Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-20-2020, 3:35 AM Reply   
Any suggestions on how to fix this? Just epoxy, fiberglass, or solarez?
Attached Images

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-20-2020, 5:19 AM Reply   
Beyond repair, methinks. Board-shopping time!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-20-2020, 6:09 AM Reply   
I think I can do something with it. The guy that owns it is buying another board but wants this as a backup
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-21-2020, 1:24 PM Reply   
I would say that it won’t look the best but fiberglass and resin would work. You could use polyester or epoxy. Polyester is cheaper and easier to use, but epoxy is stronger. I would use a couple of layers of 4 or 6 oz surfboard fiberglass. I have more experience with epoxy and If using epoxy I would do each layer separately and then a final coat. Mix really well and you can cut off drips and add layers about every 2-2.5 hours. Then let it fully cure for 1-2 days before letting it touch water.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-22-2020, 12:15 AM Reply   
@e_rock32 .... maybe I am reading your response wrong.... So you are saying to use fiberglass cloth? (I don't think he is worried about the repair looking good) And use epoxy resin with the cloth (not polyester resin)? ... He tried to use straight epoxy, didn't let it cure long enough & rode it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2020, 9:09 AM Reply   
I delaminated one of my boards. Poured about a half cup of epoxy resin and clamped it together. It's rideable now.
Attached Images

Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-23-2020, 12:40 AM Reply   
The reason I am saying to use fiberglass cloth and resin is to protect the foam core. If not it will be structurally weak and more likely to break. A lot of people use epoxy as a glue and most hardware stores sell it that way, but if you go through a diy surfboard repair and home build they sell epoxy to use with surfboard lamination. Look at greenlight surf supply or more like it.

Polyester resin is much more accessible and can be found at hardware, marine, and automotive stores in kits of bondo. You can also get the resin and cloth from a surfboard home build store. Polyester or epoxy will work on a wakeboard since the foam they use is polyurethane and not polystyrene.

About cure time, you can use it after application in less than a day, but if it is still sticky the fresh coat will “blush” meaning that nice clear coat will turn white because it hasn’t finished the reaction and will react with the water.

I’m not sure if I’m seeing the picture right, but there looks like there might be some core damage. Make sure you use some type of filler. If either resin pools into something, it will get so hot that it will start melting anything it surrounds. Look up YouTube videos on ding repair on a surfboard.
Old     (MooSeMan)      Join Date: Sep 2017       06-25-2020, 2:30 AM Reply   
Boards Done... Thats why are boards are Seemless ,Raping the Carbon from the bottom to the Top...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-25-2020, 3:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooSeMan View Post
Boards Done... Thats why are boards are Seemless ,Raping the Carbon from the bottom to the Top...
Moose, its 2020. you can't do that to the carbon
#metoo
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-25-2020, 5:27 AM Reply   
https://www.surfsource.net/repair/

Everything you need for easy repairs.