Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-30-2012, 5:46 AM Reply   
Who uses gas cans to refill the gas in their boat and what kind? Last summer we rode quite a bit with a friend who uses 5 gallon VP racing cans. After riding, we would pull his boat up on the lift, detail it and run to the store to fill 4-5 cans for the next time we go out.

My new Tige RZR will be finished in a month or so. We don't have a boat house yet but have access to a ramp a couple hundred yards away. It would be much easier to just fill a couple gas cans on the way in than make the 20min haul to the gas station with the boat.

Anyone have any tips suggestions?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       01-30-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
the VP cans are great. I use them the empty fast. I fill them on the way down and ask evry one that rides to bring a 5er with them. I can fill the tank faster tan i can get the boat clean but I am anal about the cleaning.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-30-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
My boat has never been to the gas station. Well maybe once or twice. It's much easier to grab fives and go fill them for me anyways. I have six of the Rubbermaid plastic five gallon ones. Take them on long camping trips too so I rarely but gas at any marinas.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-30-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Yhea we do the red plastic ones too. I line them up in the back of the truck and they go everywhere with me. I'll shop gas pricing while I am out and about and fill up at the cheapest spot. Than grab my 10' hose and fill up the boat. I looked at the shakers, misc gasketed to transfer fuel, but in the end my $4 hose works like a champ.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-30-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
I have the red plastic ones and fill my boat at the dock every time i finish a set or come in for the day.That way it's usually only 5-10 gallons.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-30-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I use the VP racing cans aswell, 4 of them. I can dump one in on the port as someone else dumps on the starboard. Love that Nautique dual fill inlets.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-30-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
I use one of the rolling 14-gallon cans that you can get at Costco, but I removed the hose and nozzle and just put an extra long fuel line on it. That way I can roll it to the end of the dock and run the hose directly into the tank before I release the gas. As the 14 gallons empty, I keep adding to it using five gallon cans and eventually the boat gets filled up. The pros are that I don't have to contort to fill it from the boat with cans and the 14-gallon tank takes the place of almost three 5-gallon cans. Plus, you can do other stuff while it's filling. The cons are that the hose is small, so it takes a little longer, but since you don't have to watch it, who cares? You can get your gear ready while it fills. Also, if you have stairs or rocky terrain, you might not be able to roll it very well.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-30-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
Trick to the VP race cans is get a hose and put it on the vent and zip tie it to the handle. If you used these cans u know what i'm talking about.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-30-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Not sure if you guys do this when filling from the red cans...but we always unscrew the nozzle, sit the can on the dock or boat & stick a 4' plastic hose down inside the gas can and blow in between the gap of the can & hose and it creates a siphon. Empties the gas can within a matter of minutes. No spilt full or holding the can.

U probably knew this but thought Id share for those who didnt know.
Old     (Mchristie)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-30-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
I use Tuff Jugs. Super product. Make sure to get the adapters the fit on the ends.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
I don't know if you can find them anymore but the Hunsaker 5 gallon (holds six) are awesome, extremely fast like 45 seconds, and won't fall over in the trunk.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-31-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I don't know if you can find them anymore but the Hunsaker 5 gallon (holds six) are awesome, extremely fast like 45 seconds, and won't fall over in the trunk.
U can still get them here in Dallas at 4wheel parts, but they are $100 ea and if you drill the vent and add a hose on the VP's they are just as good for $20.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-31-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Ohh, mine were like 38 each. It was worth the money to finally rid myself of the red leakers.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-01-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
I wish they still had the 8-gallon Hunsakers!!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-01-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I wish they still had the 8-gallon Hunsakers!!
http://www.superduty-hq.com/Hunsaker9GallonFuelJug.aspx
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-01-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Yikes, $95 and only $5 more for the 12-gallon can. A little steep, but good to know they're back on the market!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-02-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
Awesome Jugs!!! Looks like they modified the top of the jug. I found them for less but they still are expensive. I think they target racers who want a quick fill.

How do we keep our prices so low....volume, volume, volume....
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-02-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Where did you find them for cheaper? I used to have an 11-gallon, but it split down the side. I still have one 5-gallon and it's definitely my favorite.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-02-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yikes, $95 and only $5 more for the 12-gallon can. A little steep, but good to know they're back on the market!
Wow, the 12 gallon can seems like it would be great but I'm not sure it would be much fun it would be to fill the boat with that thing full! At almost 73lbs for 12 gallons of gas that would be a beast to handle, especially if the boat was docked.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-02-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
I used to use it like I described above where I'd pour it into the 14 gallon can that's draining into the boat. It is a bit heavy, but it pours really fast so it's not that bad if you're filling it on the trailer. Pretty much impossible on the water. That's why I'd like to get some of the 8-gallon versions. That would be just perfect.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Just siphon it like in this video(The hose may be 1" though instead of 1.25"...I'm not sure):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAtWlmzN3k
We found that instead of trying to cup where the hose goes into the can you can just use your palm and push down on the hose (like your trying to kink it) just after it comes out of the can and it will seal to get the siphon started.

These cans cost $15/each and the hose is $3. Empties 5 gallons in 30 seconds and you don't have to hold the can on your shoulder the whole time. There has been a few threads on this but here was one of the last that I know about:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ghlight=siphon
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Then your houseboat trips can look like this and you can spend all the money you saved by bringing your own gas on BEER!
Attached Images

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-03-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
Has anyone used this can? It's 15 gallons so it will be a bit on the heavy side but hopefully it would work well using one of the many siphoning methods. The squeeze method sure seems easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaz-Products-7.../dp/B002RLCPM6

For $75.99 and free shipping through Amazon Prime it seems like a good value as long as it siphons well.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-03-2012, 3:51 PM Reply   
I don't think the squeeze method would work in a can that big since you need to get a seal around the neck to start the siphon. Unless you use the shaker siphon but you will have to modify the hose since it's only about 5ft long. Also 15 gallons x 8.35 = 125lbs. Have fun lugging that thing around!
Old     (baltfrog)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-03-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
I've got a 28 gallon gas caddy that is crucial. Roll it right down on the dock get the boat lowered to a point where its still on the lift but can't go a lot lower with out coming free. That creates the downward flow i need and the hose drains from the bottom of the caddy which makes it fill pretty quick. The last gallon or two drains a little slow, but its no biggie. So convenient, even if they are a little expensive. I highly recommend one. As a qualifier, being on a big river the dock is fairly high off the water.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-03-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
I don't think the squeeze method would work in a can that big since you need to get a seal around the neck to start the siphon. Unless you use the shaker siphon but you will have to modify the hose since it's only about 5ft long. Also 15 gallons x 8.35 = 125lbs. Have fun lugging that thing around!
Getting a seal on a 15 gallon can is no different than getting a seal on a 5 gallon can. I can see it taking more effort to get the siphon going on a bigger can. I plan on ordering an additional cap for it, drilling it out and siliconing a 2" or so tube through it so that it creates a good seal. I also thought about adding a smaller tube and sealing it in to use to blow air into the can to create the siphon. I guess we'll see.

BTW, the average weight of gas per gallon that I could find online is 6lbs. That would make the total of 15 gallons = 90lbs plus the weight of the can. Even at 100lbs, I don't see that as too big a hassle unless I've had a few too many beers.

We'll see. I ordered 2 of them and I plan on getting at least a couple 5 gallon cans also. That way I don't have to completely fill each 15 gallon tank unless absolutely necessary.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-04-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Just picked up 3 vp's for $18 each and free shipping from here.
http://www.streetsideauto.com/search...Page=10&Page=2

Can someone post a pic of the vent hose mod? I typed it into Google but nothing came up.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-04-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
TJ- Let me know how that works out. I'm interested to see if blowing into the can with another hose would create a siphon.

Your right on the weight of gas. I just assumed it was close to water.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-04-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
ryan, it works great. its the same principle of increasing the pressure inside the container greater than the pressure outside of the container. either by blowing into (pressurizing) the can or by reducing the volume of the container without reducing the volume of air (pressurizing) by squeezing it.

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 02-04-2012 at 8:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-07-2012, 10:58 PM Reply   
Matthew, how much do those cans hold? It doesn't say on the website. I'm assuming 5 gallons.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-08-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
rated at 5 gallons, hopefully closer to 6
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-08-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
I get 6 in mine no problem.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-08-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
I'm a fan of cans with some kind of handle near the bottom so that it's easier to pour.
Old     (lgndracer)      Join Date: May 2008       02-16-2012, 6:06 PM Reply   
I have quite a few of those Jaz 15 gallon cans from when I used to race cars and we haul them down to the boat all the time.
We use one of those siphon tubes with the check valve in it to empty most of it into the boat, then when there is only a few gallons left we just dump it in. They work great.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-16-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I use the Hunsaker and this one, which is much cheaper. Like I said, I like having a handle on the bottom for easy pouring.

Name:  jugs3.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  14.1 KB
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-16-2012, 11:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
I use the Hunsaker and this one, which is much cheaper. Like I said, I like having a handle on the bottom for easy pouring.

Attachment 19761
What brand is "this one"... I want some cans similar to the Hunsakers but can't see dropping that kind of coin on gas cans.
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-17-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
What brand is "this one"... I want some cans similar to the Hunsakers but can't see dropping that kind of coin on gas cans.
Go with Jegs performance 5 gal. cans. Only $20 on the Jegs website. I'm sure you can possibly even find them cheaper somewhere else if you really wanted.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...80211/10002/-1
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-17-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
These are made by PU-Products. However, I can't find them on their website (pu-products.com) anymore and I'm 99% sure that's where I got them. In fact, I don't find them much of anywhere on the Internet except for some really expensive ones on Ebay. Weird.

I like those JEGS utility jugs. Two handles, nice vent and reasonably priced. However, it looks like that price doesn't include the hose.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
the melvinator found a great deal on the vp jugs..17.99 free ship, they do hold 6gls with room for expansion.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-17-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
I use 3 red 5-gallon plastic cans and a shaker syphon. I never pour-don't want to risk spilling any gas on or near the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloToo.../dp/B000EH0ORI
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-17-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
Houston Shark - I mentioned something to you on TO but never heard back? What area of Houston do you ride in?
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-17-2012, 9:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tige21i View Post
Go with Jegs performance 5 gal. cans. Only $20 on the Jegs website. I'm sure you can possibly even find them cheaper somewhere else if you really wanted.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...80211/10002/-1
Thanks Craig, much more reasonably priced!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2012, 10:02 PM Reply   
just grabbed 4 vp racing jugs and 2 pour hoses (THANKS Melvinator) did a quick search for coupons and got another 10% off, free ship...all for 79 bucks delivered---sweet!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-18-2012, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenk View Post
Houston Shark - I mentioned something to you on TO but never heard back? What area of Houston do you ride in?
Sorry Dave, I must have missed it. We have a house on the San Bernard river in Brazoria so most of our riding will be there. We do plan on trying to spend at least a couple weekends at some of the other spots around Houston.

I'm sure we'll hit up Austin at least once and will probably pull the new boat to visit some friends in SE Texas and ride the Sabine and maybe Rayburn if the water level is safe.
Old     (bmr850)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-18-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
5 gallon gas cans + Super Siphon is the way to go. don't break your back holding up gas cans and drains 5 gallons in about 2 min. or less

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-H.../dp/B000ZORJ1E

they also sell them in some Lowes back in the plumbing section
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
I use 5 6 gallon cans (got at walmart 10 years ago) and a shaker (got on amazon 1 year ago) to move 30 gallons into my boat. To protect the sunpad, I place a bin down on the sunpad and I place the gas cans in the bin. I then use the shaker to siphon from the sunpad into the gas tank. Works like a charm. No spills and no gas on my hands.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-21-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
TJ, No worries, I posted under "FINALLY ordered a new RZR " second page. Check out my post there, I try not to have posts going on the same subject on different forums, can be confusing, lol.

You should really check out the shaker syphon, it works great for me. West Marine and I think Bass Pro on 288 has them if you get into the Houston area? I always just set my cans on a towel on the back sun deck the then syphon from there, it works great.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-21-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
Ordered 3 VP jugs from Streetsideauto.com along with 1 fill tube for $55.66 shipped. They have free shipping on purchases over $50 and also have a 10% code SMARTSHOPPER.

Last edited by BlitzedVLX; 02-21-2012 at 1:11 PM.