Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-03-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I've been seeing commercials for it but haven't seen one out yet. Looks like it has some pretty cool features and is available with a 5.7l engine.
The pics I've seen remind me of a dodge.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
I was impressed with the new Tundra. It should do very well.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-03-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Not in person...

I like the body, don't really care for the dash. I would wait for the disel if I were in the market for one...
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-03-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
buy american..........ford f 250 powerstoke or gas.............dodge hemi 2500.......or cummins.......
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-03-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
saw it at the boston show. I own a chev 2500 and that thing might make me switch. Look out ford and chevy. it's big, and the gas mileage is supposed to be outstanding, but they have not released the actual mpg's yet. it's dressed up and with a nice package on it the chrome really stands out.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-03-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
I did an Hd truck owners survey a couple of weeks ago for a marketing co.. Since I own a Dodge 2500 Megacab diesel I figured it was for dodge. They paid 135 cash for 1 hr 45 min of showing off the new Chevy Silverado HD with the duramax........This is a supercab dually that they compared to the new Toyota.....I was like WTF? At least compare to something comparable....The Toyota looked good but we didn't see any pics of the engine or inside. The Chevy on the other hand looked like a boxcar with wheels. Had bumpers like the old 57' Chevy.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-03-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
Yeah, I looked at the new Tundra's at the Houston auto show last weekend and they look great, it will be my next truck for sure!! The problem with buying american is that after 3 years they are worthless as wet toilet paper (IMO). I have seen it numerous times with my family and friends chevy's, ford's, Dodge's trucks...money pits, I have owned 3 Toyota's over the last 15 years and have never been left stranded and never had any repair bill more than $500 from the dealer, currently have a 99 Tacoma 4x4 with the V6, nearly 200K and still running like new as well as looks new....Sorry fellas but my money is on Toyota, and hey the Tacomas are made in California and the Tundras are made in Texas, so I feel like I'm supporting american workers!

Not meaning to start a truck war here, It's just been my experience and 2 cents with Toyota!!
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       02-03-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
I am with you Steve. I had a 96 Tacoma and now an 01 Tundra. The Tacoma was flawless and the Tundra even better. The Tundra is the best vehicle I have ever owned. A friend of mine is a mechanic and a Chevy guy. I sometimes take my truck to him when I need minor maintenance stuff done like alignments, etc. He always gives me grief but he did tell me that he was impressed with how well the truck is built. He called me one time to tell me to come over to the shop and take a look at a double cab Tundra that had been bought in wrecked and was going to be totaled. (they also do body work at his shop) He was giving me crap because the Tundra had rear ended or t-boned someone and the front end was trashed. He was saying "Look at how your Toyota holds up in a crash!" I walked over to the drivers door and opened it up. I said "Yeah but look inside" The front of the truck was demolished but sitting inside you couldn't tell the truck had anything wrong with it...absolutely no intrusion into the cabin. They are not only very dependable but really safe as well.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2007, 4:37 AM Reply   
Those of you who think you are buying 'american' need to track down where all those parts that comprise your truck were made. Sorry folks, it ain't american anymore. On top of that, the business practices of companies like Ford and GM stink.

That being said... I have an '04 Ram... ;) I'll buy a Tundra next time, but that'll be a while.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
ANY TOYOTA REPS READING THIS Toyota Truck was to sponsor the 2006 NWL National Championship - I hung thier banners, gave them top display, and helped transport display but stuck us on the needed sponsorship money.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-04-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
I own a Ford F150 right now. I will never again buy a domestic. After 160 km, the truck is worth nothing, and breaks down constantly.

I'll go with a Tacoma or a Titan next time, or even a Ridgeline. Heck, I've got a small boat anyway.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-04-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, I love how all the guys who own a Ford, Dodge and Chevy all say that they bought American. And as stated above, your so called American trucks aren't even made here! While all the Toyota Tacomas and Tundras, and the Nissan Frontiers and Titans are made here in the U.S. In fact, Nissan built a new plant to build the Titan and Toyota built a new plant in Texas to build the all new Tundra. And don't forget Honda, who produces alot of their vehicles here as well. Then on top of that, Honda has moved operations (Don't know how much of their operations) to the U.S.! So who's investing money into the American market? Who's employing American labor?!? Not your so-called American Companies! Now some could argue that the porfits of these companies go back to Japan. True, but the majority of the money from the sale of a vehicle goes into the production and building of that vehicle which happens right here in the U.S. The profits from a vehicle is the smallest of all the costs of that vehicle. And as those companies keep moving more and more of their operations to the U.S., more and more of those profits will stay here as well. And to top it off, remember that Dodge is NOT American owned anymore. It's owned by Mercedes, a German Company.

Sorry, had to clarify the above.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-04-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
do some research and look at the real dollar figures that are spent in this country by GM and Ford. Then look at the money spent by Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. You'll see that their spending is chump change here compared to GM and Ford. The only reason they build their factories here is because from a business aspect it makes more sense than shipping them from Japan and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy that your Toyota was built in Texas. Check the numbers and then spout off some BS about how they build plants here and are contributing so much. It's nice marketing from the japanese but it's just not true
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-04-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Not true? Everything I stated are facts. Sure GM and Ford spend money here, they're based here. But as you will see, GM and Ford are moving more and more of their factory jobs OUT of the US. In fact, Ford just recently closed down two more plants. And how do you know how much money GM and Ford spend here compared to the others? Is there a report that will tell us these numbers? I'd love to see them from a pure educational standpoint.

And as for why Toyota, Nissan and Honda build their cars here, I agree that it's great marketing. It makes sense from a shipping standpoint and the American public loves it. Why wouldn't we love it? They're spending money here and bringing jobs here unlike the other two you mentioned who are moving more and more jobs OUT of the US.

Don't know how you're looking at this, but from what I can see the Japanese automakers are winning over the auto industry here in America through quality, innovation, customer service and Jobs. Four things the other two you mentioned are lacking in with the last one getting smaller and smaller each year.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when one of the big 3 here do well. But it's tough to stand behind them when they aren't doing anything right and the Japanese automakers are doing everything right. I would love to see GM come out with a truck that just rocks the industry, but they won't and/or can't. The Nissan Titan ate the lunch of the big 3's 1/2 trucks and now the Tundra will do the same. The Big 3 have always had the full size truck market locked up, but now the top two 1/2 trucks on the market are Japanese......the winds of change are a blowin...
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-04-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
I'm trying to dig up the $ figures for you now, I know I have them at work so it might have to wait till monday.
I don't know where you are coming up with the Titan eating the lunch of the big 3's 1500s? Is that personal opinion because it certainly isn't backed up by sales figures.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I used to have an '02 Tundra and loved it but needed something heavier duty for work.. I can't wait for the new one to come out.
From what I've heard, it will be a while before a diesel comes out though..
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-04-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
2007 Houston new car show. I took them just for you guy's. I wonder if the person who left the beer stole the shift knob?????
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-04-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
it's a POS
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-04-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
Spoken like a 16 year old.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-04-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
I'm selling my F-150 and buying my dads 05 F-250. i heard about the new tundra's a couple weeks ago and was really thinking about ordering one of those but i think i'm just going to stick with the F-250. he's giving me a super good deal on it and i would be stupid not to buy it for the price. my next truck after the F-250 will be a new Tundra. i figure that i'll let them work out all the bugs on that new 5.7 before i buy mine.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-04-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
if the fuel milage is anything like the currant Tundra it sucks! The reason for building the truck here comes down to the UAW (United Auto Workers union). Way back when their was a clause signed that if asian mfg were going to build full size trucks and sell them here in the states they would have to do it here in the US.
Going back to where your truck is built, both Ford and GM full size are made here. Any Vin that starts in the #1 means the us, #2 canada, #3 Mexico, #5 Brizal.
Every else besides north & south america start with a letter.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-04-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Fuel mileage is rated at 14/18 ...could be a nice truck. Better effort than previous trucks they have built.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-04-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics from the car show.

Ahah, who steals a shift knob? Honestly... funny though
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-04-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^
Normally taken off so they don't get stolen
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Has anyone heard anything on pricing for the crewmax?
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2007, 11:17 PM Reply   
Aaron, thx for posting the pics..
what did you think of the truck?
Old     (theoneandonly)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
looks kinda like a doge front end to me
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2007, 4:52 AM Reply   
I'm not a fan of import full size trk's but it was impressive. I thought it looked like a dodge in the front.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Not a fan of the grille. Looks like a honda pilot or a sequoia. Also for a truck of that size, it looks odd with such small headlights. I would much rather roll in this even though I own a lightning. It's still a concept but word is, supercharged 5.7, 581 hp around $40gs. Is Ford listening?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-05-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
That Concept is Mean!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-05-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
The dash is a little funky looking. Maybe it will look better in person. I am not really fond of the front end either. I also usually think of the Japanese market as being more fuel efficient. In looking over the Sequoia and the Armada, I don't think they are really significantly more efficient than the US counterparts.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-05-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think it looks good, but I would wait at least one model year before purchasing. They just had that massive recall on some vehicles. Cost for a loaded crew cab will probably be similar to that of the Chev and Ford, but will resale be the same? You get better rates and incentives on the domestic rigs with similar resale values and the reliability with the big 3 has gotten better. Why buy a toyota for $3-5k more, but take that hit if you go to sell after a few years?

Again, I think its a great truck, I just don't know if I would buy right away. I would wait to see how they do and get some feedback from people towing with them for awhile to see how it really performs. The Titan was thought to be a huge deal when it came out, but sales have been weak, even though its got a great motor. Who knows...........I say just buy what you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Just my .02...
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Titans are also notorious for the rear differentials going out. The hp and fuel efficiency is almost equal to an F150. Driving a titan, after driving a lariat or fx4 f150 makes it feel like a cheap copy. I have owned 4 f150's, a powerstroke, duramax, and a titan. I've driven the tundra 4.7 but it never really appealed to me. Out of all those, the f150 is the most pleasurable to drive.

(Message edited by damned04 on February 05, 2007)
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-05-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
Man those are some ugly trucks. Dont know who approves these designs. Must be a blind monkey.
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-05-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
SUPER UGLY........
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-05-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
I would have to disagree that the resale on the big 3 is the same or better than the resale value on a Japanese vehicle. Import vehicles, although alot are produced here, have significantly higher resale value than the Big 3.

Some Titans did have a rear end issue. Dana makes the rearends for the Titans, as well as most of the manufacturers, and it's the Dana 44 that has been failing. And the numbers on the Titan have been weak due to higher gas prices. All the truck manufacturers have been hit in this area. And I wouldn't say the HP is the same between the Titan and the Ford F150's. Personal opinion here, but drive both and you will see what I mean. The F150 is a slug compared to the Titan.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
I agree, the titan def has a lot more low end torque STOCK. On my supercrew, I had the following mods: K&N intake, magnaflow catback, superchips tuner. It really woke the truck up and would blow the doors off any hemi or silverado. I wanted something smaller, and lighter so I traded it in for a lightning and reduced my payments. I can pull the boat out of the lake with no wheel spin and it tows just as well as the supercrew did. The only thing I miss on the supercrew was the trip computer and 4x4.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
"blow the doors off any hemi or silverado"
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-06-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
I think a huge difference between the Titan and the F150 is the transmission. The 5 speed in the Titan makes a huge difference over the 4 in the F-150 I think. At first I wasn't a big fan of the Titan and chose the F150 personally, but then bought an Acura TSX as I wasn't pulling a boat anymore and wanted gas mileage. Now going back to a truck and being in my dad's Titan a lot, my next purchase has come down to the Titan, an Armada, or the new Avalanche. This Toyota might make that list before I buy in the summer.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-06-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
IMO the new GMC/Silverado can't be touched!

Most towing and payload,best fuel economy and the new frame makes the bed of the truck really close to the cab b/c of it's really stiff frame.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
I agree Bid Ed, I think the GM trucks and Dodge trucks are superior the ford 1/2 tons in every way including value.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
I looked inside the Tundra today at the STL boat show. Very impressed with the inside. Liked the seat quality on the Limited a lot better than the Avalanche I test drove last week. Probably going to try to test drive one tomorrow. I really like the inside of the truck except for the guage cluster and the surrounding area, but can't say as much about the exterior. I do like the backup camera monitor, looks pretty cool and you don't have to have the Nav package. They look pretty competitive as well, $42k seems pretty much in line with everyone else for a loaded crew. I do like the new Silverado/Sierra's on the 20" rims though.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
That is a UGLY TRUCK
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
42k is that for a diesel?

I got my GMC for 28k and loaded to the gills was 36k....diesel was 46k loaded.Talking all crew cabs.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
in 2005
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
$42K?? Yikes. I am sure that is sticker and you could probably get out the door for significantly less.

I am curious to know if folks are that hot to buy a new full size pickup from a good company, but one that has never built one before. Toyota is amazing at building cars and med size trucks & SUV's. I just don't see how people are so hot to get these new trucks from companies that have no history in this market.

My 06 F-250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 with leather and all the trimmings was 42.5k.

(Message edited by Flux on February 08, 2007)
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Nissan did a great job after never really building a full size truck.

I don't know about GM, but I do remember when I bought my Ford that sticker on it was $40k plus. I'm sure you will be able to get it discounted, though I doubt Toyota will have to be offering Employee pricing right off!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-08-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
flux, toyota has been on truck racing scene for several years and are making their debut in NASCAR this year. An they've been building SUVs for a long time. their experience should transfer over to their trucks.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
It's just a thought Nacho. I know Toyota is very capable and I have been a big fan of the older FJ's, landcruisers, and their mid size pickups were second to none. I really like the new FJ, and the GF and I discussed it as an option for her when she get's a new ride, very nice vehicle built on a great power train.

I prefer Ford trucks as I have had good experiences with them. They are also everywhere I look around these parts, which says alot for the dealerships and reliability. I try to buy as many American made (assembled LOL) goods as I can, that's my personal stance.

Whatever the case, I hope that the new Tundra is a very good truck, competition is what keeps things going in the right direction.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Fords were A LOT more then GM when I was looking.They were approx 7k more in SoCal/SFV
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
All I know is the Avalanche LTZ I just tested stickered at $47k, so GM isn't exactly getting off cheap. Are we talking '07 GM pricing, or the pricing on the outdated '06 models? Ford does sticker higher, though I got about $10k off sticker when I bought my '04 in December of '04. I know the market is competitive, my dad got a nicely equipped Titan SE Crew 4x4 for $26k.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-08-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
flux have you driven an FJ yet? that thing has power. I'm afraid If i go drive one, i'll be talking about trading up. I keep telling myself "16 more months" until i have no car payment. we'll see if i make it. If they would stop bringing out new models, it would help.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
No, and exactly for the same reason. The GF drove a cadillac something or other, the base model, completely stripped, then drove the model with the options and liked it alot. I just did not think we needed a 5000 dollar navigation system.

She likes the FJ and I would like her to get one when it's time, very nice vehicle built on a very good power train.

The new Tundra looks nice and is right on par or slightly better in power than say an F150. Probably will be a decent vehicle knowing Toyota.

Toyota will impress me when they take it upon themselves to start putting Diesels in their trucks and wade through all the emissions crap that Ford, Dodge, and GMC have to go through to keep Americans in nice Diesel trucks for work and hauling our toys around. Still not in the same league with the US heavy duty big block engines like the V-10. Word is that they will eventually do this. But it will cost them money to train the service guys and warranty all those parts that get gummed up by the EGR valves and now the particulate filters, and most importantly, the truck that drives 2 mile intervals and never gets to operating temp.

It is my hope that the next move in Diesels after the ULSD and lower emissions is the move toward biodiesel blends, mandated by our government, so we can grow some of our own fuel right here and lessen the dependency.

I digress, the Tundra looks nice, competition is good for everyone. Looks like it might have that extra power kick that boat haulers might enjoy without having to buy a luxury heavy duty work truck that needs lots of maintenance.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
Flux- I agree with most of your statements. You definitely give Toyota props for building quality vehicles. However, the new Tundra doesn't have slightly more power than the F-150, it has alot more power. That new 5.7 litre engine puts the smack down on the Titan and the Titan walks all over the F-150 power wise.

Also, Toyota already builds diesel engines and have been since their inception. They don't build trucks like the ones we are talking about or what we all drive, they build cab-over trucks with diesels. Has anyone ever heard of Hino? That's Toyota! Now I'm sure there are different kinds of emissions laws for passenger trucks compared to industrial cab-over trucks, but the point is is that Toyota knows diesels and they navigate the diesel emission laws just like the Big 3 do. I did hear that Toyota has halted R&D on a diesel for a 3/4 and 1 ton truck. Now this is only hearsay and something tells me that Toyota is still working on it. Toyota is always very hush hush on new products and it sounds like word was getting out so they put it out there that they stopped. Nissan on the other hand is still designing their 3/4 ton diesel truck which is due out for the 2009 model year. Most likely both Toyota and Nissan have waited on diesel trucks due to the new laws that are being imposed on diesel engines and fuels.

This new Tundra is a force to be reckoned with. Anyone who thinks that it is going to be a failure is kidding themselves. When Toyota wants to enter a new market, they do it with authority. And this new Tundra is the enforcer!!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
You're forgetting the fact that it looks like a woman's truck.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
The Big 3 are going to get schooled by a woman then!!
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
driving a jap truck is like burning the flag. DONT DO IT. I have had Fords and Chevys all my life. I abuse them and they keep going. What more do I need? They make the jap truck in my home state of Texas but all of the profit goes right back to Tokyo. Bring that woman truck on but do not dare stick an American Flag on it.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
so wakepro, how do you feel about the subject?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
I have an American Flag on my Nissan Titan. And I'm about one of the most die hard Americans you will find.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Nick, was I too straight fwd? I know Americans are employed by Toyota but come on people, have a spine. The Ford F150 and the Chevy Silverado are the two best selling vehicles in the USA. The Camary is next. The media always tell us the Camary is the best selling CAR, which is true but it sells 1/2 as many as F150 or Silverado. American trucks and SUVs ROCK BABY
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Kraig, not questioning your patriotism but driving a Nissan and saying you are "one of the most die hard Americans you will find" seems like contradiction in terms in my opinion.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
The Titans and the Tundras are made in the US. Fords and Chevy's are made in Mexico and Canada. So much for American made.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
WakePro- Good luck finding a vehicle that is made totally in America. It's a global economy now with parts made all over the world. Look at where the computer you are using right now was made. It could have been assembled here, however most likely not, but all the parts come from other parts of the world. Does that make you Un-American? Fords and Chevy's aren't even assembled here anymore. Or at least very few of them and it's getting less and less everyday.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
Kraig, very good points. It comes down to where the company you buy from is registered. Ford, Dell, Tige', Hyperlite are all American companies. They sell and manufacture world wide but all of their profit comes back to Detroit, Austin, Abilene, and Orlando. In addition, the majority of their workforce is domestic so US based companies contribute more in jobs, taxes, and GNP to America}.
Old     (water_647b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
I have seen a couple at some local dealers. Still growing on me.
Old     (mrt111)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
http://www.nj.com/business/times/index.ssf?/base/business-1/117039302029290.xml&coll=5

Just the facts, no opinion needed... after all most opinions are ignorant !
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
Unions, UAW, are where the gap spreads. I think competition is great, after all, it has made Detroit produce better cars. Ford and GM have to pay higher Union wages and health care. Toyota, BMW, Honda, Nissan etc do not and so profitability decreases. Add to this the pressures of competition, and the US automakers are behind the 8 ball. Read this.
http://influencepeddler.blogspot.com/2007/01/unions-killing-detroit-auto-industry.html
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
Good info WakePro. I've seen other reports similar to that one and I agree that the UAW is a contributing factor to why the Big 3 are reporting losses. However, the problems with the big 3 aren't only because of the UAW. The Big 3 need to produce vehicles the ameican public wants and with the quality the ameican public demands. We keep seeing the Japanese automakers producing cars that last and that are engineered better. If any of the Big 3 can produce a vehicle of the same quality of the Japanese automakers then I would consider buying a Big 3 vehicle.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Kraig, I agree and that is why I drive the best vehicle in it's class. A Ford F 150. The American public likes it or Ford would not sell 750k of them a year. 183, 000 miles and nothing but brakes and tires is what I am currently experiencing with my Ford.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2007, 10:52 PM Reply   
Wakepro... The profit does not go to the country of origin, it goes to the shareholders. You are free to buy equities in GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, whatever. By the way, my Silverado is made in Canada.... whopti doo. I think what matters most is parts content and where a vhicle is assembled, but what do I know I am not an Econ expert, just an Econ student.

And don’t worry, when Ford goes Bankrupt, they will dump the UAW contracts and probably emerge as a profitable company shortly after while building better cars and trucks than ever before! I am not hoping for this scenario, I am just trying to imply that this argument is silly.
Old     (newtige20v)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-09-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
Attila, good points on parts content and shareholders. Profit, even for pulic comapnies, is booked in the country, and state where headquarters are claimed. Share holder get dividens from NET PROFIT which is earnings minus taxes. Uncle Sam gets their share before the shareholders so technically Ford and GM contribute more local and federal dollars in the way of taxes than the rice rocket builders.

I agree, when Ford and GM shed the UAW, they will become much more profitable. The point is that they are not loosing money because their cars and trucks are low quality, I think American cars and trucks are as good if not better than foriegn cars. They made a deal with the devil in 70's by way of Unions. It always amazes me that a Union would rather see a company go under, knowing their members will be jobless, than negotiate a fair deal for both sides.

I drive a Chevy and it has been bullet proof. No need to switch just because Toyota decided to get into the truck market.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Wake pro, "jap truck"??
How do you know when someone's a RED NECK!!!!
when they say "Jap truck"!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
I read a couple reviews on the truck, most think it to be pretty nice. One stated that the truck was designed in the US, and the motor and tranny are built here. Pretty interesting stuff.

Some of the downsides were it's pricing, but I guess they are targeting a certain audience on this one. This is to be their heavy duty truck, but not in the same league as the Dodge, GMC, or Ford heavy duty trucks.

Good stuff though, and I like the American made powertrain.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
I think this is good for everybody. We should all be able to admit that Toyota makes a hell of a product.

Excluding the Nissan Titan, the big 3 have had zero competition in this market. This will make Ford, Dodge, and Chevy step it up a little bit.

Competition only benefits one person....The Consumer!

I do drive American though (for now)

Upload
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
Had three of them pass me the other night pulling 24' traliers.I was running 75 and they past me on a big hill. Talked to them at a gas station said they where pulling 10500.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
Tom, sorry to to offend your PC side with the Jap truck comment but the fact is Toyota is Japanese and the abreviated term for Japanese is Jap and it is a truck, hence Jap truck. FYI I am no redneck, I am a mexican.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-09-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
10,500 ibs!?! Thats A LOT of weight for a 1/2 ton pickup!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-09-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
went to the dealer yesterday, the CREWMAX is not in yet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-09-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
newtige20, yea its amazing to me how the unions (for several years now) keep 'biting the hand the feeds them'. Do they think Toyota will employ them after they sink US makers?

Unions were created for a reason. But these days, we have laws that protect the labor force from malpractices of the 20/30's. In todays competitive environment, I don't see a need for unions. If GM/F don't survive this, you can safely say it was due to their union contracts
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-09-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
I just looked at one at the dealership. I really liked it. Everything about the truck looked american other than the toyota emblem. The one that I saw was a crew cab and the sticker was 38k.