Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-13-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
Its time again to get the summer started in East Texas. Been out twice already and the water temp is still 64-66. Just being back on the water is a blessing. Last year at this time we were 12 feet low and had to push the boats off the trailer and walk it out 50 yards.
Attached Images

Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       04-13-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Looks like most of the east Texas lakes are doing good. Heck I think Lake O the Pines is 6' above full pool currently.

Just hope we get some more water down my way (Lake Whitney). It's usable for us but it's still 9' low and my cove looks sad.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-13-2015, 5:31 PM Reply   
We are still 6.5 feet low on tawokoni. We need more rain or it will be back to 12 low by end of summer. Whitney is pretty deep isn't it? I have been there a few times But I think it was close to full. Further east of me all the lakes are over full from what I hear. We were going to Tyler last year when our lake was dry and it was full April of 14.
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-13-2015, 6:46 PM Reply   
Season started here in Indy yesterday...water was about 55...and really brown!
Attached Images

Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-14-2015, 5:32 AM Reply   
Dustin, is that Morse? Glad to hear the water is starting to warm up; I actually figured it was still colder yet.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-14-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
Our lake, Pat Mayse, is overflowing the dam for the first time in three years.

We hope to get out in a couple of weeks. Kids soccer games are limiting us getting out now. The water temps are still too cold for me, but not for the kids. I think they are around 70 now.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2015, 7:10 AM Reply   
Ice is finally off for us... happened to destroy a dock in the process.

Water is now +50* (barely) .... so hopefully be able to be on the water semi-comfortably by May.

Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       04-14-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
Whitney is 108' at it's deepest and the river channel is fairly deep throughout the lake. The Bluffs right outside our cove are about 70-80 feet deep and the cove itself isn't terrible. The concrete ramp is completely out of the water at current level but we have decent gravel banks that can be used if you have 4x4. The worst year I can remember was 16' low and we were still using the jet skis. We didn't have a ski boat that year but my boss and his wife still used their Moomba launching from the only usable ramp across the lake.

I use this: http://www.waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide

If we get to about 5-6' low before the summer really hits I'll be happy but I'm not holding my breath.
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-14-2015, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini88 View Post
Dustin, is that Morse? Glad to hear the water is starting to warm up; I actually figured it was still colder yet.
nah, Raccoon state park out west of indy.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-14-2015, 6:52 PM Reply   
How far west? Never heard of it. Used to spend some time out on Geist and Morse.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2015, 5:53 AM Reply   
64-66 WT is trunkin' temps here....
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-15-2015, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini88 View Post
How far west? Never heard of it. Used to spend some time out on Geist and Morse.
Like almost Illinois west, straight west from indy on us 36 (rockville rd)
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-16-2015, 4:00 PM Reply   
Was at our place today at Cedar Creek, %100 full right now.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-16-2015, 4:01 PM Reply   
Never mind the straps in the boat life, we just bought this place at the end of last summer and are in the planning phase of a new house and new boat house. Going to use mooring whips this summer on the old dock.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-17-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
I plan on making a trip to Cedar Creek this year now that it has water. I was out there about 2 years ago and it was a little sketchy on water depth. We were looking at lake homes out there but decided to stay on our home lake. Alot of nice places to be had on Cedar Creek.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2015, 2:23 PM Reply   
We love it out there. It's so close to Dallas but far enough to call it a getaway. Real estate is still affordable too.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2015, 12:49 PM Reply   
Look at all you with your warm water. We started around the same time, early April, and were in low-mid 40s for water. We just now started to hit high 40s, almost to the 50s recently with the weather hitting the 60s and 70s lately.
I would love water temps in the 60-70s almost any time of year, that's bath water right there.
I hear you on the soccer games. My wife wants to put our son in soccer again for their summer program, but all I'm thinking is how much more that will cut into time on the water.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       04-21-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
Sounds like I'm lucky as Joe Pool has been staying around the 100% mark for a while now. We only got down a couple of feet last year since we don't really feed anyone else below us. But it sucked on the weekends usually because the lake was packed since every other lake in the area was so damn low. We've gotten so much rain lately that I think we may be over the flood line by a couple of feet right now.

As for Lake Whitney, I'm gonna try and make a trip down there this season, never been before. Trey what's a good ramp to use coming down from the northeast? I'll be coming in from Mansfield through Cleburne and would ideally like to use a ramp that is actually in the water and not have to launch from a gravel or dirt bank.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-21-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
Last time we went to Whitney we stayed at the state park and used there ramp. The ramp was nice but super steep. This was a few years ago so im not sure if they put any new ramps or remodeled the old ones. Tawakoni received a good amount of rain this past weekend and we are now 5.95 feet low. Best i have seen in 5 years. All the ramps are open and pretty easy to use. It was an ocean this past weekend and a fishing boat capsized. Bad day on the water for sure. We don't go to Joe Pool because that lake is way over populated and trying to find a place to ride can be tricky.
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       04-21-2015, 1:01 PM Reply   
Whitney:

McCown Valley Ramp is usually good from full pool on down... It was actually still open when we were 16' down and I think was the only public ramp still functioning... Like the State Park Ramp Chase Mentioned it is also pretty steep. In all honesty i don't know much about the ramps around the lake other than what I hear from folks on the interwebz... I've used our same "ramp" for the last 23 years except for a few random outings to McCown. The ramp by the Dam looks nice from the water but it gets shallow before you get all the way into the ramp and dock area. I think it's closed at the current lake levels.

If you see a camo tahoe pulling a couple polaris jet fleas or an older white/ dark blue Air Nautique, wave!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-21-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Ice is finally off for us... happened to destroy a dock in the process.

Water is now +50* (barely) .... so hopefully be able to be on the water semi-comfortably by May.

you guys don't pull your docks for winter??