Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
2001 mastercraft x star ballast upgrade. Another ballast system installation. I know wake wakeworld has a lot of post on ballast installs i thought i would share mine with a few pictures of the install. Threw in some old boat pictures and some new pictures since we overhauled the boat. I don't know how to make notes in between pictures on this site to show what angle the pictures were taken at.

We decided to upgrade the ballast for we were having problems with the aerator pumps priming all the time. Sometimes taking up to 20 mins to get the factory sacs to filled. Talk about frustrating. So we decided to install a system like i did a few years back in my centurion elite v.

Here are a list of some of the major componets used for the installation.

4 Reverse pumps from simer bw85p. ~600gph Probably more like 500gph due to friction loss in the suction line and discharge tube.I know these pumps are not ignition protected like jabsco or johnson pumps.

2 750lbs for the rear lockers

1 370lb for ski locker

1 ~1200lbs bow sac for front seating area

Misc 11/2" fittings for suction line and manifold see pictures. I own an irrigation supply company so i have access to a variety of fittings to make this work in such a tight space. See pictures. If you guys are interested in more detail about the fittings i used just post questions.
11/2" thru hull fitting. Had to drink half a bottle of Crown before we drilled the hole. Kind of scary drilling the 11/2" hole.

Notes:
I figure 4 pumps at ~500gph/60= 33gallons per min flow. I figure i ought to be able to fill the sacs in about 12-15 mins ~3100 lbs

My biggest concern is amperage running all four pumps at once. Each pump pulls 10 full load amps thats a total of 40 amps. I think we may have to upgrade the alternator after this is all done.

FYI we started the install yesterday evening hope to finish up today 4/7/12. When i get done i will try to bring this into my CAD and show a good visual of the plumbing of how it works.

Ask questions if you would like or just bash the post all together!
Attached Images

Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-08-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks like changing the impellers is not going to be easy. But, I could be missing something.
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
Each pump is hose threaded. The 11/2" manifold has hose threads that swivel so i can take any of the pumps out and rebuild if needed.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-09-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
Looks good. How long does it take you to fill everything up?

That thing had some serious oxidation on the transom. How did you bring the color back?
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hoping it will take no more than 15mins to fill. We are gonna try it out Wednesday after work for her first test run with the new ballast.

4 step process to remove the oxidation.
1. Wet sand to take off the heavy oxidation on the white and removed large scratches in the gel coat.
2. meguiars buffer compound few times over until the shine started coming back. I forget which two compounds we used then
3. Wax for protection.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-10-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
love that "finished" picture. great work. hope the ballast works well. 3k in an old star is MONEY
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-10-2012, 6:50 AM Reply   
That's going to be a fun wake... Congrats, ride look great.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
How much did it cost?
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-10-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Looks like we won't finish the system to ride tomorrow. Missing a few items to finish up. Turns out the stock rocker switchs in the old xstar are not (DPDT) Double pole double throw switches. So we have to find 3 tomorrow in town and run the wires to them. Should be up and running after that.

@ Spencer. I would say just under $900 with all the pvc fittings,wires, check valves, bags from you guys, misc fly high fittings, tubing. There is no way around not spending $900 to make a flawless hands free pumping system. Do you guys expect the prices of the Jabsco and Johnson pumps to go down?Those brand pumps are just to expensive for the average DIY guy trying to build a system. I think the price point to sell more Jabsco or Johnson pumps is around $120 with a switch. I would have loved to use the Jabsco or Johnson but that would have cost me an extra $400. I have used the Simer in my last boat they worked for two seasons with out a problem. $100 brand new. We picked up two used for under $40 shipped. Simer pumps may be a little slower than the Jabsco or Johnson, but whats an extra 2 or 3 mins most of the time i am waiting on people to get to the dock anyways.