Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-29-2017, 3:56 AM Reply   
Hey all I am new to the world of wake and I have some, Im sure, very basic questions that I would love to have some guidance on. first off, I am as of now just the driver and, I have an 11 year old son and his friends, who are pretty athletic and pick stuff up fast, who will be the riders. We have a jet ski and a bass boat that we can use to pull with so question# 1 is, just for the sake of getting up the easiest, which tow would be best? I have added a ski pylon to the boat and it has the rope tie about 6" above the outboard where as the jet ski has only the factory pull that is just under the seat. thanks
Old     (tyrip)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-29-2017, 5:06 AM Reply   
I am also reasonably new, but I would say the bass boat. The higher tow point, coupled with a larger boat will likely be more comfortable. Most new riders tend to start out inside the wake until they feel more stable and then venture outside the wake, so the larger boat wake may make them feel a bit more comfortable, and also the boat won't get pulled around as easily as a ski if they cut hard outside the wake.

In addition, your son's friends can be inside the boat and can watch and pick things up as they're happening since the boat has space for them to ride along.

Have fun!
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-29-2017, 5:21 AM Reply   
thanks for your input. hope to video the way it goes down.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-29-2017, 7:41 AM Reply   
I second the boat for the community aspect and ease of driving.

Have they gotten up before?
Old     (BOOMSMACK)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-29-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
Definitely use the boat. More space for passengers, higher tow point, more power for more consistant pull.
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-29-2017, 8:57 AM Reply   
they have not tried it yet. just got the board and tow rope. we have been all over youtube getting as many pointers as we can on getting up. We live 10 minutes from the Ohio River but it has been tore up for two weeks solid. We are heading to a lake about 40 minutes away tomorrow. The reason I was thinking about the jet ski was that I thought pick ups after falling would be quicker and easier. Thanks for all of the responses.
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-29-2017, 8:59 AM Reply   
I have a question on board set up. should I start a new thread or post it here?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-29-2017, 10:45 AM Reply   
Feet should be approximately shoulder width apart with your feet slightly ducked (basically how you normally stand in an athletic pose).

Have you checked out http://wakeworld.com/news/feature/fr...powerturn.html ? some good pickup info if you're new.

When you're trying if the boys are falling forwards they're just standing up too fast. I always tell people to stay in a ball/tucked until the boat is more up to speed. Don't hammer it too hard off the start, nice controlled gentle starts are helpful.

If the rope is getting ripped out of their hands advise them to keep their arms out straight, stay tucked, and not to push with their legs.

The idea of getting up on a wakeboard is no different than helping someone sitting off the floor, the person extends a straight arm to you, you pull, they roll onto their feet, and only when their feet are underneath them and their bum off the ground do they stand up.

Good luck and have fun!
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-29-2017, 11:39 AM Reply   
perfect! Thanks so much
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-29-2017, 7:04 PM Reply   
Ha I was going to post something about powerturns, but not needed anymore. Thanks eternalshadow
Enjoy Les, I hope the kids have the best day of their lives!
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-30-2017, 5:05 PM Reply   
Ok so we made it out and the boys both were able to get up however were unable to ride more then 100yds. my guess is that I need to work on the boat set up for one. Im running a 25 Raker on a 175 motor and I don't think I can go slow enough. When I get them up the slowest I can go is low 20s. I am going to look into a 4 blade somewhere around 19 pitch to see if I can hold the boat with higher rpms, slower speed and the boat up not plowing. Does this sound correct and any ideas are welcome. I think we are off just not yet running.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-30-2017, 6:56 PM Reply   
Glad to hear they got up!

For beginners I pull between 12-20 mph (depending on how beginner). There's times that I'm not completely on plane with beginners. My advanced riders don't go faster than 24 mph.

Any chance you have any photo's or video of them once they're up? Biggest things I correct are handle placement (hold it around the belly button), bum/hip placement (if the rider is sticking their butt out and bent over I get them to push their hips forward towards the handle so they can stand tall with their shoulders back), and head orientation (look up towards the boat and not down at the water).

If they're getting up you can always go to the sea doo for awhile. As for the boat I don't know anything about bass boats aside from their shallow and designed to haul. Rode plenty of outboards and inboard outboards as a kid with 19 and 17 pitches.
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-31-2017, 4:49 AM Reply   
I do have a video. but Im not sure how to post it.
Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-31-2017, 5:08 AM Reply   
I think I may have figured it out. Let me know if it does not open.http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images

Old     (weimerian)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-31-2017, 5:31 AM Reply   
nope that didn't work. I compressed the video but am still coming up invalid file. I have emailed it to a friend that was able to open it. Any ideas?