Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-12-2015, 6:39 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about putting cat back dual exhaust on my 2013 Chevy 1500. A local place quoted me $800-$1000 for a kit. I thought that was high so I did some checking. I see there are a ton of kits on ebay for between $200-500. Are these kits any good. Can anyone comment on which ones are decent and which to stay away from?

I would do the exhaust and a K&N intake. Will I actually see more power and better fuel economy like they claim or is that just advertising? I like the sound, but if thats all I'm getting maybe its not worth it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
Save your money and have a muffler shop just put a custom magnaflo or flowmaster muffler and what ever tips you want. The in take will help but not much the newer stock intake flows much better than the old ones, they say they are good up to 500 hp. I would just do the air rad MIT tube with a drop in filter.

The biggest bang for you buck would be a custom tune by black bear performance or somebody like that.

Go to performance truck.net or gmfullsize.com and read there. They'll pretty much the same thing.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-12-2015, 8:50 PM Reply   
Your getting 99% sound. If your looking for a little gain, go with some long tubes, and some kind of cold air. Also look on Craigslist in your local area and see who offers hp tuning. I don't know what state you live in, if you don't have the yearly smog inspection then ditch the cats and have someone with hp tuner turn your secondary O2s off.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       04-13-2015, 7:06 AM Reply   
$800-1000 is stupid high for an exhaust kit. I had a local shop do my Dodge 1500 for about $250. That included all labor, new 3" exhaust from the cats to a choice of a 40, 50, or 70 series Flowmaster, and choice of chrome tips. I went with the 40 series (stupid loud, probably should've done the 50 series) with a single 3" in/double 3" out to a matching pair of 4"x18" Chrome rolled lip tips. It was a pretty nice setup for the money. Probably didn't really get a ton of power gain, but it sounded awesome, which is the only real gain from a cat back system on a truck.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
Long tube headers really do help a lot with power. They say on my 6.2 denali they are worth 35-45 rwhp to the ground with a tune. Just exhaust will be just for sound only.
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-13-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
X2 on the best bang for you buck being a tune, I have had very good luck with Black Bear http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

The difference without changing any hard parts is easily worth your time.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-13-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Guaranteed your mileage will go down with the dual exhaust, especially when you first get it. This is due to your need to goose it at every underpass and anywhere else you can hear yourself. You know, that whole "more me now" mentality.

Last edited by fish6942; 04-13-2015 at 8:59 AM.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-13-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
I can't stand loud its great for the first couple weeks then just annoying Get a gibson you can bolt on yourself you will get the performance and only deep and throaty when you floor it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
I agree. Nothing more annoying than loud exhaust on an under powered half ton truck. Long trips with loud exhaust drive me crazy when driving in the mountains or towing a boat where you're sitting at 3500 RPMs in need of power and the exhaust is screaming. My 2011 Sierra still has stock exhaust and I don't plan on changing it.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-14-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
I would add for CAI, the best thing you can do is run the stock box and a K&N drop in filter or something similar. As for exhaust like others have said cat back your getting mostly noise if you add headers and cats you can gain some, but not before you get a tune to take advantage of it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-15-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
I don't have any experience with Chevys. But I do know for all vehicles, it matters how the exhaust system and intake system were designed as to what mods work well for what vehicles. Some will just add sound and/or bling, sometimes at the cost of performance. Others will add some performance.

For instance I used to do Hondas, and they would respond very well to upgraded intake.
On my E46 BMW though, the intake was very well designed and there wasn't much improvement you could make for it. There were even people on the forums who dyno'd with factory airbox and with an aftermarket intake and had a loss in power with the aftermarket stuff, especially after it got heat soaked.

Some manufacturers make some models with everything lined up very well from factory and aside from aesthetics, you won't gain much there.
There are other manufacturers that throw in the same parts across a bunch of vehicles. It works well for most, but there may be some models that could be improved upon and that's where the mods help.
I know it was common for people with a CB7Accord DX/LX to put on headers, but those with an EX would leave them. This is because the DX/LX had a 4-1 reducer from the manifold to the exhaust and the EX had a 4-2-1 that flowed properly and gave a bit more power. Headers helped those with the DX/LX, but did nothing but add bling for the EX crowd.

So get on a chevy truck forum, see what people have done and what actually works to get more power and/or gas mileage and decide what will work best for you. There is no universal answer that applies to all vehicles.