Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Dgsalsbury)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-05-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with slingshot? What's it feel like? Durability?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-05-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
Nope, nobody rides that brand at all. What board specifically are you looking at?
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-05-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
yes, good, very.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-05-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
You can make choice for any ride
Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-05-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
best al around boards outthere you can go shred boat in the morning and then pop the fins off and go to the cable in the after noon super durable and super soft landings !
Old     (Dgsalsbury)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-05-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
Are they light? Say the Lyman for instance. I've ridden Keith's LF and was pretty happy w it. Being a wood board does it flex like a LF hybrid board? Is real poppy off the wake like a traditional board?
Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-05-2013, 2:28 PM Reply   
yea they are very light.. it s not at soft as the peak or flx the core is made for boat and has the channels and such but has so much pop its made for boosting into the flats but gives you the soft landings of a flex board
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-05-2013, 5:06 PM Reply   
Been riding a recoil since slingshot began (I think 2009?!) can't remember. I used to buy a new board every season but I fell in love with my recoiled and haven't bought new board since, it's very durable. Plus slingshot has great customer service. They have sent me replacement fins and a new set of bindings after one of mine got torn due to somebody not strapping my board down to the rack. They have my approval.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-05-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
I'd been a diehard Ronix rider, and finally decided that I'd give Slingshot a try. I ride the 145 Kine and it's been a super fun board to ride behind the boat and also has been an excellent ride behind the cable. Very durable, the flex is there, but it had plenty of pop coming from somebody who'd ridden the super stiff alternatives all my boarding years.

It's certainly a fun ride and I'm very excited to get back on it again!
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-05-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
Which model would you suggest for a big, old beginner? The kids board and now dad wants something to hang out behind the boat with!
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-05-2013, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDad View Post
Which model would you suggest for a big, old beginner? The kids board and now dad wants something to hang out behind the boat with!
Probably couldn't go wrong with the Response or Newton. Both are continuous rocker which would make for a fast board with predictable, consistant pop off the wake. The Newton is the ballistic series so it would be a little stiffer, but still flexes. The Newton also has channels on the bottom so it would track easier on edge where as the Response has zero bottom features which would tend to make it a better cable board and more loose.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-05-2013, 10:49 PM Reply   
^^^ ditto on the Newton. for reasons above

Slingshot is my favorite for sure. Durable boards made from material and by hands in the good ol' US of A
the flex is nice for softer landings and pressing the tail out and just having fun on the surface of the water.
any of their boards are bomb-diggity

Don't forget a nice comfortable pair of boots too. If you can try some on in a store.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDad View Post
Looks like there is a Lymann in the classifieds section. Not a bad deal on that board. Not sure how big you are but its a 145.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
I love my Response. Gonna try out the Newton this year.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-06-2013, 8:11 AM Reply   
Dave- you say big, old beginner- I'd recommend that Kine. Pick up a 145 2012 Kine. Probably a good price on it too if you can find it. Channels, hybrid rocker for pop and some predicability, some extra size for you and yet still light weight. The benefits of the Ballistic series too. The rounded edges are a bit more forgiving as well.
I'm 6'1 and 185 lbs and love my 145 Kine.

Send me a PM if you want to chat more about it!

Happy board hunting!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-11-2013, 11:34 PM Reply   
I'm a recent convert as well, having moved from LF and picking up both a response and recoil last season. Rode the recoil exclusively for boat, and the response at both cable and boat. They both pop well and really do land softer than traditional boards.

Slingshot is bombproof quality. I used to break a LF witness every year, which was another part of the reason I switched. The response has held up to 220lbs going big and beating up at the cable park all season.

You won't be disappointed, plus made in the USA is awesome.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-12-2013, 4:32 AM Reply   
I'm 49 years old, 6'0 and currently weigh 225 (but on a downward trend!!!). I figure I will pickup a board in the 144-145 size. I will use this as both my board but for friends/guests etc. I love the look of the Slingshot line, like that they are made in the US and frankly, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between any board at this point of the game. I want something that is easier to learn on and will last a long time.

I appreciate all the help guys. Boat show starts this weekend and I wanted to start the search. I used to waterski way back in the day but last year was the first time I tried wake boarding (used my sons 134 hyperlite) and popped right up. Obviously to small but it was fun.....until I got a little ahead of myself and tried switch....but didn't need stitches! ;-)
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-12-2013, 4:34 AM Reply   
Oops. One more thing. Boots. Which are not outrageously expensive but still comfortable? This may be an issue because the dealer locator doesn't put a lot of dealers in my area so I may need to order online, making it impossible to try on first.
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-12-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
I'd hate to paddle against the current, but my experience with slingshot wasn't so positive. I rode the second generation recoil and wasn't a fan. Yes, the flex made landings much easier and the board was definitely unique and playful, however I found it didn't have the same snap off the make as a traditional foam core wakeboard. I would often get caught up going through the top of the wake. As for durability, the threaded metal inserts for your bindings were individual pieces, so as to keep the flex characteristics of the board. Unfortunately, this meant that they were far more prone to being ripped through the fibreglass than a traditional board which has all 4 mounting holes on one piece of metal, and makes for a better anchor. Needless to day the board only lasted a month before I ripped the binding mounts out, and the board cracked in several places. I would like to qualify that my review is based on the older slingshot boards, and doesn't take into account the changes in construction and functionality (i.e. the fast track, etc)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-12-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_waterboy View Post
I'd hate to paddle against the current, but my experience with slingshot wasn't so positive. I rode the second generation recoil and wasn't a fan. Yes, the flex made landings much easier and the board was definitely unique and playful, however I found it didn't have the same snap off the make as a traditional foam core wakeboard. I would often get caught up going through the top of the wake. As for durability, the threaded metal inserts for your bindings were individual pieces, so as to keep the flex characteristics of the board. Unfortunately, this meant that they were far more prone to being ripped through the fibreglass than a traditional board which has all 4 mounting holes on one piece of metal, and makes for a better anchor. Needless to day the board only lasted a month before I ripped the binding mounts out, and the board cracked in several places. I would like to qualify that my review is based on the older slingshot boards, and doesn't take into account the changes in construction and functionality (i.e. the fast track, etc)
Yea, they've pretty much R&D'd and improved everything to remedy all of the issues you bring up. Whatever you do, don't get a Choice unless you're just cruising on the weekends. The only negative thing I would say is, in my opinion, observation and experience, a very mis-leading warranty program/marketing campaign. Being, to me, that they put the market/customer under the impression of a certain warranty program, but in reality it is not what they seem to make people perceive it to be. It's understandable and they have every right to choose their warranty program and claims, but I do feel they gave the wrong impression/perception to the customer.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-12-2013, 4:35 PM Reply   
Matthew Spencer- Everything you are talking about is from about 4-5years ago...

Their new boards are 100% wood with entirely new build process. These boards are rock solid. Even the team riders can't break these boards. They also have a new track system that is 10x stronger.

Slingshots of 2012-Current are the best boards they have ever made.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-12-2013, 4:38 PM Reply   
Once you ride a flex board and can feel the water board moving in the water and actually feel like you are gliding on water you will never ride a stiff board again.

Stiff boards make you ride like they are designed. An all wood core flex board like slingshot makes allows you the rider to have way more control. Every movement you make either pushing out of a turn or popping off the wake allows you to have complete control.

Fiberglass boards break down over time and become old. The foam turns to dust inside a plastic casing. Slingshot's wood cores will never turn to dust...
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-12-2013, 4:40 PM Reply   
All their boards are built right here in America by fellow enthusiast. No other brand on the market is building boards 100% in America. All the wood and building materials come right here from America.

Watch this video and see how exactly the boards are made and where.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-12-2013, 5:00 PM Reply   
i will never ever ever ever ever go back to a stiffy
unless i get sponsored
which will never ever ever ever ever happen

Last edited by simplej; 02-12-2013 at 5:04 PM.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-13-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofab View Post
All their boards are built right here in America by fellow enthusiast. No other brand on the market is building boards 100% in America. All the wood and building materials come right here from America.

Watch this video and see how exactly the boards are made and where.
Awesome video. Clinches it for me. My first (and likely only) board will be a Slingshot. Now I just need to figure out which one!!!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-13-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Maybe I'm just proud to be an american but something about companies who build products in the USA really makes me proud to purchase their product. Proving that Americans can and do build better products then Asia...
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-13-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofab View Post
Maybe I'm just proud to be an american but something about companies who build products in the USA really makes me proud to purchase their product. Proving that Americans can and do build better products then Asia...
I agree it added extra incentive for me as well. But must admit that a product must also perform, which Slingshot does! That was kinda the reason I bought my Byerly back in 2010. But since heard they are not made in US. Could swear though it said made in USA on it.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2013, 10:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I agree it added extra incentive for me as well. But must admit that a product must also perform, which Slingshot does! That was kinda the reason I bought my Byerly back in 2010. But since heard they are not made in US. Could swear though it said made in USA on it.
I think the first monarch (cnc machined one) and maybe hyperlites nova cores in that same year were USA?

Anyway, i also choose slingshot largely based on production being in USA.

1.The company that introduced flex to me and changed how i look at riding and how i ride
2. Performance
3. History of good customer relations
4. Made in USA with materials from USA by USA hands
5. Green efforts - materials from sustainable forests. electricity farmed locally by wind power
6. not part of the Kent water-sports umbrella
these are the big reasons for me, and the order is pretty good too for my experience and opinion
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-14-2013, 4:24 AM Reply   
So, I have been looking around trying to determine which model is the most beginner friendly. As best I can tell, it's the Response but that information is really harder to find than I thought it would be. Does this make sense to you? I figure based on my age and size, I should look around 144-145. I was surprised how expensive their boots are. Is it best to stick with them or will other brands fit their boards? Thanks !!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-14-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
I just got a response 137 yesterday and slapped my companys on it last night. Throw whatever bindings you like on it. The fast track system works with everything to my knowledge
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-14-2013, 5:31 AM Reply   
Response is probably the most beginner friendly. It's not too crazy expensive, it's big, fast, soft, and loose. The board was a bit too fast for my taste but that said you and I are riding in different ways and can tell you that will be probably the best cruiser board in the slingshot line because of the speed. Just be prepared for it to feel loose under your feet which makes it a lot of fun. At first. Landings are super soft and it's a pretty consistent pop as well. As far as slingshot bindings go, I'm guessing you could probably be comfortable in the open toes. Slingshot boards aren't super difficult to mount other boards but it can pose slight issues with fit so if you like SS bindings then I would go that route. Hopefully that helps! No just go pick one up!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
might look at last years boots maybe to save some $

also make note that only the boards are made in the States.
i guess textile work is too easy and cheap to come by in other countries and no one makes their boots in the States that i am aware of
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-14-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Found old pic, knew my Byerly said made in USA.
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-14-2013, 9:50 AM Reply   
Love my recoil 142 and my Rad bindings. I have seen the light and will never go back to a traditional board.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-14-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Response is probably the most beginner friendly. It's not too crazy expensive, it's big, fast, soft, and loose. The board was a bit too fast for my taste but that said you and I are riding in different ways and can tell you that will be probably the best cruiser board in the slingshot line because of the speed. Just be prepared for it to feel loose under your feet which makes it a lot of fun. At first. Landings are super soft and it's a pretty consistent pop as well. As far as slingshot bindings go, I'm guessing you could probably be comfortable in the open toes. Slingshot boards aren't super difficult to mount other boards but it can pose slight issues with fit so if you like SS bindings then I would go that route. Hopefully that helps! No just go pick one up!
What model would be less "loose" than the response? I guess I could simply call the mfg but since you guys have real experience, I will toss it out here. Thanks a lot guys. I'm one of those guys who researches everything before I pull the trigger, regardless of how clueless I actually am
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-14-2013, 5:47 PM Reply   
The newton or whip would be less loose than the response but keep in mind that you'll also be giving up a touch of playfulness but getting a board with a more locked in feel. I honestly would not worry about it too much. I've ridden mine kine at the cable finless and found it to be 100% manageable even with LESS grip. You'll love the loose feel for butter slides and surf tricks, oh and let's not forget throwing buckets!
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-14-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
LOL! I'm screaming up on 50! I'm more concerned with staying out of the hospital than I am "throwing buckets" but I do appreciate your encouragement! ;-)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
Zucky, Japan wakeboarder who pushes "playfulness" to the limit on the slingshot response.
I am forgetting his age, but he is an "older guy" as well, especially in light of the sport of wakeboarding

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-15-2013, 5:19 AM Reply   
Just because you're fifty doesn't mean you can't have a little top water fun!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
Butter slides will put a smile on anyones face.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-16-2013, 9:32 PM Reply   
I'm an intermediate w2w rider...I'm going HS 180 switch, TS 180 goofy and many unsuccessful tantrum attempts.

I think I'm between the 2012 Hooke or the 2013 Newton. It would be my first SS anything...I've been riding an 08 watson 141 with 08 OT watsons bindings, Thoughts?
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-16-2013, 10:03 PM Reply   
What about the response? Looking for soft landings, but I don't want to give up pop either. I have a reflex now.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-17-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
Zach- The new 2013 boards have an updated track. Their awesome. The Newton is a great all around board for behind the boat. Olivier Derome loves it. Great pop and control. Similar to the Response with some added channels.

Chris- You can't go wrong with the response its fast and has tons of pop. Some say its the best board ever!
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-18-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   
Dan- I was in your shoes not long ago and found it difficult to narrow down which direction to go with slingshot. It was a matter of "when" not "if" but trying to find the right set up with them was difficult because of my limited ability to try their boards out.

I was on hyperlite for years (full tilt before that! HA!) and have bounced between continuous and 3 stage. I ended up going with the RADs and a 142 (2012) recoil. The recoil had all of the speed I wanted (i'm primarily a boat rider), pop, and "playfulness" that I wanted. I avoided the ballistic line because I didn't want it to be too close to the traditional feel that I'd ridden for years. Flex upon landings has been a plus too...knees are needed it these days.

All that said, the above advice about the Response/newton is spot on. The versatility of those boards are great for all different riding styles. I think the three stage boards are great for boat, but at the end of the day if you're wanting durability, made in the US, versatility....go with the response/newton.

Lastly, I bought the RAD's before the board and have liked but not loved them. They have held up great but I don't get a ton of riding time in the summer. I will likely be upgrading to the '13 RADS because my complaints with the RADS seem to be gone with the updated design.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-18-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
If anyone is interested in a cheap 12' 137 response that was never ridden shoot me a pm
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       02-26-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
Great thread. After reading, picked up a 145 Response and am looking forward to some warm weather to try it out. The board looks great, but the fast track mounting hardware would not fit my bindings. One call to Slingshot and I have new mounting hardware being sent to me today. That kind of customer service reinforces how great of a company this must be. Kyle did not ask me a 100 questions, send me through the dealer, or try to sale me on their bindings, just got enough info to solve my problem. Glad I went with Slingshot and will proabably look at their bindings next!!!!!!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-27-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
Anyone have an older recoil 142 I am looking to buy one.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
I have a question for those of you that are familiar with Slingshot. I currently ride a Murray Nova core, and I was thinking about trying a Slingshot this year. For whatever reason, I have been looking at a Kine. Would the Kine have a similar type ride as the Murray?
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-02-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
Billy- Both boards are subtle 3stages. The Kine is a responsive board like the Murray. They say the murray lands soft but I bet the Kine will land even softer.

The kine is very friendly shape and rocker. Your going to love it!
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
One other thing, I am on a 142 on the Murray and was going to go with the 2012 Kine in a 145.... I assume that will be just fine. I am 5-11 and about 195 right now but usually drop down to about 190 or upper 180's during the summer
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2013, 11:49 PM Reply   
145 should be fine
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-03-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about picking up a pair of '12 RAD bindings, are they pretty true to size? My shoe is a 12, assuming they are but want to be sure, Thanks