Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-04-2016, 9:55 AM Reply   
I'm going to try and link a video of my TS FS 360(goofy footed) My wife took probably 15 of this exact same video of my board sliding out from under me at landing. I know that I'm not landing in a position that allows me to reset my edge. I know my bum is behind me. The question is whats the cause and the fix? Too much rotation? Incorrect axis? spinning too early?

https://youtu.be/AvaPGakrCqM
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-04-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
From your video it definitely looked like over-rotation was the problem! (Have you tried pulling it to 540? you could definitely do it)

I find it helpful to consciously not look for the boat/cable & lock my eyes on the horizon.
vid that might help
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-04-2016, 2:18 PM Reply   
I was about to just move to the 5, but want to work through the progression of it all first and hopefully start grabbing the 3 as soon as possible. I'll try the horizon deal, someone else suggested that as well and seems logical. Thanks
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-04-2016, 6:46 PM Reply   
First, get that edge in control. You started to cut in a little too hard and then stopped and coasted in causing you to have to Ollie off the wake. You really want to get a nice slow progressive edge exactly like you would for a normal wake to wake. Do a ton of wake to wakes over and over. When it comes time to do a 3, you almost want to make the decision to go 3 after you leave the wake as this will help keep your form in check. Thinking 3 before cutting causes a subconscious anxiety and will keep you from popping correctly.

Second, just as important as getting that edge in control, is to pop, then turn your head and pull the handle once your getting up to the peak of your jump. Pull too soon and you will over rotate and or go off axis. Pull too late, you just bail out and do a 180.

Third, do lots of 180s. A true toeside 3 is done where it looks and feels like your going to do a 180. You want to almost pause is the air with your shoulders, body and board squared up to the boat. At that point you should be on your way down from the peak of the jump and that is when you want to pull the handle to take the 180 to 3. Toe 3s are easiest when you think 180 then 180. Thinking about doing the rotation all at once will also cause you to over rotate.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-05-2016, 1:52 AM Reply   
Hardest part for most people is the blind landing. It takes more control to hit a proper TS3 then a TS5. The above tips are good but I would also work on that blind landing. You can slow the boat down a bit and practice inside out TS3's and really dial in that blind landing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2016, 6:51 AM Reply   
Agree with Callen. And he does them switch too. :-)

I look at the trick as two 180s. I come off the wake, do the 180 (think about popping it up high) I pause at the 180 position and pull the handle in close, and then do the second 180. You can also think of it as a 180 to blind. This will help you with not over rotating.

The other thing that will help you to stop at 360 is to pass the handle very late and at the small of your back, or not at all. Try passing the handle right before you hit the water and just hand it off behind your back.. The 360 rotation should be over when you pass the handle. When you try to pass the handle 3/4 of the way through, you'll instinctively pull the handle to the front of your body, and over rotate.

If that doesn't work, try looking away from the boat or down at the toe edge of your board, and park that handle in your back pocket as you land.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2016, 6:53 AM Reply   
I'm the first rider in this video. I actually break my own rule on the handle pass, but you can clearly see how I pause at the first 180 to slow it down. I do the trick twice here

Jason Callen is the third rider.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
Mid 360. Looking at the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-07-2016, 8:46 AM Reply   
I agree with Callen on this, with what he says on you approach/cut into the wake as your definitely flatting out before you hit the wake.

Aside from that I would work on focusing on your handle pass. Looking at the video you are passing the handle with your front/lead hand way outside of your body. You're still catching the handle but its hard to keep the spin under control with your arm out that far. Taking that a step further when your ready to take that 3 to 5 or 7 you need to have that handle in tight. If you look at the video that J-Rod posted you can see when he passes the handle the rope is tight in the small of his back. Having the rope in tight to the small of your back helps you keep the spin and landing under control as you can adjust as necessary when you land with your arm to not slip out and actually stop the rotation of the spin.

It's all about muscle memory here. A good training tool I use is a handle, a bungee, and a weighted milk jug. Take a spare handle and attached about a 2 feet of bungee tied in a loop to the end. Then fill a milk jug about half full of of sand. Use this as a tool to help learn the muscle memory of passing the handle in the small of your back in tight. The idea is simple you start passing the handle around your body keeping the rope in tight with each handle pass, as you increase the speed of the handle pass the bungee will stretch and create more tension, hence working your arms more. You can even start spinning your body opposite the handle to further increase the speed of the rotation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43B3V7PqYYA