Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-02-2015, 12:51 AM Reply   
Every time I cover my 07 malibu vlx inside/outside the top of my vinyl is turning a reddish brown in huge strips, and not just in areas touched by the cover. I placed towels on the sunpad between the cover and vinyl and it still comes back. I leave it in the sun for a day and its all gone. I did some research and some say its mold underneath the vinyl? I'm in California (dry) and my boat hardly ever sees rain and if it does its for a half day. I used a bunch of cleaning products except bleach and it doesn't go away, only sun will remove it. My seats are cleaned regularly with babes and I condition/ 303 them.

Suggestions would be nice, or is it over and the boat needs new seats?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-02-2015, 4:39 AM Reply   
You can still have mold even in Cali... It's from not drying it out all the way and covering it up in the heat. It wicks from the pad to the surface when covered, when uncovered the UV rays are killing what has wicked through..
1. You can try and pull the seat apart and replace the pad or clean and spray.
2. Put a barrier in between the pad and vinyl, a lot of companies do this..
3. Have the interior completely replaced, this means pad as well..
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-02-2015, 7:28 AM Reply   
I own a Mastercracft X45 and it happens also to me. The vinyl turns Red/brown (as if it had stains of wine) whenever the cover is on and its raining. When I remove the cover the vinyl is stained. After a day in the sun everything disappears.
I covered the vinyl with a cotton sheet but things did not improve. When the cover was new it was more waterproof and the problem was less. now I believe that water leaks through the cover and the vinyl is constantly wet.
I will try to protect the vinyl with a plastic sheet so that water cannot get in touch with the vinyl, at least I hope.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-02-2015, 10:28 AM Reply   
Never had an issue on my '05 Malibu until this year, I bought a black cover replacing my light tan one. The second temps hit over 95* same thing started happening to me. put the light tan cover back on and no issues. It's a know issue and has nothing to do with mold. You can read all about it on themalibucrew.com, there's a ton of threads on it. The heat generated underneath the cover does something to the glue in the seats causing it to bleed through or something like that. Day in the sun bleaches it back to normal. Makes no difference if the cover is actually touching, its just caused by really high temps and happen's to most boats in that era.

Edit: I would try a light colored cover before anything mentioned above

Last edited by T_A; 09-02-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add suggestion
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-02-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
So glad I get to buy an $800 cover now. Thank you all for the advice, I had a feeling it isnt mold, I try to always dry my boat out, during the winter I let it sit in a storage unit uncovered.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-02-2015, 1:06 PM Reply   
Not sure that the cause is high temps.
My cover is black but if it is not exposed to rain the vinyl does not get stained.
Otherwise if I put a cotton sheet betweent the cover and the seats this should prevent the seats from turning red since there would be a shield between the cover and the seats. But it does not work in that way, at least for me.

I am pretty sure that it is the black cover the problem, but combined with rain.
I keep the boat outside the whole year and the problem occurs also during winter. No high temps in that season.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-03-2015, 11:25 AM Reply   
Hey you might be on the wrong track if your riders use spray sun block thats probably your problem . The avobenzone stains vinyl orange . The sun will eventually bleach it out but sometimes it comes back .Theres a no spray sun block rule on my boat that **** ruined my Malibu interior . I even read the lotions people bring too and dont let the ones containing avobenzone on the boat ..i keep a bunch so they can use mine or get the f*#k off the boat ... no colored drinks either lol
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-03-2015, 11:26 AM Reply   
try googling avobenzone stains
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-03-2015, 6:18 PM Reply   
I've gotten the reddish stains on my interior after 3 days of leaving the boat in the sun with my black cover on. Just to prove that its the black cover, malibu even voids the warranty for that very issue if you use a black cover. I believe that is why all the covers are light grey now. just one day in the sun and it went away. What i noticed that works, if you elevated the cover off the vinyl with pool noodles, it stops the stains. Next time you use your cover, just feel how hot it is sitting in the sun! I now store my boat under a a big portable garage and leave the cover off.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-03-2015, 8:01 PM Reply   
I used noodles on mine and a strap/pole support system to make sure the cover wasn't touching. I still had the discoloration. I store my boat outside and it hasn't rained in months, only happened once it hit mid 90's - 100s outside so I know it's heat related. If it's happening cause of rain you probably have mildew/mold problems and a seperate issue. I use an air dryer full time and it stays almost completely dry under my cover at all times.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-04-2015, 8:39 PM Reply   
Pics or it didn't happen
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-04-2015, 10:16 PM Reply   
Pretty common Mastercraft problem. I bought an evolution cover and never looked back.