Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
I got hit in the parking lot of a restaurant Saturday night. No note so I get to pay my $500 deductible. $1500 to reskin the door,replace the steel beam inside the door, paint. I'll have to go back to Seattle to get my rocker panel chip guarded. Just once I'd like to catch somebody doing this.

Upload
Upload
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
bastards
Old     (ashly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-09-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Did you check if there are any outdoor cameras pointed in the rough direction of your truck? Alot of bars/ restaurants have them around here.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
that ish makes me so mad.....I bet it was done by a vehicle worth less than 10% the value of your truck.

(Message edited by phatboypimp on February 09, 2010)
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
Yea, there is was a camera. The police are looking into that. I have the cell # of the restaurant owner, if I don't here from the police by Thursday, I'll call the owner and see if I can look at the camera.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-09-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
You might want to find another body shop and just pay for it out of pocket. Anything under $1200 or so just pay for it. Insurance rates could sky rocket if you get in another accident even if it is not your fault.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-09-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
Brad
I feel your pain. Someone at work must of got pissed due to how close I parked to him, mind you that I was in the space with room on each side. They went and punched the door handle and now I have a big dent on my passenger side door. You can't win driving a big truck.

I agree with Peter, pay for it out of pocket and save your mulligan for a "major" accident, thats what my insurance lady told me.

Go figure I usually ride the motorcycle but we have had so much rain i had to drive the truck a couple days.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-09-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
We dont replace steal reinforcement beams. If the beam is damaged it gets a new shell, if not then a skin. Your actually better off with a shell because most techs dont know how to skin a door properly, and particularly duplicate factory corrosion protection. Not sure where you're located but alot of shops will cover your deduct or cut it in half. Nice truck by the way, I own an 03.

(Message edited by wake upppp on February 09, 2010)
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-09-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
The beam is damaged. New door shell PERIOD!! I'd advise getting another quote. As Sparky mentioned intrusion beams should not to be replaced. Even worse repaired. Thats what protects you in a impact. Im pretty sure they dont even sell intrusion beams so im not sure how they would replace it. Also be careful with the paint. I'd make sure they are gonna blend properly into the fender and rear door. Otherwise youll end up with a taxi cab. Siolver is the worst color to match. Honestly im looking at that door and thinking its more like a $2500 repair.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2010, 7:25 PM Reply   
Richard and Sparky, I think you are right on about the beam. I would rather they replace the whole door, and I am going to look into that. They did say they would blend the paint into the front fender and rear door. All of their work is written lifetime warranty, so I feel comfortable with them doing the work. I have 4 quotes so far and am going to go to a couple of other shops some of my Dodge friends have used.

My insurance company is being really good about it so far. Hopefully they continue to be cool.

On a side note, I was just getting some things out of the garage attic and dropped a plastic tote on my wife's hood. Looks like some more body work in the future. Someone just shoot me already.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-09-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Have you checked into purchasing a used door?

Just make darn sure to rip the vin number off the door if you do that.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-10-2010, 3:12 AM Reply   
I feel your pain. I went into a grocery store last summer. Was in there no more than 20 mins and came out to see driver side rear tail light crunched and bumper scraped.
There was a man sitting in his car parked ( was there the when I went into the store) facing in front of my car and said he never saw anything.

Out of pocket was close to $500. Tail light was replaced by my man. Lucky for me I was rear ended a few weeks ago at a stop light and the rear bumper paint was the only damage, so I get the paint done now on someone else's insurance. My only consolation.
Old     (fingerstick)      Join Date: May 2009       02-10-2010, 4:26 AM Reply   
what gets me is the fat ***es driving a minivan and park so close to you that you have to crawl in from the passenger side.granted I drive a full-size truck,but I do park out at the end and some ding-a-ling still parks beside me.I am always sure to park in side designated lines and some hoochie mama wearing pajamas and rollers in her hair pulls in crooked talking on her blackberry and swings her door into my truck!!!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I live in the land of Dodges and there isn't a used door to be had. If there was one I was quoted $860 and up depending on the options.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-10-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
I would guarantee the quality of that outdoor camera will be so bad you probably won't be able to tell the make of the car that hit you, let alone the license plate #
Old    swass            02-10-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Wow. That blows.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
No luck on the cameras. I finally found a shop that agrees the beam is probably compromised and stated such in their quote. Looks like it will go into the shop Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-10-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
im not body shop guy, but that looks well under a grand to fix. a used door is $500 and paint is $300. if its more then that i think u are getting a little screwed. i dont know the year of your truck but im guessing 05 and up. so i searched for a used driver side door for an 05 dodge quad cab. and they are between 500 and 650. im i missing something here? of and the site i searched for the door is car-part.com
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-10-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
Yep you are definetly not a body shop guy, and I am. To replace that door, new or used, and blend color out both ways, (rear door and fender), remove and install all trim off blend panels, (the correct way to paint if you dont want it to peel later), you're looking at anywhere from 2k to 3k.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-11-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Jae - that sucks. i feel your pain.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
UB, Get the Dodge fixed yet?

Reminds me of my "free oil change" that cost the dealer over 3K. Now that's some expensive oil!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-17-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
It's in the shop now. I should get it back Tomorrow. I'll post up pics when I get it home.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Hope it's like new when you get it back Brad. I took my wife's old Volvo S80 (it was a lease) to a little local shop in Snoqualmie a few years back. Saying that she had a host of bumper knocks and parking lot warfare scares would be kind. For $1000 that car came back like new. Turned it back in and did not get hit with any damage or wear n tear fees (which would have been about $3K when we priced them out).

I had my '04 Ram 1500 get a bunch of work done too (some lady in an old 4dr Saturn) decided she needed to turn against a red light. Her car was totaled and once fixed, the truck was like brand new too. When I sold it all of the repair work was still solid.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-17-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Just an idea... I bought both front and rear doors for my Dodge Quad Cab for $600 total. You might just look at an entire door replacement...
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-17-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Truck is back at home. They only needed to reskin it. Did an excellent job. I will go over it with a fine tooth comb in the morning. It came to just a bit over $1300.

The next person that hits me will get a cure for their lead deficiency.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
"Yep you are definetly not a body shop guy, and I am. To replace that door, new or used, and blend color out both ways, (rear door and fender), remove and install all trim off blend panels, (the correct way to paint if you dont want it to peel later), you're looking at anywhere from 2k to 3k."

Sparky is right. I've worked for insurance and a body shop....I say atleast $2500 off the top of my head.