Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chip123)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-18-2019, 8:07 PM Reply   
I have been told the new Malibu VTX is the best option...any other models/years to consider?

Do i have to go with a v-drive, any direct drive options worth considering?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2019, 8:34 PM Reply   
How bout, “what’s the best square peg for a round hole?”
Old     (chip123)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-19-2019, 7:29 AM Reply   
Lol. i know i know. realize it's an oxymoron. I am not a course skier BUT..don't want a wake that is going to limit my slalom progression. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old     (BLucas86)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-19-2019, 8:12 AM Reply   
Tige RZR would be great at both. Better at surf than slalom, but could accomplish both and leave you and the family smiling ear to ear at the end of the day.

if new, you'd be searching for a Tige R20, and could option it to suit your needs.

Cheers.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-19-2019, 8:53 AM Reply   
Supra SR may be a good option as well.

Good Luck!!!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-19-2019, 8:57 AM Reply   
Malibu VTX
MasterCraft XT20, or XT21
Nautique GS20
Maybe also the Moomba Mondo and Supra SR

If you want the best balance of a "jack of all trades" boat, you will want to stick to 20-21 foot size range, and avoid boats with deeper v's/more deadrise.

You cant hide the weight of the bigger boats, and you cant hide the bigger bump from the deeper v boats.

Any of the direct drive options don't have enough freeboard. They are too low to safely load up with todays standards for surf boat weights.

Your best option is 2 boats! Buy a 2014-15 23 LSV (or equivalent), and a 2005 Prostar (or equivalent).
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-20-2019, 6:56 PM Reply   
Either one of these. The Centurion Fi and Ri are nothing to sneeze at when it comes to crossover boats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONkS2qHZTk&t=929s

Last edited by Shakarocks; 02-20-2019 at 6:58 PM. Reason: Said combo rather than crossover.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-21-2019, 11:58 AM Reply   
I don’t know if it gets better than a GS22....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCg-F0BO3ZM
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       02-22-2019, 7:43 AM Reply   
Not to many boats will slalom and surf well but there is a few . My first choice would be SANGER V215. Big enough to surf small enough for nice slalom wake as well . Handles way better then anything else in the same category when just having fun.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-23-2019, 7:15 AM Reply   
As others have said, staying in the 20-21' range will be your best bet. I'd be looking for the boat in that size range with a flatter hull design (Supra SR, Malibu VTX, MC XT20/21) that packs the most ballast. Hull design is going to be key for getting the ski wake you want, but the amount of ballast you have is what will mostly determine how happy you are with the surf wake. Not saying hull design isn't important for surf too, but displacement (ballast) trumps everything when it comes to surf. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and be sure to ski and surf them all!
Old     (Adam_Brewer)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-23-2019, 7:54 AM Reply   
How big of a boat are you wanting? Three Tige models that I would look into would be the RZR/R20 and the RZX2.

If you are able to, I would recommend doing a demo on a Tige RZX2. I have taken a few people out and they have been really impressed by it's ability to ski and surf so well.

Not the best video of someone skiing behind one, but at least it will give you an idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0fzMpzgFLs

Last edited by Adam_Brewer; 02-23-2019 at 7:56 AM. Reason: .
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-23-2019, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
How bout, “what’s the best square peg for a round hole?”
What’s the best round peg for a square hole?

A Chevy pickup’s wheel wells
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-25-2019, 9:19 AM Reply   
Nautique GS22. Better slalom wake than the 20 and surf able right off of the showroom floor. Add pro ballast it and it'll make it a bit better. Cant beat the Nautique fit and finish.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-28-2019, 1:21 PM Reply   
Sanger V215
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-28-2019, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
As others have said, staying in the 20-21' range will be your best bet. I'd be looking for the boat in that size range with a flatter hull design (Supra SR, Malibu VTX, MC XT20/21) that packs the most ballast. Hull design is going to be key for getting the ski wake you want, but the amount of ballast you have is what will mostly determine how happy you are with the surf wake. Not saying hull design isn't important for surf too, but displacement (ballast) trumps everything when it comes to surf. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and be sure to ski and surf them all!
^ This
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-01-2019, 12:06 PM Reply   
This boat doesn't surf for ****. its awful. Great for wake boarding and Skiing.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-01-2019, 10:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip123 View Post
Lol. i know i know. realize it's an oxymoron. I am not a course skier BUT..don't want a wake that is going to limit my slalom progression. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
without knowing your complete budget and situation, my adivice is this: With the resale price of direct drives being low buy a boat for the course and another for surfing. You mentioned progression and that isn't possible behind a boat that surfs. They require two completely different running surfaces. If it has to be an all in 1 solution i'd give up skiing and surfing and just wakeboard.
Old     (gdmatson)      Join Date: Jan 2018       03-02-2019, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
Either one of these. The Centurion Fi and Ri are nothing to sneeze at when it comes to crossover boats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONkS2qHZTk&t=929s
X2 on that! Specifically the Fi. The Ri doesn’t come with a ski pylon which in my opinion kinda takes it out.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-09-2019, 5:59 AM Reply   
gnarly topic
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-11-2019, 5:56 PM Reply   
Two boats
Old     (haveboatwilltravel)      Join Date: Feb 2019       03-12-2019, 3:54 PM Reply   
tried to edit my post but waited too long. DO NOT buy a Sanger V215 if you want to surf. Owned that boat and it doesn't surf worth $hit. The stock 2500 LBS isnt near enough for a surfable wake. it took a Surfgate and about 4000lbs to get it to surf and at that point you are dealing with not a lot of freeboard and wallowing pig.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-13-2019, 3:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmatson View Post
X2 on that! Specifically the Fi. The Ri doesn’t come with a ski pylon which in my opinion kinda takes it out.
Ummmmm are you sure about that?
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-13-2019, 4:21 AM Reply   
My bad I re read your post fi comes with a ski pylon the ri does not. Fi will be better than ri because of less weight and draft
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-21-2019, 7:52 PM Reply   
I had the same search last year and after a lot of demos and research, there is a 2019 gs22 in my garage. It’s not the best at any one thing but it is the best overall boat for my family. The dealership had a big role in the decision as well.
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-21-2019, 10:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
I had the same search last year and after a lot of demos and research, there is a 2019 gs22 in my garage. It’s not the best at any one thing but it is the best overall boat for my family. The dealership had a big role in the decision as well.

My dealer claims the gs20 and gs22 slalom wake is almost identical. Curious if you ski’d both and would have an unbiased opinion on that? Im currently in an ‘08 Malibu Vtx.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-22-2019, 4:40 AM Reply   
Very similar. Size needs was a big part of our decision. The gs22 seemed to have a little softer wake at 30mph but was still pretty firm, small lip but definitely firm. I also had a chance to demo an ‘18 VTX and the wake was softer than the gs but also bigger. It had a larger table and was more intimidating to cross. I’m sure a large part of that is mental. I have heard that the ‘19 VTX is better, for us a 20’ boat just wasn’t in the cards. The gs22 also has more surf potential than the gs20. With an extra 1000lbs it’s surf wave really starts to build up.
We also considered a 2 boat option but unless you live on the water that just seemed daunting and silly.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2019, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
What’s the best round peg for a square hole?

A Chevy pickup’s wheel wells

haha! Yup!