Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-02-2015, 8:23 PM Reply   
I'm headed out to the Canyons in Park City on January 1 and could use some advice.

I currently have a 2011 Ride Machete 158, which i believe is flat (or possibly slightly cambered between the feet) and then rockered outside the middle. I got the board thinking that I wanted an all mountain board that was good in the park. However, I've realized the only time I spend in the park is a quick roll through to hit some kickers and that my riding now mainly consists of blasting down groomers/high speed carving, riding powder if/when it dumps, and throwing it around in the trees. I was wondering if a new/different board would be better suited for these things.

So I guess my current priorities in a board are: i) fast and stable, ii) good in all conditions (including corduroy, afternoon torn-up-conditions, and ice), iii) fun to mess around with and take through the trees and iv) good in powder.

Budget: since I already have a board and go on one trip a year, I'm trying to find last year's models somewhere around $3-400
Size: 6'0" and 175lb

Given these, I was looking at the 2015 Rossignol One Magtek 159 (I found for <$300) or something from Lib Tech, like the T Rice Pro, but haven't been able find any on sale. Any recommendations on boards and where to find deals?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-03-2015, 8:25 AM Reply   
Funny. I am similar in my riding style to you, and my previous board was a Ride Concept TMS. And I now have a Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro. It's a great board.

What size are you looking for?

This is a 155 for $377
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIB-TECH-T-R...gAAOSwAYtWM9Vv
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-03-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
That is funny, I guess I'm looking to make the same transition. Based on my research, it looked like 157 - 159 was the suggested range for most boards, given my size (6'0", 170lb and 10 or 11 size boot). That's a good find, but I was looking for the T Rice in a 157.

I ended up ordering the Rossignol One Magtek from the House after getting them to price match it down to $280 from this site.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-03-2015, 6:45 PM Reply   
I guess I went in the opposite direction as you. I now ride the '13 Ride Machete. I rode an all mountain board before this. The board was a Ride Decade from 2004. I have also rode a lot of other boards in between my boards. I swap with friends often. I am 5'9 and 230lbs and I feel like the Machete is the best I have rode. It is in between an all mountain and park board.

Just to give you an idea of my experience, I have been boarding for over 11 years with numerous trips to Colorado. The main thing is to find something you are comfortable on.

With that being said, I have friends that are 6'3 190lbs that ride a 153cm park board. Also, I
Old     (crow210)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-04-2015, 7:24 PM Reply   
I've spent a lot of time snowboarding, and best all around mountain board I've had was the original skate banana. Cambered is where its at. Great on the groomers and in the park, and on big powder days I just dropped the bindings back and it had great float. I was on a 159 and am the same size as you.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-05-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
check out the Never Summer SL-R, now called the Storm Trooper.

Its Rocker between your feet and camber outside. Twin with slight setback. It floats in powder, doesn't chatter at speed, has flex to play around a bit, like presses, and has great traction on ice.

I mostly ride trees/glades, bowls and occasional jaunt through the park for small kickers and large rails.

Board is fast and tough. When I upgrade, I'll consider the NS Cobra, it's more directional, and a little more towards powder without being a full on powder board.