Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-23-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'm confused about life vests required on the boat (California). As I read the regulations you need to have a PFD for each person on board and a throwable. http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Pfd/PFDs.pdf

In the My 2012 MB 21'WB thread someone mentions storage of their Coast Guard vests (I'm assuming the orange ones). Are those required? Based on what I'm reading one is not required to have the orange vests as long as their is a CG Approved type 1, 2 or 3 for each person on board.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-23-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
One CGA vest per person on board. I have a bagged kit that contains 4 cheap orange vest. Counting the CGA ski vest I actually use brings me up to about 7 vests so I'm easily covered if I get stopped. Many people are using comp vest (not CGA) so it's good to keep the orange vest stowed to stay legal.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-23-2011, 1:48 PM Reply   
If you consistantly carry enough CGA vests then the orange ones aren't required. I always have enough for the people on my boat and make sure that anyone has non-CGAs that there enough to cover them too. Consequently I don't have orange vests onboard. The throwable is required regardless.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-23-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
I have two packs of 4 orange vest for a total of 8. I put them in the boat as needed depending on how many people are coming out.
Old     (Paul)      Join Date: May 2011       09-23-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
I got "Safety Checked" at Havasu in June, any CGA vest works, the orange ones aren't required, all that matters it that the vests are CGA approved. I keep 2, 4 packs of orange vests in the boat at all times so that I don't ever have to worry. Also, be sure you have a throwable, I have a friend who got a ticket for not having one.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-23-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
I keep 8 orange, 1 throwable, and any of our jackets used for riding. Always have extra. You may show ip to the sand bar with 4 people, and may leave with 12 =)
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-23-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Thanks - I used to carry 3 orange plus our other CGA approved more stylish vests. Since my wife seems to buy a new vest each month during the season - I have a "clothes" store in my garage now and can outfit like 15 people. I bring enough for each person going with me up to 10 (max on boat). The way I read the rule I am covered. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-23-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
I keep enough jackets for my boat capacity, so I dont ever have to worry about somebody not bringing one. 5 Orange, 12 CGA's, and a few comp vests which dont count towards my total. My throw device gets stuffed in the bag with the orange ones.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-23-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
I know that you have to keep your throwable in an easily accessible location.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-23-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
On this note: i started hanging non rider PFDs on my bow rail to dry and stopped getting pulled for safety inspections.