Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cporourke)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-04-2016, 7:55 AM Reply   
I just recently got back into wakeboarding for the first time in years. I'm riding in a pair of CWB bindings from 2003 (not sure if that is relevant yet or not).

I'm having an issue where occasionally on landing (or coming up short) on my w2w jumps my leading foot pushes down into the binding to the extent that I have a lot of trouble pulling it back into position. My toes are usually hanging over the front of the board at this point.

Is there anything I could be doing to cause this related to bad form? Could it have to do with the bindings?

Thanks for your help!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-04-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
Your foot should never push through the front of the boot. Even on hard crashes your boots should be fitted nice and snug to where your feet don't push forward. 2003 was 13 years ago. That kind of material should not be expected to hold up to the elements that long, especially when the boots have most likely been stored in the corner of the garage like most everyone else's, getting even more dried out than what going in and out of the water does to them. It's time for new boots. If money is an issue check out some of the sponsored shops here on WW and look at their close out sales. You can typically get a brand new pair or last years or the year prior for pennies on the dollar.

Welcome back by the way.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-04-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
are your bindings the old CWB hinge bindings? I rode some Torqs and had an issue with this.
The hinge really locked you in but if it ever came loose the bindings were never tight on the bridge of your foot so it would slide forward.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-04-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
This could be related to flattening off on your jumps and/or your handle position. If you're not using a progressive edge all the way through you may be getting pulled forward in the air. The same goes for handle position, if you're letting your hands drift up to your upper chest/shoulders it could also pull you forward on the landing.

If you're getting some forward pull you'll be landing flat/slightly forward and your body is trying to save the landing by switching the edge back to your heels. As you do this you'll have a lot more weight on your heels and none on your toes, thus you push your foot forward.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-06-2016, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalshadow View Post
This could be related to flattening off on your jumps and/or your handle position. If you're not using a progressive edge all the way through you may be getting pulled forward in the air. The same goes for handle position, if you're letting your hands drift up to your upper chest/shoulders it could also pull you forward on the landing.

If you're getting some forward pull you'll be landing flat/slightly forward and your body is trying to save the landing by switching the edge back to your heels. As you do this you'll have a lot more weight on your heels and none on your toes, thus you push your foot forward.
I'm betting this is the problem.
Old     (cporourke)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-06-2016, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalshadow View Post

Thanks! I'll try and focus on these things tonight and see if it changes anything!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-06-2016, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hey Jason made a really good point. You can do some serious damage (broken ankles. severe bruising etc) from that kind of movement. As he said, dump the bindings as soon as possible and get some new ones. I've seen feet go through the front and it's not pretty. You'll feel way more in control in modern bindings.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2016, 7:35 AM Reply   
Get bindings that hold your foot in place. I've landed and crashed every way possible and my foot has never pushed forward.
Old     (cporourke)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-07-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the comments. I went back out yesterday and definitely need to do a lot of work process wise, but I'm convinced that these bindings are junk. After a few minutes I decided to hang it up for the day. I'm going to have to buy some new bindings before I hit the water again. At this point I'm so focused on the outcome that I'm having trouble committing to my cut...which is just starting a vicious cycle.

I'm off to explain to the wife why a new boat + new board = me also needing new bindings!!! Wish me luck!

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old     (cporourke)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-08-2016, 4:39 AM Reply   
Ordered some 2015 Slingshot KTVs. Can't wait to feel the difference!

This is what I'm coming from