Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Just started Wakeskating late this year since it's too much trouble to weight my boat for surf in between board sets for my son and nephew. I got a Hyperlite Catalyst 43" board now and looking for something new and probably smaller. (6'1" 200lbs) Trying to understand construction and differences between bi-level and regular. Do I want a simple wood board like the Catalyst? Or foam core glassed boards?
I know there are tons of threads about which board should I get, I've read through those, but I'm trying to understand construction and pros and cons to differences.

Thanks!
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
I just google imaged bi level skates... didn't expect what I found. Never seen one like that in person. Seems to me they would make it easier to catch an edge? I don't know though, obviously.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-30-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
gives you the rounded base of a wakeboard for the wet surface and the flat deck of a skate with kick tails for your stompers up top. Also doubles the price in most cases and makes it really heavy.

Personally I'm done with wood boards from the major makers. They simply aren't using the right materials and refuse to warranty them. So catalyst is out. If you want wood, go Oak, New, etc.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-30-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
I'm giving Maher a shot. I've seen him around INT a bunch the last couple years and he's boasted that none of his boards have broke yet. Hell, I can't do any trick that can break one anyway and at the price of an Integrity (if there is even one available for purchase), I can have 3 Maherwake skates.

It's a learning process, I'm down for it.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-22-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
SHELDON, the theory behind the bilevel skate is the same of a snowskate with a ski on the bottom vs a plastic deck that lies right on the snow. Instead of sinking your back foot into the water top pop the board out, as you snap your ollie the top deck snaps off the bottom and you pop off the water, instead of sinking down into the water. whether this really works is all personal pref. i've ridden many bilevels and i am now back to a flat deck, if you go with a bilevel get an OBSCURA SST. they are the best in my opinion, the ronix zariel is sick as well.