Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (slowjet)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
Wife told me to ask how long should you wait to ride after child birth. Our son is due late May/Early June and she's wanting to ride as soon as she can. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
from what i've heard it will depend on the type of delivery she has (ie natural or caesar). what does she have planned?
Old     (lexirunner)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-03-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
My dr. told me to wait 6 weeks to resume exercise, but I wasn't even ready after 6 weeks. It depends on how well her pregnancy treated her body. Things are much different after pregnancy, but if she was pretty active before and throughout her pregnancy, it should be easier.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-04-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Brandon - If you are asking when you can get back on the water....Nice of you to ask us, but really you should be asking her. Probably depends on how well she is feeling and how well the baby is sleeping.

Now if you are asking about her...yep standard is 6 weeks. This is how my friend Bonnie celebrated the Saturday of her 6th week...(scroll down to see the pictures of her in the water, yes in a drysuit)

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/548240.html?1203884448#POST1095586

And her man was out shortly after the baby was born, not the next day this time because this was baby number 2 and they had their hands fully balancing the kids, but once the schedule kicked in and the water was right, he was out.
Old     (brande)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
I rode a little less than 3 weeks after delivery. My doc pointed out that the discharge instructions say 2-6 weeks and to do what I felt I was up to doing. I was on a treadmill 5 days after each kid so I think I was ok after 3 weeks. I also asked about the risk of infection and he said it was no greater than if I hadn't of recently delivered a baby. But, I will say, after 9 months off, I was dying out there. I had no stamina, no strength. I would go to just jump a bit on the wake and I would end up just sliding over it with no air at all despite feeling like I had giving it all I had. It was still worth it, just to be on the water but it's hard that soon...
Hope this helps!
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-08-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Every woman's body is different, just like every child birth and baby. Even though there's a "standard/norm" that doesn't mean that should be an expectation. Having a child is more important than being concerned about when a person can go back out on the water, etc. As long as you communicate w/your wife, the 2 of you will figure it out. you may have to go w/o her and remember, she just went through 9 months of having a life growing in her, taking her nutrients, etc. and when the baby's born, and if she nurses the baby, that also takes nutrients and energy out of her. She may bounce right back, but be understanding of what she is going through and what her and your baby needs. That's the most important thing...She'll get back out there, just don't push. some women have tougher times than others and that is also normal. This is between you and your family and there is no set schedule when you have a child.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-02-2008, 3:39 AM Reply   
i started running 1 week after my pregnancy, and it was rough!! i know it really depends on her, the only thing i can compare it to as far as recovery time, i was riding 2 weeks after my acl reconstructive surgery. (granted in my immobilizer and i was super careful) doctor told me not to think about riding until at least 6 months had passed but through rigorous rehab, i was able to show him that 3 months was more than enough for getting back into the full swing of things. so all you have are some facts and a lot of statistics. up to her.