Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-10-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Okay not really...While in the water, after I got tired and the boat was coming back around to pick me up I noticed the sheriff was lurking about. As my driver picked me up, the sheriff came over to "talk" to us...Oh boy, here we go, I thought.

This guy, was the nicest officer I've encountered on the water. He was genuinely curious about what he was witnessing. We talked him through it pretty well I think. He seemed pretty okay with it. He told us about how he thought the rule was a little vague about how it was written. He seemed to keep referrencing "being under tow" and how the rule wasn't very clear. He was asking how long it would take someone to get up and surf without the rope. We talked pretty good for a bit and again he seemed appreciative of us taking the time to educate him on the sport.

I felt like we had done something good for the sport. I'm sure there have been others that have done the same thing. So good job you. I'm sure we all thank you.
Old    surfdad            07-10-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Props to you AnT! I think that your calm and I'm sure respectful demeanor made all the difference.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-10-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Awesome Ant! Glad to see a sheriff thats willing to have an open mind toward surfing. Definitely a +1 for the community. Hopefully he will share what he learned with his fellow deputies.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
AnT, what lake, in town?
Old     (akamoroti)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-10-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
Those kind of discussions and education will go a long way to keeping the sport legal, good job AnT.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-11-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
What's up Kevin,
Not in town, we were at Bullards Bar for the 4th. It was pretty crowded, but somehow it didn't feel that way on the water too much. It was good times. We don't usually hit the water on the big holidays. Usually the week before or after. Good times none-the-less.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
I have gotten stopped midride twice already this month surfing. They were okay with the activity and knew what we were doing and what an inboard boat was.

They were not at all okay with anyone sitting on the gunwhale (DD boat) or on the top of rear seat or sundeck. The wave sucked after that. They didn't see us start off the teak (standing).

Throughout the day i saw at least 4 other inboards surfing with people (adults and kids) STANDING on the sundeck and swim platform, etc.

At least we were sitting on the sundeck with fet on the platform. Just one or two people do that and we line up 3-4 on the port gunwhale.

Oh and for reference the boat is a 20' 87 Supra Sunsport Direct Drive open bow w/ black monster tower, we use about 600lbs ballast and 4-5 people. Mississippi River north of Twin Cities in Minnesota.