Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2017, 8:46 AM Reply   
I know that there is a thread here somewhere, but...

Is this really true?

If it is, perhaps our new administration can fix this...:-)

I find it ridiculous , certainly if the central character is a freakin fish

http://joeforamerica.com/2017/01/cal...inwater-ocean/
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2017, 11:40 AM Reply   
First off let me say I think the LibraTards and their extreme environmental agenda are or will drive California into a drought. If we continue the policies that they are proposing no doubt 100% for sure we will be in the exact same situation drought sooner than later.

Now with regards to California's water supply as of today. With all of our lakes and reservoirs at or near capacity and a 30 foot base of snow I don't know what water officials are expected to do other than release water. Example if our water storage is full and we have a sudden spring melt, we could very quick we have more water then we know what to do with. The hundred thousand dollar question is how long do you let your lakes and reservoirs go, so that when the run off comes you have storage capacity for that.

The real shame will be if they release too much water now and the spring runoff doesn't fill our lakes enough.

But back to the original topic. The needs of the fish seem to trump the needs of the people
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
I know I have posted this link before but this video outlines why we are in trouble
https://youtu.be/xQ2UjZGtjaM
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-29-2017, 5:09 PM Reply   
When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."...John Muir.

That first article is full of BS.

Anyone who thinks this is "about a fish" is ignorant. These fish are the Canary in the coalmine. The salmon are nearly all gone. The health of the Delta which is the most fertile farmland in all of California relies on water flowing out to the sea if only to hold back the salt water...The Delta has tides and is part of the ocean.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2017, 8:26 AM Reply   
Here we are getting slammed again...San Luis is full all pumped in from the Delta...Look up how much water that is....These new warm storms are raining on the snow going to get as much as 10" rain...Here comes more flooding
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2017, 2:03 PM Reply   
What do you have to say about the FACT that striper bass are a fish that were not regulars in the Delta until recent, and are NOW a distructive part of the Eco system and they devour the baby Salmon by the Thousands!!!! You want more salmon to return. Build a fish block that some how stops the Striper Bass.

For years the fish hatcherys has raised farm grown baby salmon (fry) and set them free by the hundreds of thousands in the exact same spot in the river year after year. This has caused the migration of Striper Bass up into the Stanislaus river where they have never been. They are chasing the bait fish (the fry). It was only last year that the hatchery reliced the fry further out into the ocean because the river flows were so low.

But if you wanna use FISH as a canary in the Mine "fine" and this is all about fish "Fine" let's set up policy or procedures that increase fish.

I know people that work for the water agency's that are tasked with implanting Pulse flows. They say the Pulse flows actually kill the fish. They say the increase in water causes the rivers to rise. The fish lay their eggs in places that become high and dry once the Pulse flow is over. They said it also Blows the fish eggs that are already layed in the river bed off the river bed. It's complete BS the Pulse flows and the failed environmental policy of "more water equals more fish" is complete crap people in Washington try and implement that are hurting fish returning to rivers like the Stan!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2017, 3:17 PM Reply   
Raise the limits and lower the size restriction on strippers. They are non native. Get rid of them.

I really don't pay no mind to somebody who wants to talk water policy yet does not even know where the river that fills his home lake goes to meet the sea.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2017, 4:13 PM Reply   
Lake Oroville FULL and spilling and eroding it's spillway...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/kcra.re...le-dam/8687944
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-07-2017, 4:47 PM Reply   
Our little lake is 30" over spillway now. We will probably hit 36" WED/THU.
Attached Images

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-07-2017, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
Our little lake is 30" over spillway now. We will probably hit 36" WED/THU.
Is that Wildwood? Better tie that boat down! My buddy Scott lives down there, always looking for folks that want to ride.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
I'm really worried about this warm storm. I remember 1997 when we had so much flooding because the snow pack got rained on and melted. Fingers crossed.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2017, 6:06 PM Reply   
I pay close attention to where the water that fills my lake comes from
I pay close attention to my Lake and it's water Outlet into Goodwin Dam.
I pay close attention to the water that flows out of Goodwin and down the Stan.

Where the Stan touches the delta and how much of that water actually reaches the delta I'm no expert but that Dosent discount all the above. BFTSki your a dong Tard
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2017, 7:29 PM Reply   
Yes we told you where the Stan flows
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2017, 10:52 PM Reply   
Andy I know $hit flows down hill and that's where you are so enjoy
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-07-2017, 11:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Raise the limits and lower the size restriction on strippers. They are non native. Get rid of them.
Hey, I'm all good with ridding our cities of strippers. I never knew there was a size restriction on them. Lol
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2017, 8:10 AM Reply   
Dong tard 😂 dude do we have to go fight at the school yard?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2017, 8:25 AM Reply   
There is a difference in meaning of your and you're. If you had education you'd know that.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2017, 6:30 PM Reply   
Oh and it's Stanislaus.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2017, 6:35 PM Reply   
Oh and it's Stanislaus.

And Oroville is hitting 100%full SAT no way to let it down safely. It is likely that a huge amount of water will go over the dam uncontrolled and eroding the whole time
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2017, 6:38 PM Reply   
Andy: seeing how you are so Intrested in fish. I reliced a few brown trout into the "Stanislaus" for you
They should be comming your way and show up in the delta in a day or so. Enjoy

Went by Melonies today and it's sitting at 46% of full. Still need TONs of water I can't believe how much water would be needed to fill it up.
Attached Images

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2017, 6:48 PM Reply   
There are 30 major dams on the Stanislaus. New Melones probably should not have been built. If you read to the end you will see that what is happening now at Oroville has already happened at New Melones.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Melones_Dam
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-09-2017, 10:06 AM Reply   
I think we can all agree that this is funny.

Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-09-2017, 10:33 AM Reply   
I see your brown trout and raise you some steelhead
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/01/...n-Of-Steelhead
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2017, 2:09 PM Reply   
Dumping water from Orville last night made the crater 2X bigger. It is now 200 feet by 300 feet and 40 feet deep. They are wooried about head cutting up the hill.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2017, 2:13 PM Reply   
Pic.
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-09-2017, 3:06 PM Reply   
crazy to think people are now worried about the dam spilling into the emergency spillway. When it rains it pours!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-09-2017, 3:44 PM Reply   
The emergency spillway is basically the top of the dam...Just a low spot along the side with almost no cement that if it is going over indicates a dam out of control and subject to a total washout
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-09-2017, 4:14 PM Reply   
I can fix it. My dad has this awesome set of TV repair tools.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2017, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I can fix it. My dad has this awesome set of TV repair tools.

Crazy photo.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2017, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hmm. It looks like it is starting to breech at higher points in the spillway...

http://www.kcra.com/article/day-3-of...-stand/8698089
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2017, 5:48 PM Reply   
Evacuation is underway fear of total failure at Oroville Dam right now
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       02-13-2017, 10:12 AM Reply   
With 5" of rain in the forecast this week, Oroville at 99% capacity, and a severely damaged spillway, this might make Katrina look like a puddle.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-13-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
Anybody ride much at that lake? Me and the family head up there every summer - sister has a place in Oroville, and we usually spend a few days on the lake. I love that place. It's such a crazy launch ramp setup with 3 different levels by the dam, and when the water is high two full parking lots and ramps being completely submerged.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-13-2017, 7:16 PM Reply   
Some of my best memories are from houseboating summers on Oroville. Great place. Hope everyone stays safe.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
The lake is yuge and we are selling it to Russia
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-19-2017, 8:37 PM Reply   
Fascinating story. Too bad we killed off the early warning signs.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-catastrophe/
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-20-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
Thank goodness the last storms went down to SoCal ...If NorCal had not got that break there's no way we would have made it. Almost all the big lakes are now full or nearing full or already spilling and not providing any flood control. Currently we are again under flood warnings and receiving another dose of atmospheric river. Spring if it ever comes is going to be insanely beautiful in all California.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-01-2017, 7:21 AM Reply   
California Delta CLOSED. Too much 💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Went by Melonies today and it's sitting at 46% of full. Still need TONs of water I can't believe how much water would be needed to fill it up.

I doubt Melonis will ever be full...Not sure if it's true but I read where they basically were claiming "normal" winters aren't even enough to keep up with downstream demand from that lake.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-01-2017, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
California Delta CLOSED. Too much 💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦
YEP!!! Wonder how long that's going to last.....
Disco residents must be furious!