I also agree that Massi should've beaten out Shota to advance. And from what I understand he contested it, but the decision wasn't overturned.

The level was absolutely insane to watch, and more so in person. The venue was awesome, the crowds were great, and conditions were epic. I hope Supra decides to renew their Tour contract and come back next year!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2017, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam6961 View Post
two doubles and a 1080 didn't even place (cory's second run), he did have a bobble on his front mobe 5 after the 10 but other than that fairly clean. I even thought his first run would place super clean and a 1080.

Nic set the bar at a 97, first off the dock. super clean run:

camera missed his first hit, toe9, HS indy back 720, mute backmobe 5, Big indy mobydick, double half cab, HS nose 9, TS nuclear backroll to blind.

Cory:
Mute crow 5, TS nuclear backroll to blind, mobydick5, HS 9, mute backmobe 5,TS 1080, front mobe 5, HS back 720 to flats. clean run no bobbles

The winning run: Dowdy
big tale modydick, double half cab, double backroll, ts 9, kgb 5, HS cab 9, his signature 720, nose crow5

and Cory got 4th?

Cory is the only one doing a 1080 in comp runs everyone else is doing doubles just that its self diversifies the riding which judges should like. I feel like the 1080 is harder than the doubles yet isn't scored higher. I know doubles are all the craze now, and 10s have been around for a while, but if they were easy you would see them in comps more.

Side note: glade im not a judge

I fully agree. I think if only one guy can land the trick in the contest, that trick should be rewarded. But that KGB 5 would deserve that same level of credit.
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-26-2017, 7:26 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan S and Jarrod,

Thanks for the inside info Ryan. I am glad Massi contested.. He doesn't seem to get the contest cred as someone like Shotta... Shotta is a really nice guy in person and everyone loves him, and of course he is a great wakeboarder and landed a sick set. I just hope that's not the reason that someone like Massi gets underscored..

I completely agree Jarrod, IMO I feel as if a 1080, is just as elusive of a trick as a KGB5 or Crow 7, so I feel theose tricks should be scored relatively evenly. Those were tough runs to judge, as almost all of them had different bangers in there.

I felt like for riders to maximize their scores and uniqueness they should have done the following:

Nic Rapa: Front stale blind Mobe, and on his first run should have went blind pete to end. If Nic had a 10, a crow 7, or another styled double he could win. Those HS BS 7's are top of the game style wise, as well as how big he goes esspecially with the heel 9, and Indy Tantrum late back 3. He got scored very high in Semi's with the front blind mobe... Not sure why he didn't throw it in the finals. At least after he stomped his first run, felt like he shoulda added it to his 2nd run.

Harley: Should have either turned his toe 9 to a toe 10, or done his crow 7... I realize he fell early on in his 2nd run so that ended any of those attempts, but I felt like he shoulda included one of those in his first pass. Also not sure why everyone was scaling back their blind pete's to G-Spots, That was the only part of the contest that I thought was weak lol.. I can't believe I am reffering to ANY part of the contest as weak but yeah, that wasn't cool for me, only cause I know they are completely capable of ending with blind petes. Also I feel as if Harley is expected to throw one more hammer than everyone because he has been doing these tricks routinely for so long. I think judges will score him a lot higher and appreciate he is pushing himself.

Dowdy: Not too much... I mean if anything send his doubles a little bigger, but it was rad to see him stomp that KGB5 twice. If anything it seems he can do that Nose toe 9 in his sleep, I feel he should be making that a 10.. Hard to critique anything Dowdy did thou. He is repping our sport soo well.

Cory: Cory's run is sick. Would like to see his Crow 7 added in, as he has the most stylish crow 7 IMO. That front mobe 5 seemed like it was giving everyone problems all day. Every rider seemed to be leaving early on that trick, except for Harley. It's a shame Cory didn't boost the mobe 5 and stomp it in the flats. So sick to see him stomp 2 1080's much like Dowdy with 2 KGB5's...

All in all, I just hope Wakeboarding Mag can improve their coverage of the final tour stop, as the PWT has gotten to be highly entertaining again! They need some HD cams, and better mics, and be able to cut to the riding on cue.

Anyhow I can only imagine what Colorado will bring

The tour title is up for grabs!!!

Harley and Dowdy are tied after 2 stops, with Nic, Tony, and Cory all with a chance to win especially if Harley and Dowdy don't podium in the next stop. Lot's of intense training will be going down, would be a fair assumption..
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-26-2017, 8:15 PM Reply   
Also Dowdy's last hit is not a Crow 5 as the commentator said it was a grabbed Ole'9!!!