Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
I am currently surfing behing my 08 vlx. full left ballast, full center ballast, 750lb sack in left locker, 450 on side seat and 450 in bow on left side.
So basically the wave is HUGE.

I am 6'4" 250lbs

I am riding a landlock 5'11"

great board to get up on, but really sluggish. I was reading on another post that I need to find a faster board.

I feel very comfortable, but just when I think I got it, I throw the rope in and then after 15 secs, I just drift back from the wave.

Cost is not an issue, I just want something good, that I will be able to stay with, and progress. My only problem is my weight.

So, what recomendations do you have on a new board?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
I have ridden a few different boards but mainly Inland Surfer's (Red, Blue and Yellow). I am still a novice and working on 360's, but I really like the Yellow. I’m 6'1 250 and I surf it fine. The yellow is fast turns well, an overall fun board especially if you have a large wave. If you just want to cruise go for the Red Tide or the Blue Lake but I guarantee you will not want to stop there. I'm sure there are plenty of other boards that will work for you but I don’t have any experience with many of the others. The ones I tried sucked and were dogs in the water and had the same issue with keeping up. Its mainly a weight and buoyancy issue I think. If you and I dropped about 40 pounds our options open up big time. Have fun!
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-25-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I had the same experience with the landlock. I'm about 250 also. Our wake probably isn't as big as Kevin's. I like the Red Tide. I can surf the yellow but have to stay right in the sweet spot, so the Red is more fun for me since it gives me room to move around on the wave. If we had a bigger wave I would probably like the Yellow more. I would like to try a Blue.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
We havent sac'd out the boat yet but the new sac just came in so this summer we will get the Wakecraft dialed. But ya if we dont bring any extra ballast I too need to live around the pocket when riding the Yellow. Red's fun for clowning around and giving the kids a ride. I think an elephant can even ride on it...not sure though.
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-25-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Kevin - what are you thoughts on the Blue vs the Red. Is it a happy medium between the red and yellow?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-25-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Abe,
Have you tried keeping more weight on your front foot? Sometimes when new surfers throw the rope they shift their weight to their back a foot and it causes them to loose the wave. We tell people to just drop the rope and we pull it in until they get the hang of it. Also focus your eyes on the back corner of the boat to help you stay in the wave. These tips should help no matter what board you ride.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-25-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
here is my first ride with no rope we have a dd w/ 750 in the back left corner and 2 in the boat. I'm 6'3 and 215 on a red tide watchhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7vCW5N65do
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Daren when I rode the Blue it rode a little different but I think its because its not as wide as the other two I have. I guess you could say its a happy medium. The biggest difference is going from Red to Yellow that was night and day. I still think that if you go Blue you will eventually get use to that and want to get something even more fun to ride. The deal is though if you usually ride with lighter folks and you want to always have an "all purpose" board you may want to get the Blue since the Red is much more difficult for them to flip up on starts. Hope this helps, I only rode the blue lake a few times behind a friends Pro-V an never behind my own boat.
Old     (cromulius)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-26-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
Hey mispella I pretty much have that same boat and when I only have a driver and spotter I fill the fat seat all the way 1200lbs then two port side 440's and the wave gets decent and can ride as long as I want on a liquid force 5' I am 6'3 220. Throw some more weight in that puppy cause it gets better.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2008, 5:22 AM Reply   
loaded her up this weekend huge difference! we had 375 in the bow and 2 400s on either side of the engine and 750 in the back corner w/ 5 people lets just say i never thought I would see a wake that big come from my dd.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Shift your weight more to the front of the board to catch the wave. Cheat your front front towards the wave to keep the board steering into the wave. Good luck!