Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-27-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
friends of mine and my familly are taking a house boat trip to lake mc clure wondering if any body is familliar with this lake . i would like to find a place to park the house boat that is also good for wake boarding. also wondering if the wind is bad we will be there on sep 3 . any help is appreciated
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-27-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Its going to be a pond by then, water is very low right now out there.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-27-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
That sucks. Lake Mc Clure is really neat. When I was there about 3 or 4 years ago it looked about 30 feet below what it is supposed to be. I know that there is a spot right next to a public launch that has tons of house boats scattered. I guess it is almost dried up.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2008, 1:05 AM Reply   
I go up to McClure once every couple of weekends, I will be up there on the 8th of August so I can give u more info about depth, but it is dropping. I was surprised how low it already was the last time I was out there. If you are renting a houseboat, ask the one of the main guys at Barrett's Cove what the water levels are like down the channel. I think that if you make a left out of the marina, and then a right down the channel (you will pass a bunch of moored houseboats on your left at the start of the channel). Once you get through the channel it opens up and you can generally find a nice place to park. We generally go down there when we take about 100 high schoolers on a houseboating trip. My concern is how deep it is, because I have never been there that late in the season. I also don't know all the names of the coves, but the marina can show u on a maps that they have.

The wind generally isn't too bad. There can be a little wind at the crack of dawn, but once the sun gets a little higher, the wind settles right down. If it is that low you better get your riding in early or at dinner time.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-29-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all of your input. We hope the lake isn't too low and we get some nice wake boarding water! I'm sure my family and I will have a nice time. Thanks again...
Old     (wakemann)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-30-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
When are you going?, We tried to go this past weekend and as we past Modesto we smelled and saw the smoke it was pretty bad when we reached the entrance to McClure. The Ranger said that there was a fire that started in Bagby and the smoke was so thick that you could not even see the water at McClure Point. They said that the smoke came in around Thursday. So call ahead if your going this week. We ended up at Modesto Res. tried to stay way but is was the only place clear, BIG MISTAKE, took out my prop, rudder and strut. We camped at McClure the week before and yes the water is low but you can still find good water the water was great.

(Message edited by wakemann on July 30, 2008)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-30-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
We were there all last weekend, my throat is still hoarse from breathing smoke all weekend.

Houseboating is good, head down towards the damm, turn left when you are next to the damm, to end and park just inside or outside the 5mph bouy. That is a good houseboating destination.

Lake is low but most objects are marked. The old damm might be showing by then, watch for the old RR tresles.
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-04-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
MIKESKI

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE OLD RR TRESLES
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2008, 10:52 PM Reply   
He means railroad tressels,

For reference, my buddy went up this weekend and said it was great, no smoke whatsoever. I will give u an update as I will be up there this upcoming weekend.