Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-13-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
I was just browsing LF's website and checking out some of the new additions to their team. They already had the best team in the industry last year, but now they've essentially got the present and future of contest riding sewn up on boat and on cable.

They've got the best of Europe, Australia, America, and Japan. They've got the king of wake and the king of cable plus a ridiculously talented roster of young guns. I'm not sure what it all counts for, but it must be worth their investment because they just keep loading up.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-13-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
guess that is why it is LiquidFORCE
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-13-2011, 10:36 PM Reply   
Word. I wonder if this aspect of their influence on the industry contributes to some of the mistrust/fear of the company as a kind of evil monopoly that's going to take over and abuse the sport. I'm not saying there aren't good reasons for this fear (Kent Sporting Goods, patent lawsuits, etc.), but I think that a lot of the hate for LF has to do with the fact that they're so successful and people love to root for the underdogs.

I saw an old video of Shane talking about how he'd been with Liquid Force for something like 15 years and seen all the good things they'd done for riders like him and the sport in general. He truly believes in their product, and more importantly, in their intentions/vision for the future of wakeboarding. He's one of those guys that pro and amateur riders alike respect and put on a pedestal because, as they see it, he hasn't "sold out." I think it's really impressive that Liquid Force can maintain such a huge following and continue to earn the respect of the biggest up-and-coming names in wakeboarding even after all the heat they've taken.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-14-2011, 8:51 PM Reply   
i wonder what the true percentage of wakeboarders is who know about the whole larger parent company Kent and patent lawsuits and what not. most would not know about it unless they were users of this site and maybe some others like it AND/OR knew a friend who kept up with all the industry goings ons.

Many people (powerturning beginners and recreational riders) make gear decisions based on what is printed on the board; ie: rider name and graphics. I know that is how i determined my first boards... that and price. endorsements sell! heck, i bet wheaties would not have lasted long without M. Jordan plastered on the box.

another hefty chunck of the gear purchasing crowd will buy gear based on performance and could care less what is printed on it.

the remainder of us, few i bet in comparison, base part of our decisions on history and structure of a brand.

There are a TON of admirable things about LF. they are undeniably a major influence if not leader in the industry. But recent events left a bitter taste in my mouth that will be hard to forget, as well as some personal experience when they have come to Powell. but that is my opinion and i will share it that way as a clause at the bottom of my appraisal of admiration. Its kind of a weird stance. Love 'em and will even promote them, but personally hate 'em. all companies have their skeletons, but LF's is still decomposing and smelly to me.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-14-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
Very well said, especially about Wheaties. It's a **** cereal! I definitely fall into that second category of riders. Performance is the end all and be all to me. I loved my LF Harley, but I quickly ditched it as soon as I felt the ride of my Slingshot Recoil. LF will definitely be on my list next time I'm trying out new boards because I've seen what a killer product they put out.