Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-06-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
I purcahsed a light bar from Liquid Audio a couple years back on ebay and just removed it to have the bar itself powdercoated. While taking it apart I noticed the positive and negative wires starting to melt together. They had most of the wire connections connected with electrical tape. Some were actually conneceted with water tight butt connectors. Not sure why they would do all of them like that. I sent them an email last week and they have not responded as of right now. That is why I am posting this for others to be aware. I will post pictures in a few.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-06-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   

More to come
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-06-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   

I guess you get what you pay for. I didn't pay what they are asking on their site since it was purchased from their eBay site.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-06-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
Looks like you must have been getting some arcing. I'm sure if you re-splice back together and make sure all exposed wires are covered it will be fine.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-06-2014, 1:13 PM Reply   
I will fix it the right way. Just a company taking a cheap route.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-08-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
those halogen lights are power/amp suckers. you need a smaller guage ( larger diameter) wire. the power draw is melting the wire. your cable run is pretty long...do the math and see what you need.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
those halogen lights are power/amp suckers. you need a smaller guage ( larger diameter) wire. the power draw is melting the wire. your cable run is pretty long...do the math and see what you need.
Yep, exactly right. I had this bar on my boat and it ended up melting some wires together inside my dash. Ended up being a huge mess overall. I would look into the LED bar thread or limit your use on the lights. When mine melted was after night surfing and running them for a while. I wouldn't use them for any longer than a few minutes at a time with a small wire and even then they draw a lot of power...