Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Rich_Bruening)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2015, 3:35 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I've been keeping a good eye on the market and good deals for some years now. I am newly married and now moving to a place with a double garage. That being said, I would imagine I would have my first boat here in the next couple years (about time). My first boat will most likely be a DD, probably below 10k, My brother and I get a lot of time in winter with our work to fix anything that would need addressed, so I don't need it perfect. I'm thinking Nautique 2001, maybe a Nautique sport from mid 90s at best. That being said, a lot of these on the market don't have a tower and a decent sturdy tower will run about 1k. Which got me thinking... A lot of wakeboats have the tower. It almost defines an inboard as a "wakeboat" and the tower is basically a given if you plan to go w2w and more. Have any of you ridden from a pylon through a regular set and noticed that big of difference? I'd hate to buy a 5-8k DD then wait till I save up enough to afford a tower to actually put the boat to good use...

To be honest, I haven't pulled from a pylon in some time, I figure if you got the tower, why not?

Don't get me wrong, I would still love to spend a day with a 12pack and a few friends and casually ride that morning on an old DD without tower.

As always, any input is much appreciated
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2015, 4:21 PM Reply   
You can ride and go w2w without a tower. You can also probably find an old used pylon extension that will accomplish the same thing as a tower.
Old     (Rich_Bruening)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2015, 6:23 PM Reply   
Well that is a given, my fist invert was behind a 21' i/o. I'm talking about the regular set and advancing the trick book. Would it be a huge holdback? Or more so a "minor inconvenience"

I suppose it would help to note my current set involves a couple variations of inverts, switch heel 1's, 3's and generally working on consistency and form. Unfortunately, we don't get out 1 or 2 times a week like we used to. Hence the urge to purchase a DD in the next few years. The convenience of my own boat would get me out much more often.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2015, 8:22 PM Reply   
The tow point makes a huge difference. My dad has an 86 Mastercraft, and sometimes just for kicks I'll take a set off his pylon, and I'm always amazed at how much quicker I wear out. With a high tow point you glide across the water. With a low tow point, you kinda feel like you're plowing through the water. If I had to choose between a boat with a high tow point/no ballast and a boat with a low tow point/ballast, I'd take the boat with the high tow point every time. If a tower isn't in the budget right away, search around for a used pylon extension. It'll introduce some side roll, but it'll be much, much better than a standard pylon.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-17-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Buy one with a tower already purchased by the previous owner.
Old     (jsans)      Join Date: Apr 2015       09-17-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
I have seen plans for diy pylons from a hardware store for roughly 50.00
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-17-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
I agree you can find a boat in your budget with a tower ..you might have to consider something other then a correct craft but there is other great brands out there
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
Get a Skylon, then you put it on when you need to use it. I would disagree about buying a boat already with a tower, especially a DYI tower. You have no idea the strength, longevity, and support that tower may or may not have. Some simple screws through the fiberglass aren't going to hold up long.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-21-2015, 8:49 PM Reply   
Do your diligence and buy one done right. I've installed two Chinese towers on ski boats that have been in service with no issues for 10 years. Every ski boat at my beach has a aftermarket tower installed, including 3 2001's, so they're pretty common. My favorite is definitely the Samson bur the price reflects it.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-01-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
I agree you can find a boat in your budget with a tower ..you might have to consider something other then a correct craft but there is other great brands out there
I couldn't agree more. adding a tower would cost $1k to $3k. But buying a boat that already has a tower is only going to cost maybe $500 over the price of one without.

That said, you should expand your search. You should be able to find a Supra for your budget. You'd get the open bow and should be able to find one that has a tower already for the $10k if you're savvy. Get a 92 or newer as they have the composite stringers.

Don't forget that the tower also adds a place for you to put racks to carry boards and a place to mount tower speakers.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       10-04-2015, 11:13 PM Reply   
I ride a 1989 ski nautique 2001, its a great little boat. I use a flyhigh extended pylon that i got from overtons for $400. it works great. the wake is great, we can wake to wake no problem at 65' with no ballast and two people in the boat, but i normally ride with 300 lbs of steel shot in the nose and another 120 in the back seat and a 700lb flyhigh sack on the floor behind the motor, that wake is plenty big and steep i ride that at 75'. i also put a acme 470 prop on there, the stock prop was terrible with that much wieght. to surf we put another 700 lb flyhigh sack on whatever side of the motor to list, if there are more than 2 people in the boat when surfing we empty the rear sack a bit, maybe 2/3s, otherwise the back end sinks to much.

if you have any more questions about maintinence, setup or want some pictures send me a pm

i do plan on getting a tower for it eventually just to get some board racks. probably this one http://www.joystickwakeboarding.com/pro-series/

Last edited by Riley212; 10-04-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: forgot a pic
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-05-2015, 8:54 AM Reply   
For surfing, you can do it with the pylon or a tower. Its way easier to get out of the water with a tower, but it's not difficult to do it with a pylon ;-).
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
Here my 89 with a Samson tower, it cost some $$$, but it's worth it in my opinion.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1444082638168.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  71.2 KB