Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-05-2015, 5:25 AM Reply   
So on my last post a couple weeks ago I was asking about some different setups because I am new to wakeboarding... And ended up getting a Parks camber with Ronix Preston bindings. Two questions... the board came with 1" fins, .6" fins and in some edits I've seen people riding it with no fins. I'm sure it's personal preference mostly but wanted to hear some peoples opinions on that?.
My second and more important question is... I almost always ride my snowboard setups 12° both feet perfectly centered on a twin and the first thing I noticed when standing in* in my living room with this stance is that I won't be riding as sideways when holding a rope which twists my shoulders and hips towards the boat as I am sure you all are aware of.* So to any snowboarders out there do you ride with more forward angle in your bindings than you would with your snowboard setups. I have a feeling it will feel better for riding in my normal stance but when riding switch I I feel like it could be an issue for me. I'm sure these seem like stupid questions that I will have to experience for myself but I like to over analyze everything and have a solid 5 or 6 weeks before I even get to try.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-05-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
Start with the .6" fins, The 1" will track a little more aggressively but if you're just getting started you'll want some forgiveness. After you progress enough to where you're comfortable, switch it up and see if you like the larger fins. Depending on your style If you want a more playful loose ride, you might prefer the smaller ones. If your boat riding you'll want some fins on there, if you jibbing on sliders is when its advantageous to ride without them so they don't hang up on the sliders.

Keep the symmetric stance. I ride the same angles 23" width on my snowboard...I maintain about the same geometry for my wakeboard. I imagine you'll want to be able to ride switch, i wouldn't recommend positive angles.

Nice, Id like to test out a camber board If you get a chance to compare your board with a standard rocker contour Id be interested to hear what you think.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2015, 11:10 AM Reply   
Snowboarders typically know how to work their edges pretty well, and the camber boards (although I've not yet been lucky enough to demo), they are said to provide more responsive feel for the edges, so I would argue to go ahead and try it finless the first few times and see how you like that. If you learn to ride finless, especially on that board, then you will never know the difference, and ultimately it probably provides a more versatile ride unless you really want to emphasize raley-based tricks (but not many people do these days). Behind a boat, it is easy to add more fin depth later if you decide you want more grip, but it is harder to go shallower and looser if you have learned to ride in the first place with a grippier board (in the tradition of waterskiing), because you feel like you are losing something. Regardless, don't use those 1" fins - it is way overkill for somebody with your background any way you look at it.

Bottom line, riding finless is harder, but it is easier for someone to learn this way coming from snow, so you might as well give it a go as you are starting out. Put the training wheels on later if riding finless is proving too hard and you are not having fun with it.

I ride 12 degrees symmetric stance, centered, and I ride this same stance for snow, boat, cable, what have you.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
And BTW, it will feel awkward at first, but resist the urge to rotate your hips toward the boat when you ride. Try to keep your hips parallel to the path of the boat and parallel to the rope as if your hips continue in the same line as an extension of rope behind the boat path. If you develop the bad habit of rotating your hips toward the boat, then you will need to unlearn this later on as you start working on toeside edging and toeside jumps/grabs. One of the reasons I think people like fins is because it lets you get away with less correct form on toeside cuts and jumps.
Just my opinion of course, but from somebody who has been wakeboarding since it was invented and who has been snowboarding more than 2 decades.
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-06-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know I will have to experience it personally to get dialed in but like to get some input on does and don'ts beforehand. I am a 30 to 50 day a season snowboarder for 20 + years and think my son and I will take to it quickly. Thanks again!
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-06-2015, 3:24 PM Reply   
One thing though...you said do not square the hips to the boat?...just shoulders. So I assume your back arm will take the majority of the pull?...being it would be more extended or am I to try to even this out somehow?
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-06-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
And lastly sorry
I will be able to compare it to a lf Harley that my buddy just picked to poach on my gas
I'll compare to the best of my ability when the weather comes
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-07-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
I think I snowboarded 12 years before getting into wake boarding. It came very naturally, but some fellow snowboarders said it didn't. To each their own.

Since you are starting fresh, try to spend equal time riding toe and heel, regular and goofy, and hitting the wake in all those combos. Just like so many snowboarders, that can only ride one direction competently, many new wakeboarders get stuck just riding heel edge on wake jumps and the toe side is underdeveloped. Something I was guilty of in both sports, until forcing myself to spend days doing the uncomfortable. I wish I had split my time evenly from day 1 riding switch and doing toe side jumps.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-07-2015, 9:43 PM Reply   
I would say optimal handle position is much more complicated and nuanced, and slight variations can be the basis for all different sorts of tricks. I'm sure there are tons of people on here more qualified to coach than I am, so maybe some other folks can weight in on this. In general, your arms are both somewhat bent, and the handle should be low and close in to your body. If your arms are not yet strong for wakeboading, then yes it might feel like your back arm is taking the majority of the pull, but once you build up strength, you should be able to pull equally with both arms bent, and again the subtleties of the pull are one of the keys to wake boarding. Many years ago, Dean Lavelle taught me a trick that really seemed to help, as he said keep the handle in tight and low, and then squeeze the handle as you begin to catch air off the lip of the wake. That simple trick of squeezing the handle made a big difference. It instantly allowed my wife to begin clearing both wakes HS W2W, and it allowed me to turn my HS FS 3 into a HS FS 5. But that was a while ago.
I would be very interested to hear what advice others might have about handle position.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2015, 7:58 PM Reply   
I would suggest watch a bunch of videos of people riding, and try to study what is happening with handle position on various tricks, especially on toeside cuts and jumps. You will probably notice sometimes people are rotating their hips toward the boat (like I warned against), but only when they are about to initiate a frontside spin or invert with frontside rotation, because in these cases you want to rotate. But for most other types of tricks, you don't want a frontside rotation, so you pull from the leading hip or even slightly behind it (as if putting the handle in your back pocket) if you want backside rotation like for a method or a backside spin.
I'm surprised more people are chiming in on this. I guess maybe it really is more about surfing these days. Wow. Or maybe just because it's still cold outside.